Anyone having problems with rust spots? - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #41
Burns098356GX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94777
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

Points 1,136, Level 18
Points: 1,136, Level: 18 Points: 1,136, Level: 18 Points: 1,136, Level: 18
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Burns098356GX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'd get the dealer to look at it before you put effort into cleaning it. You might make it worse and the void the warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using FF Mobile
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #42
the_dog
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97263
What I Drive: Subaru Impreza

FF Reputation: 1 the_dog Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns098356GX View Post
I'd get the dealer to look at it before you put effort into cleaning it. You might make it worse and the void the warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using FF Mobile
You are not going to damage the car or affect your warranty with a clay bar. Give it a try, it's hard to mess up if you follow the directions on the box. This is classic rail dust, and it won't be covered under warranty.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #43
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krizayjm View Post
2012 ford focus just flipped 20k miles only 9 months old. I live in ohio which means snow and salt. Car has been pretty dirty for a few weeks so I ran it through a car wash today since the temp has finally climbed above freezing and around both of my rear wheel arches there are small rust spots developing! Has anyone else had this issue?
Should have gotten a rust protection of some kind...I live in Cleveland and I've gotten rust protection on every car I've ever owned. I've never had rust...even after 10+ years. It's almost mandatory up here.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #44
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 JCW GP

Points 2,504, Level 30
Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
You might want to pick up some IronX.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ro-iron-x.html
Old 01-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #45
Krizayjm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102581
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 Krizayjm Good Standing Member
looks like its gonna b a nice day here tomorrow. (low 60's) and sun. hopefully ill get the chance to give it a good cleaning and run the clay bar over it. its been bothering the crap outa me.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #46
Krizayjm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102581
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 Krizayjm Good Standing Member
zillon i heard about iron-x just read about it infact. seems like a GREAT product. what is your experience with it? should i still use the clay bar if i use the iron-x product or will the iron-x do everything a clay bar will.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #47
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 JCW GP

Points 2,504, Level 30
Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
zillon i heard about iron-x just read about it infact. seems like a GREAT product. what is your experience with it? should i still use the clay bar if i use the iron-x product or will the iron-x do everything a clay bar will.
I don't have any personal experience with it, but it's something that is highly regarded within the automotive detailing community. I see it used time and time again by people in their detailing process.

I'd be more inclined to do the IronX first, and if that doesn't work, go for the clay.

Just make sure you follow up with a good coat of wax.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #48
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
Quote:
E30og stated in the first post I currently have 20k miles, purchased the car in march 2012 I live in ohio which yes there is salt on the roads and I do 90% highway driving. I've owned 4 cars in my past and have need seen rust start to develop after 9 short months or not even make it through one winter.
Its the Salt and the Highway driving, along with the STEEP angle our hoods face the road. After like 6 months of (almost strictly) highway driving with mine, my hood was peppered the entire way up! best solution is protection, but first get those rust spots taken care of. Go to the dealer and blast them....go through the pain and agony of forcing Ford to repaint it (warranty! use it!)

AFTER it is totally taken care of, the only way to prevent it is protection. Get a 3m ClearBra for the entire front end...bumper fenders etc.

Additionally, when you do the hood, get the entire hood covered; the hood is at such an angle that the whole thing is just as exposed as the little strip they usually do in the front end. If the entire hood costs too much, buy the 3m paint protection film off fleaby and do it yourself, or try to pay one of the tint guys under the table to do it. Totally worth it and very important! If you don't do the entire hood (with your driving conditions), plan on repainting it in the future. It is definitely easy enough to be a DIY type of project, but it's just time consuming.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #49
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
let me add, DO NOT mess around with a clay bar or doing any junk like that! Put all of your efforts into the dealer right now. Paint is warrantied and that is still BS. Part of the thousands you spent on the car goes into that warranty, use it!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #50
the_dog
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97263
What I Drive: Subaru Impreza

FF Reputation: 1 the_dog Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30og View Post
let me add, DO NOT mess around with a clay bar or doing any junk like that! Put all of your efforts into the dealer right now. Paint is warrantied and that is still BS. Part of the thousands you spent on the car goes into that warranty, use it!
Industrial fallout is not warrantied, and in fact is totally NORMAL. It is not specific to Ford, it occurs on all cars with paint. If you wash your car and then use a clay bar with Meguiar's Quik Exterior Detail as a lubricant, there is virtually NO WAY you can damage your paint with a clay bar. There are no harsh chemicals, and as long as the car is clean you are not going to scratch the paint. Try a clay bar on a small section before you take it to the dealership or do anything else- it is specifically designed for this.

In general, dealerships don't have a clue how to properly treat paint on a car, hence DIS (dealer-installled-swirls) on most lots. The dealership is the last place I would go to address this. If the clay bar doesn't work, which I'm sure it will, I would head to a detailer and have them look at it before having someone from the dealership create new problems for you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.