Overall Satisfaction w/Focus DCT - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Overall Satisfaction w/Focus DCT
Extremely Satisfied 42 49.41%
Satisfied 26 30.59%
Not Satisfied 7 8.24%
Extremely Disappointed 10 11.76%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
WizeGuyDezignz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99369
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 WizeGuyDezignz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Overall Satisfaction w/Focus DCT

A fellow member here VOLDAR brought up a good point. Let's do a poll on the overall feeling about the DCT. We have some vocal people on this board that absolutely hate it. To the point that they took a loss and dumped their Focus.

I'm sure there is a mixed crowd about this topic, but let's find out! For reference, I have had a 2012 Focus for about 8 months now with DCT, and I've had zero problems.....so far. I am very low on mileage at 7,700. So I will have to wait and see.

So have at it and make your choice! Discussion is welcome, but let's please try to keep it semi-civil lol.

All thanks go to VOLDAR for the idea!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
I had to go with satisfied. There have been times when I have been not satisfied, like after all of the three updates I have had the dealer do and it was relearning everything. I think they could include some base parameters that could be a whole lot better than this thing starting off completely clueless as to how to and when to shift until you drive it a few hundred miles. PITA. Now, after 17,000 miles, I am mostly satisfied and occasionally more than satisfied, but extremely satisfied seemed over the top for how I feel. I don't think the DCT is any kinda deal breaker, and I am waiting for Ford to adapt it to the ST. Then I will consider upgrading to the ST, as I am over shifting gears in my DD.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
the_dog
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97263
What I Drive: Subaru Impreza

FF Reputation: 1 the_dog Good Standing Member
It would be interesting to also include the model year of Focus, since it seems at least that those with '13 Foci aren't having as many problems.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Need option: It was OK before Ford 'fixed' it. I'll just mark 'extremely disappointed', I guess. Last summer I would have picked 'extremely satisfied'. What a difference a dealership visit or 6 can make.

I've had the clutch/oil seal TSB done and it's tolerable for now, but it's certainly nothing like what I purchased.

The car I purchased didn't have gaps in power delivery between gears and it didn't roll back 2 seconds after being parked. While it was way too eager to upshift, at least it worked like a DCT is supposed to, with a nice seamless and barely perceptible transition between gears. It sure as hell isn't like that now, and I doubt that it ever will be again, considering the brand new ones I've driven have these same flaws.

I don't think the DCT hardware is too bad, even though I've already dealt with a shoddy seal, but the software is absolutely atrocious. And like a lot of software, it seems to be getting worse with every update.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dog View Post
It would be interesting to also include the model year of Focus, since it seems at least that those with '13 Foci aren't having as many problems.
I don't know about that, it appears by most accounts that both the '12s and '13s have the same hardware and software (provided the '12s have been updated properly). It's probably just that the '13s haven't been out as long; sometimes the DCT quirks take time to manifest.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
I voted extremely satisfied, because it is the reality. I don't even try to compare the DCT with any slushboxes I drove (not owned though). I come from a life driving MT so my impressions may be biassed, because the DCT is acting more like a MT and not an slashbox AT. I am for sure not "conditionned" to "slushbox driving experience" and I love it. Yes, I know it can be the "mother of all the frustrations" when it is not programmed properly (because of poor technical expertise of the people working in some Ford dealerships, mostly). My advice to those who experience these problems would be : change the F... dealer ! Get a second opinion ! Do something to solve your problems. The time you spend here complaining day long about the DCT is time lost for you getting the DCT fixed. Because IT CAN BE FIXED ! I had problems with my DCT after an update, but I chose to focus on finding a solution to my problem, not on bashing on the forum against DCT. And the problem was solved - the dealer from whom I bought the car was changed for a better one too ! So, yes, I enjoy driving my FF and WizeGuyDezignz, I thank you for mentionning my name, but you did the poll. So, kudos to you !
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
My advice to those who experience these problems would be : change the F... dealer !
Yes, that is the correct course of action. Do not contact customer service because they will just refer you to a defender of the dealership that caused your problems. Just drive to another dealer and pretend like you never visited the first one.

That's what I should have done several months ago.

Oh well... live and learn.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
Woggy64
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104328
What I Drive: '12 Ti 5dr with sport pkg & sunroof

FF Reputation: 2 Woggy64 Good Standing Member
I selected Satisfied - although Very Satisfied would have been my pick. Extremely Satisfied was too far of a reach for me :)

It's a DCT, it is not an automatic transmission. Maybe we should just call it what it is - a computer controlled manual?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86391
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium 5-Dr

FF Reputation: 2 Joey D Good Standing Member
I hated it before the dealership fixed it. Now it's fine. I wouldn't say it's the best transmission I've ever experienced but it moves the car in the direction I intend it too, so I can't complain.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
jswisc
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100891
What I Drive: 2012 grey focus sel

FF Reputation: 1 jswisc Good Standing Member
Duct

12' SEL. Purchased at 12k as a Ford exec unit. 22k now and I like the trans. Not always as smooth as an auto but that's because it's not one. I like the mileage that results. SATISFIED!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->