SVT rear disk brake caliper brackets - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #21
Lappracing
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 74732
What I Drive: 2009 Focus black/silver

FF Reputation: 2 Lappracing Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue5ive View Post
Hate to burst Lappracings bubble but the SVT rear caliper mounting bracket is a completely seperate piece from the spindle. The caliper mounting bracket is what Ford discontinued. This bracket mounts to the 2 holes at the top of the spindle and holds the caliper. I have a pair laying around. Came with a used SVT rear disc kit I bought. Planning to buy new spindles and hubs with bearings b4 I install the kit but that might be a few months from now. I could maybe let you borrow them from me for your measurements and work up.
There's no "Bursting Bubbles".

The SVT/ST spindle has an integrated caliper bracket, the non SVT/ST doesn't. The caliper mounting bracket I was refering to is part of the spindle.

The top picture is the SVT/ST Disc brake spindle with the integrated bracket, and the lower is the non-Disc bracket spindle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #22
Blue5ive
R.I.P Kona

Fan#: 83941
What I Drive: 2003 TW Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 9 Blue5ive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
The top picture is the SVT spindle only. Those top 2 holes on the spindle are for the caliper mounting bracket to bolt to. In your picture of the calipers that gold piece is the caliper mounting bracket that was discontinued and confirmed with Steve at Tousley. It is the piece that bolts to the top of the spindle and that the rest of the caliper mounts to. I have a complete set sitting in front of me at the moment.
Hatch Nation #9
"2 by 2 Hands of Blue."
Old 01-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #23
gun_runner
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91693
What I Drive: 2000, Dirt Metallic, Kona ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 gun_runner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Hey Blue5ive, if you could let me borrow those, or one of them if they are universal, that would be awesome! I would obviously pay shipping both ways, and if I end up making them from billet, maybe I can hook you up with the first pair.

Now, is the SVT caliper different than the ST caliper? If they are, are they both still available?
Old 01-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #24
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gun_runner View Post
Hey Blue5ive, if you could let me borrow those, or one of them if they are universal, that would be awesome! I would obviously pay shipping both ways, and if I end up making them from billet, maybe I can hook you up with the first pair.

Now, is the SVT caliper different than the ST caliper? If they are, are they both still available?
The caliper it self is the same. What makes them different is the caliper bracket (caliper sliders) thats what makes the caliper slide. Which postions the height of the caliper over the rotor. You can see it the pix where the different position of the ears of the caliper brackets that bolts to the spindle. You can find reman svt calipers, but most of them are the caliper only w/o the bracket. And when they come w/ a bracket it also comes w/ a spendy core price.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 02-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #25
davindeadly
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84075
What I Drive: 2009 Sangria Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 davindeadly Good Standing Member
I know this is kind of a dead thread, but gun_runner did you ever find what you were looking for? I'm really wanting to do the rear disc swap, so I've been doing some research around here and other places.

When searching 'spindle' for a 2005 Focus on fordparts.com I found these two diagrams. One is of a rear drum, and the other is a rear disc. Part #4A492 is the number for the rear axle spindle, and when searching that number there's no results found... So does anyone know what the spindle part number is for non-SVT vehicles?
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2014, 09:42 PM   #26
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85112
What I Drive: 2010 Ingot Silver Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 lacole725 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davindeadly View Post
I know this is kind of a dead thread, but gun_runner did you ever find what you were looking for? I'm really wanting to do the rear disc swap, so I've been doing some research around here and other places.

When searching 'spindle' for a 2005 Focus on fordparts.com I found these two diagrams. One is of a rear drum, and the other is a rear disc. Part #4A492 is the number for the rear axle spindle, and when searching that number there's no results found... So does anyone know what the spindle part number is for non-SVT vehicles?
I know this is a couple months old, but I am trying to get parts sourced for a rear disc conversion on my '10 to ST brakes. I'm planning on getting everything except for the rotors, pads, and calipers in order to get the TCE Wilwood rear kit.

The part you are trying to find is called "Axle Shaft for Disc Brake" and the part number is 4A013. They must've changed the part number, I had the same problem finding the part. It is under the Drums, Rotors, and Hubs subsection of the Brakes section.

All I am having trouble finding is the caliper bracket. The part being pictured above is not the caliper bracket, it is the spindle. The holes up top are the mounting points for the caliper bracket, which is where the caliper mounts.

It looks like if you buy a loaded caliper from a parts store (like Autozone), it will come with a bracket. At least this is what it looks like when comparing pictures of "Caliper Only" and "Loaded Caliper." The loaded caliper is $125 for one plus a $20 core charge. Since we wouldn't have a core, the cost for an axle set is $290 for the caliper, bracket, and pads.

So far, this brake swap looks to be extremely expensive. I've tallied over $800 in parts, not included brackets, pads, rotors. Of course, this is all directly from Ford, so cheaper parts could probably be found.

Just wondering if any headway has been made, as getting a separate bracket made would save me a lot on parts cost if I decide to do this upgrade. The more the cost elevates, the less willing I am to complete it.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:27 PM   #27
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
I'd try & get a Baer BBK for the front & then look in wrecking yards & the bst section here for the 10'' st rear brakes. There are a couple for sale a bit ago here.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131

Bookmarks & Social Networks