Magnets in/on oil pan - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Magnets in/on oil pan

So board at work and was thinking of something. A previous job I worked a lot with rare magnets and thought why not put something like this on or in the oil pan.

I know they make filter magnets that wrap around the filter and also magnetic drain plugs. Is all this just a bunch of snake oil? Any thing big enough would be filtered out in the oil pick up screen that could damage the motor and then any thing else would be filtered by the filter?

The magnets make sense, but do they work worth their cost?

I was thinking of doing some custom work...

I was going to drill out and epoxy in a long magnet in the drain plug to install a magnate like: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetai...IA-N52&cat=168

Then I was thinking of getting something like this:
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetai...8B-N52&cat=168

to put on the out side of the pan, bottom middle. This would be on, and then at oil changes I would remove so the participial would be removed during the oil change.

Worth doing any of this kind of thing. Seems like there are mixed thoughts on this. but overall it sounds like it wont hurt any thing.... but also may not be worth the money.

Thanks.

Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)

Last edited by Magus2727; 01-08-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The only magnets in a motor that help prevent problems, are ones some racers add to the top end oil drainback to grab onto large pieces of broken valvetrain before they fall down into the rotating assembly.

The magnet on the drain plug is more of a warning indicator than a preventative measure.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
mikeeshaq
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72526
What I Drive: 2010 Transit Connect

FF Reputation: 15 mikeeshaq Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Back in 1977 I made my own magnetic drain plug for my Honda Accord
Got a cylindrical magnet, measured the OD and used a numbered drill just slightly smaller than the magnet and then pressed the magnet in.
After that, where I use working , they had an industrial magnetizer, which I inserted the whole drain plug and zapped it a couple of times and I did this to two drain plugs

Whenever I had an oil change I gave them a clean drain plug and they gave me the dirty one. Each time there was small quantity of powdered iron/steel on the magnet.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 19 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If using the stock smaller steel flat bottomed pan, then using a very thin magnet like the factory one used in older Tempo ATX pan after like 91-92 would work perfect I bet. Very thin and sticks like glue even with the differential thrashing the holy crap out of the oil above it. It would never move if properly placed in a zetec pan..........
Old 01-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
Fattie
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46016
What I Drive: 6 Duratec Focus

FF Reputation: 5 Fattie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
friggen MAGNATES , how do they work ?

3 04 zx4's
2 05 zx3's
1 03 zx3
Old 01-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

The disc magnet I have specified has a pull force of 54.5 lbs when on a steel plate. I think that an act of God would be required to rip that from an oil pan regardless of where I mount it.

The thought was to keep the magnet on the out side so I cull pull it from the pan when doing oil changes to remove the "captured" metal bits. These are Neodymium magnets at the highest strength possible so are not your refrigerator magnets...

if I have them on the inside I could only clean it when I pull the oil pan. and being that its not a easy 5 min task on our motors to do that the magnets would likely never get cleaned.

I am using the stock oil pan.

Edit: thank you for pointing out my spelling error. should have title and all posts updated.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 01-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
Fattie
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
The disc magnet I have specified has a pull force of 54.5 lbs when on a steel plate. I think that an act of God would be required to rip that from an oil pan regardless of where I mount it.

The thought was to keep the magnet on the out side so I cull pull it from the pan when doing oil changes to remove the "captured" metal bits. These are Neodymium magnets at the highest strength possible so are not your refrigerator magnets...

if I have them on the inside I could only clean it when I pull the oil pan. and being that its not a easy 5 min task on our motors to do that the magnets would likely never get cleaned.

I am using the stock oil pan.

Edit: thank you for pointing out my spelling error. should have title and all posts updated.
just bustin yer bALLS

3 04 zx4's
2 05 zx3's
1 03 zx3
Old 01-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Well it drives me crazy when people spell stuff wrong. yes its the internet yes it a forum, but their is no reason why you cant take 1-2 extra minuets to form complete words ans sentences.

Well I think I will try some of this and get a few of these. My guess is that the distance from the oil pan to the crank shaft is enough that regardless of the strength and number of magnets used it wont through off the balance of the crank shaft due to the magnetic fields possible?
Hatch Nation #42

Old 01-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
You could probably buy a magnetic drain plug? Personally, I wouldn't waste my time. If you really want to know the condition of your engine you could get an oil analysis.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
Fattie
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
Well it drives me crazy when people spell stuff wrong. yes its the internet yes it a forum, but their is no reason why you cant take 1-2 extra minuets to form complete words ans sentences.

Well I think I will try some of this and get a few of these. My guess is that the distance from the oil pan to the crank shaft is enough that regardless of the strength and number of magnets used it wont through off the balance of the crank shaft due to the magnetic fields possible?
minuets

3 04 zx4's
2 05 zx3's
1 03 zx3

Bookmarks & Social Networks