brake proportioning valve - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
bamakodaker
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 30132
What I Drive: 2005 Tweety Bird Yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 bamakodaker Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
brake proportioning valve

I specifically want to know if the 2005 Ford Focus 2.0 has a brake proportioning valve. The answer may differ for each year, model, engine type, etc.

I'm chasing problem of one side front brakes dragging.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

bamakodaker

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
racerx450
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 125153
What I Drive: 2001 5sp SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 racerx450 Good Standing Member
From what I can tell, the Focus uses a split-X brake system. The MC actuates 2 circuits - Front Left, Right Rear, and Front Right, Left Rear. There is a PCRV in the legs serving the rear brakes. See http://www.underhoodservice.com/Arti...ord_focus.aspx Since this valve serves to modulate pressure to the rears, it probably isn't the cause of your dragging front.

It would seem to me that the problem is probably at the caliper. Have you checked for seized sliders?

Good luck.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
bamakodaker
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 30132
What I Drive: 2005 Tweety Bird Yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 bamakodaker Good Standing Member
The PCRV is to prevent the back from locking up - - but since it is a split-X system - could the back drivers side be causing more pressure to go to the front of does it really do nothing but regulate pressure at the back?
No, I have not checked the caliper. Going to change it out Monday though.

bamakodaker
Old 12-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
racerx450
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 125153
What I Drive: 2001 5sp SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 racerx450 Good Standing Member
You said that your problem was with a dragging front caliper, which I interpreted as a caliper that is acting as a brake when you don't want it to. IOW, a caliper that isn't releasing. If that is what you meant, something is holding the brakes on in that corner. It could be mechanical -like stuck sliders or maybe a piston that isn't retracting - or it could be hydraulic. For it to be hydraulic, the PCRV or some other cause would be preventing the release of pressure from the dragging corner. I have seen brake MCs with blocked relief/return ports cause brakes to not release/drag, but w/ the split-X system that problem would cause dragging at diagonal corners. I don't see how the PCRV could affect the release on one corner.

My 2 cents is on a problem at the caliper. Good luck.

Bookmarks & Social Networks