Coolant Leak On Ground - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
Rebel Racing
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85113
What I Drive: 2004 silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Rebel Racing Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Coolant Leak On Ground

Hi Guys,

I have a coolant leak that is getting worse. 2005 car with the 1.6 auto. During the summer months it doesn't seem to leak anything on the ground but once the cool weather comes and she uses the heat there will be a small spot (the size of a quarter) on the ground every day. I need to top up the exp. tank every few days and if I let it go a week, the tank will be dry and naturally, little heat from the heater. Last year I spent quite some time under it and for the life of me could not see any signs of the leak. Before I look later today, does anyone have a an idea of a common area where they usually leak from?? I'm thinking either the thermo housing or a hose. It is leaking on the ground so I am eliminating a HG issue (no signs of water in the oil or white smoke). FWIW, the car has a tick over 100K miles on it.

Thanks!!

Rebel Racing http://www.rebelracing.8k.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,115, Level 97
Points: 27,115, Level: 97 Points: 27,115, Level: 97 Points: 27,115, Level: 97
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
We've got to figure out what this car is. The 1.6L engine was not offered in the NA market, are you overseas?

The 2005 Ford Focus has a thermostat housing, the thermostat is built into it, and it is located at the front of the engine block where the lower radiator hose meets the engine. Earlier Zetecs have a typical thermostat housing location at the rear of the engine where the upper radiator hose meets the engine. The 2005 Focus thermostat and housing costs about $100, so you don't want to change it unless you're sure what you're changing needs repair.

Where is the dime shaped drip under the car? Front side of the engine? Passenger side? Driver's side? Back of the engine compartment?

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Rebel Racing
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
We've got to figure out what this car is. The 1.6L engine was not offered in the NA market, are you overseas?
I had 1.6 on the brain....car has the Zetec motor. Just looked on the driveway and the puddle is the size of a silver dollar now and it is at the front of the motor. Fairly centered but perhaps slightly towards the pass. side.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Points 27,115, Level 97
Level Up 77% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
So it is not a 2005 YM? As of 2005, the Duratec is the engine, not the Zetec. The last year for the Zetec was 2004 MY.

The thermostat housing on the Zetec is on the driver's side, but there's no telling where things might drip down. I'm going to assume you know how to trace down coolant leaks, and you've looked all over. One time I had this problem, and it turned out to be the reservoir cap. It can either be loose, or not sealing properly, and that causes the overflow to leak while you're driving. For some reason, it didn't leak when I wasn't driving, although logically it should spew right after the car comes to a stop from latent heat.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Rebel Racing
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
So it is not a 2005 YM? As of 2005, the Duratec is the engine, not the Zetec. The last year for the Zetec was 2004 MY.

The thermostat housing on the Zetec is on the driver's side, but there's no telling where things might drip down. I'm going to assume you know how to trace down coolant leaks, and you've looked all over. One time I had this problem, and it turned out to be the reservoir cap. It can either be loose, or not sealing properly, and that causes the overflow to leak while you're driving. For some reason, it didn't leak when I wasn't driving, although logically it should spew right after the car comes to a stop from latent heat.
I really should learn how to type numbers correctly--it is a 2004 model. Itis very dry around the res. cap.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Points 27,115, Level 97
Level Up 77% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Hmm, well that would be the one with thermostat housing problems. The thermostat housing is where you'd expect it- back of the motor where the upper radiator hose meets the cylinder head. You might want to tightly shove some paper shop towels around in that area to see if you can pick up any leaking coolant that might be somehow making it's way over to the front of the engine.

The only thing that is up there on the front of the engine is..... shudder... the water pump. Those leak like other water pumps do- from the snout while the engine is running. You may or may not hear noises when the pump is going out because most of these pumps have plastic impellers. You should notice residue on the snout, and you might notice coolant seeping from it if you use a flashlight after driving the car around to warm it up, and then stop to check.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
Rebel Racing
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Hmm, well that would be the one with thermostat housing problems. The thermostat housing is where you'd expect it- back of the motor where the upper radiator hose meets the cylinder head. You might want to tightly shove some paper shop towels around in that area to see if you can pick up any leaking coolant that might be somehow making it's way over to the front of the engine.

The only thing that is up there on the front of the engine is..... shudder... the water pump. Those leak like other water pumps do- from the snout while the engine is running. You may or may not hear noises when the pump is going out because most of these pumps have plastic impellers. You should notice residue on the snout, and you might notice coolant seeping from it if you use a flashlight after driving the car around to warm it up, and then stop to check.
O.K. that gives ma starting point. The Wife will have it back later this afternoon and I'llget under there and see if I can isolate the source. I'll write back--Thanks!!

Old 01-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Points 27,115, Level 97
Level Up 77% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Best of luck.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
Rebel Racing
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

[GVIDEO][/GVIDEO]
Quote:
Best of luck.
O.K. found the genreal area. From the pics you can see that it is wet on the small hose going into a plastic looking fitting. It runs down the bell housing and then to the ground. I'd like to thin that it is just that small hose weeping but am doubting it. Suggestions??

Old 01-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
xxMichaelAnthony
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58459
What I Drive: 2001 CD Silver ZX3

Points 15,442, Level 80
Points: 15,442, Level: 80 Points: 15,442, Level: 80 Points: 15,442, Level: 80
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 20 xxMichaelAnthony Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
That would be the thermostat housing. Common problem fairly easy to replace. Dorman part #902-201.

Bookmarks & Social Networks