17s or 18s - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-10-2004, 09:44 AM   #1
cheeno
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13233
What I Drive: '05 Silver ZX3 (5 speed)

FF Reputation: 1 cheeno Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
17s or 18s

I have an '05 CD (what the hell does CD stand for anyways?) silver ZX3 and i want to get rid of those stock 15s, in the near future im gonna drop it 1.5", now im wondering what would be the right size rims to get, i want them to look nice and clean with no gap after the drop but at the same time not to be heavy and handle like [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]**, any help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2004, 10:02 AM   #2
beat3rfocus
I hate you!!!!!

Fan#: 3178
What I Drive: Red 1990 Miata Hardtop

FF Reputation: 11 beat3rfocus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Go with 17's you will have less chance of rubbing. IMO i think that 18's are just too big for our car.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:20 AM   #3
EuroZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39
What I Drive: 05 Black Scion TC

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
if u only go down 1.5 on 17s u will still have a gap. im down 1.5 on 18s and there is still some gap.

i never regret getting 18s. a lot of people will bag on them because they are heavier, and then go and get lightweight racing rims but then still have a system sitting in the back to me there was only 2 options, super super lightweight 15s w/coil overs or a moderate drop with 18s. ive never been much of an in between guy. since light weight rims and coil overs are so expensive, i went with good looks and a comfy ride.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:31 PM   #4
zslaton
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11347
What I Drive: 2002 Yellow Power Premium ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 zslaton Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
18's are way too big on the Focus. Plus, every tire size that you go up lessens the force put to the road to launch you, as torque is measured in ft-lbs and if you increase the width of the tire you will lessen the force the tire applies to the road. 17" is just fine.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:42 PM   #5
EuroZX3
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by zslaton
18's are way too big on the Focus. Plus, every tire size that you go up lessens the force put to the road to launch you, as torque is measured in ft-lbs and if you increase the width of the tire you will lessen the force the tire applies to the road. 17" is just fine.
well gee i guess its good he doesnt live on a race track. im sure he doesnt launch at every stop light. 18" doesnt have to be wider than a 17" tire either. 18"s arent way too big on a focus, which is why many drivers have them. honestly, i think people that put 17s on their daily driver for performance reasons are kind of rice minded, especially when 80% of them never race. if you really are a racer than you would probably have a set of slicks or another pair of rims with dr's. other reasons i can understand more, like living around pot holes, not wanting as rough of a ride, or wanting a lower drop. but saying that your launch will be worse or that they are heavy when you a have a system and a body kit just bothers me.

/rant
Old 11-10-2004, 05:57 PM   #6
cheeno
Focus Enthusiast

i dont think there will be much of a gap after 1.5 and 17", it wont be sitting on the wheel either, i just want it to look good. the SVTF is dropped only 1/2" and i saw that if it was dropped another inch it would be perfect, so i think i'm going with some 17s and a 1.5" drop and call it a day
Old 11-10-2004, 06:21 PM   #7
EuroZX3
Focus Fanatic

not a bad choice. heres a pic of me so u can get an idea. i only have a 35 series tire on there too, so if you go with a 17 you can get some more rubber. i wanted a little taller tire but i wanted to play it safe without the rub. i have less gap with my 205 55 16 snow tires on :P

Old 11-10-2004, 06:31 PM   #8
5speedZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7144
What I Drive: 2004 Black ZX3, 1986 Mini

FF Reputation: 1 5speedZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I have 18's I love them to death. Its a bit harrser of a ride but just have to watch for potholes. I'm running 215/35/18 rubber and have no rub issues with my 2inch drop.

But it all comes down to what you want. 17's will have a less harsh ride as far as if you catch a pothole or road hazzards. But 18's look alot better, they really fill out the gap and there is less "slop" when hard cornering because there is less sidewall to give into.

heres mine. Velox VX-8's

"It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."
Old 11-10-2004, 07:17 PM   #9
zslaton
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11347
What I Drive: 2002 Yellow Power Premium ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 zslaton Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i would add the pothole comment like everyone else. I live in Michigan, the world's worst roads, and 18's wouldn't last one winter up here.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:35 PM   #10
cheeno
Focus Enthusiast

after looking at 5speed's 18s which btw are beautiful, im seriously considering the 18s now, to also compensate for the gap

Bookmarks & Social Networks