Alternator/Blower motor - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
SlipAndFall
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 165250
What I Drive: 2007 SE 2.0L

FF Reputation: 1 SlipAndFall Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Alternator/Blower motor

Im dealing with a 2007 Ford Focus 2.0L SE. My wife came home last night complaining that her headlights were dimming and that she felt a loss of power on the highway (only once). Shortly after I took the car for a dive to verify the complaint, I was able to see that the headlights did dim however I could not replicate the loss of power.

My first thought was this is a charging system issue. I tested the battery for voltage with a voltmeter and got the following result 12.68 Volts (normal) (pic below)

I started the engine without any electrical load and held the RPMs around 1500 with a result of 14.26 Volts

Then I turned everything on (A/C, lights, brights, fan, rear and front wipers, ect...) The Voltage dropped very steadily to below the original battery voltage. (Pic at 12.9 Volts it dropped down to 12.4 before i shut it off)

Okay.... So I replaced the alternator and battery last summer so I was very skeptical that it was out again.

Also about five months ago Her blower motor went out. I bought a new one from auto zone that didn't fit as it was the wrong electrical port config. I figured at that point oh well i'll just pay a little extra and buy one from the dealership. I put the old one back in and it work all the sudden. I didn't question it and just put everything back together and figured i would replace once it really failed.

So b/c of this I unplugged the blower motor and then turned all the electrical systems back on including the a/c and fan speed. I got a normal volt reading 14.9 Volts.

I don't have the greatest understanding of the electrical/charging system. Am I doing something wrong here? What am I suppose to make of this? The blower motor is drawling to much voltage yes? Do I just need a new alternator again? Thanks in advance for anything guys! (sorry the pics are so big =/)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
FocusKnot
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117505
What I Drive: 2004 Red SE Wagon 2.0 Zetec Auto

Points 875, Level 15
Points: 875, Level: 15 Points: 875, Level: 15 Points: 875, Level: 15
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 3 FocusKnot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Run the car over to Autozone and have them do a charging system test. It seems that you have a diode out in the alternator.

Bookmarks & Social Networks