Non Starting 2001 ZX3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-27-2013, 03:41 AM   #1
Hsfguy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110491
What I Drive: 2001 Liquid Grey ZX3 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 Hsfguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Non Starting 2001 ZX3

I recently purchased a 2001 ZX3 with Premium package, it ran fine for a week, had 2 new "chip" keys made, put in a new stereo bought and installed a new battery... now, it won't start, it happened to the wife once, and after a few minutes, it started, then it happened while i was with her, had to disconnect the Battery for about 15 minutes, then it started again, got home, and it will no longer attempt.. notices that the fuel cap light was on initially, that goes out and the low oil pressure light and door light stay on, dimly, the alarm system light blinks, then blinks faster as i turn the key, then goes out completely.And there is no power, even to the interior lights.. Am wondering where the alarm system reset is, and if it might actually be a Computer issue, any help would be appreciated. Checked and swapped out the relays under the hood also, to see if that would do anything for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 03:50 AM   #2
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

Points 2,412, Level 29
Points: 2,412, Level: 29 Points: 2,412, Level: 29 Points: 2,412, Level: 29
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
What prompted you to get the new battery?

I am leaning towards a bad battery cable, or other major power distribution issue.

Have you checked to make sure the new battery hasn't been drained down?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
Hsfguy
Focus Rookie

Got the new battery due to the old one being of indeterminate age, and cranking the car slowly. will have all power until the key is turned, but the fuel cap light is on, then when turned to the start position, all power goes. Then all i have showing is the Low oil light and Door open light, regardless of key position.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
PDQEagle
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9356
What I Drive: 03 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 11 PDQEagle Great Standing Member
Too many symptoms to make it easy
For starters, remove the fuel cap and put some vasoline on the gasket. The light is telling you there is a leak
Doesn't start----does it crank?
Old 02-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
Hsfguy
Focus Rookie

All electrical power goes.., the fuel cap light is part of the symptom, tho the vaseline is a good suggestion if that problem starts to manifest. Still cannot find the "alarm system bypass button" supposedly located around the steering column area, underneath the dash.

Bookmarks & Social Networks