Another One Bites The Dust - Page 10 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #91
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhigh View Post
WOW .... I guess that must be canadian because it sure as hell doesn't make any sense in English

REV
Being that he is from Quebec I'm going to go out on a limb and say that his first language is French and his second is English. At least he's providing useful input the majority of the time.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #92
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
Being that he is from Quebec I'm going to go out on a limb and say that his first language is French and his second is English. At least he's providing useful input the majority of the time.
Maybe ... if you could understand what he is saying.

REV
Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #93
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,925, Level 33
Points: 2,925, Level: 33 Points: 2,925, Level: 33 Points: 2,925, Level: 33
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
+1 to this. One user announces to be another one to take a dump and almost instantly a lot of folks feel very presed in congratulating him. It is really funny !

P.S. And if Ford did better in solving the problematic cars in US, this forum would be only for "flower and power".
In Canada, talking from my own experience, Ford dealers seem to be more professional and less inclined into selling the phrase "it is normal behavior". Maybe I am mistaken, but I doubt being too much off.
Yes, I've noticed there are no unhappy Canadian Focus owners...

Dealers are dealers. Ford has the same incentives/disincentives to providing good service in the US as in Canada. And it shows.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #94
kb911
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91864
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SE Hatch 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 kb911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
A former colleague of mine worked for the company that supplied the modules for those seat heaters and they were the cause of some of those fires. They found out about the flaw in the design through their own investigation and notified Chrysler of it. It d cost Chrysler an additional $1.50 per module to eliminate the potential problem.
Chrysler's response: No thanks given the 1 in 50,000 failure rate, we'll take our chances. True story.
yea I had a friend say something similar I couldn't believe it when they said it was my fault in some way it took me a better half of a yearwith fighting with Chrysler for them to replace the seat as it was charred my model was not included in the original recall regarding the laredo and overland because th limited was wrongfully marked with the wrong part number when you had the luxury package checked off with the attached leather
Old 01-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #95
powermax
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105453
What I Drive: Ex 2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 2 powermax Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Yes, I've noticed there are no unhappy Canadian Focus owners...

Dealers are dealers. Ford has the same incentives/disincentives to providing good service in the US as in Canada. And it shows.
I was a very unhappy Canadian owner and there are quite a few others, I got lucky my dealer bought my car back. This my thread:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304642
Old 01-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #96
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb911 View Post
I was not blaming a majority of users but honestly sit in a dealership service area for a while and listen to the people complaining in my experience of the rhode island area as I bought my car at one dealer and now have it serviced at another the complaints were a little mind boggling. The DCT is Fords first forray into double clutch and is a good one. is quality going to be that tried and tested engineering...no, never will be. it was a shame of the issues and complete ignorance to build quality (i guess you can say that for a majority of the Focus) have handicapped it as such. One credit to Ford is that they have stepped up and admitted to the problems and that cannot be said with other companies in recent history.

The whole point of my post was to be tongue and cheek. I have had past experiences with double clutch transmission including my partner's DCT titanium (which has yet to have a problem) and is still a technology that needs improvement just like everything else in a modern car in an age where we are pushing for absolute quality/power/fuel mileage/price/safety etc.... I get the whole idea of having an automated manual instead of a regular automatic for the fuel benefits of not using a torque converter but as for acting with the smoothness of an auto it's not going to happen no way you put it especially in a dry clutch set up... even VW with a wet based clutch can't emulate it.

in a perfect world yes people should understand differences in the powertrain and features that they are buying but this is not the case and nor will they understand. Ford should have offered a standard auto on the models with an option for DCT on the more performance oriented models but then cost would have been a factor.

And to end on a more humerus situation:

as for fire related and cant duplicate problem my jeep's heated seat caught fire one brisk afternoon after turning it on and I was given a "you must have messed with the wiring as we could not duplicate this problem" that was a slap in the face moment
Actually the Focus line has been using dual-clutch transmissions for a few years now. The difference is this is the first *DRY* clutch variant they've ever made. Dry clutches have less leeway and can't handle stresses as well as a wet clutch. This is where the problem lies...they decided to try a dry-clutch because it can eek out another 1-2mpg over the wet variant.

The problem is they didn't realize you need an entirely different type of engineering and programming strategy when using dry clutch transmissions. They can't handle the variances that wet clutch would have no trouble with...things have to be more exact.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #97
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,449, Level 52
Points: 6,449, Level: 52 Points: 6,449, Level: 52 Points: 6,449, Level: 52
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
...they decided to try a dry-clutch because it can eek out another 1-2mpg over the wet variant.
Doubt it. It's probably another 0.5mpg increase max similar to the grill shutters. I'd happily take a 0.5mpg hit in order to get a smooth-operating and proven wet DCT.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #98
2012Tuxedo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95249
What I Drive: 2012 Black sedan

FF Reputation: 1 2012Tuxedo Good Standing Member
My 2012 has never been back to the dealership for repair. Built in March 2011 she was one of the first, I have 50,500 miles on the car and it still drives like it did when I brought it home. Black Betty has been through hellish roads, many states, vacations, trips, and back and forth to work many many times. Never an issue. Granted i have the S with a manual, and its dirt simple, but its reliable. I love the car, I have a lot of faith in my car that she will continue to get me from A to B without issues for a long time to come.

1968 Ford Mustang coupe -Project
Old 01-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #99
kb911
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91864
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SE Hatch 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 kb911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
Actually the Focus line has been using dual-clutch transmissions for a few years now. The difference is this is the first *DRY* clutch variant they've ever made. Dry clutches have less leeway and can't handle stresses as well as a wet clutch. This is where the problem lies...they decided to try a dry-clutch because it can eek out another 1-2mpg over the wet variant.

The problem is they didn't realize you need an entirely different type of engineering and programming strategy when using dry clutch transmissions. They can't handle the variances that wet clutch would have no trouble with...things have to be more exact.
I give them a lot of credit for going with the dry and hopefully as they manufacture more and work to get that sweetspot on software calibration it will lead to a better notoriety. I haven't looked into it much since I've stopped trying to nag my partner for his routine maintenance but is there any major servicing for the DCT? I was thinking the greatest benefit would be cheaper cost versus wet as his previous car was a Jetta with the DSG and I was shocked at the price of servicing every 40,000 miles with the fluid around 225.00 plus other recommendations that always seemed to stretch the bill to 600.00!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #100
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,883, Level 66
Points: 9,883, Level: 66 Points: 9,883, Level: 66 Points: 9,883, Level: 66
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 34%
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb911 View Post
I give them a lot of credit for going with the dry and hopefully as they manufacture more and work to get that sweetspot on software calibration it will lead to a better notoriety. I haven't looked into it much since I've stopped trying to nag my partner for his routine maintenance but is there any major servicing for the DCT? I was thinking the greatest benefit would be cheaper cost versus wet as his previous car was a Jetta with the DSG and I was shocked at the price of servicing every 40,000 miles with the fluid around 225.00 plus other recommendations that always seemed to stretch the bill to 600.00!
There is no scheduled maintenance for at least 10 years/ 150k miles. Although given that its basically a manual transmission a small fluid change might not hurt around 50k or so (it only uses 1.9 qts of fluid) inside the transmission case.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.