can i put new aftermarket fans on the FRONT of the radiator? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
can i put new aftermarket fans on the FRONT of the radiator?

well im sitting here in sick as a dog in a medically induced stupor just tumbling ideas around and im thinking about replacing my radiator fans. they still work but one of them has been melted/mashed by the header a few times and its a miracle that it still works anyway. it would be nice to go ahead and replace them. now what im thinking is this:

what if i bought some aftermarket "slim fans" and mounted them to the FRONT of the radiator? i dont see any reason why that wouldnt work except that there may not be quite enough space right away. i can MAKE space though. that is the whole point behind my cockeyed idea anyway. ive learned in the past that it opens up alot of room on the front of the engine bay to pull the radiator fans out and that would make space to do some wild stuff with turbo manifold, turbo, downpipe, and just exhaust in general. hell i might have room to fit a cutout in there and just run a dump pipe out the front bumper if i do that.

the only thing that i am worried about is that mounting the radiator fan(s) that way would not circulate cooler air the same and it wouldnt be able to cool the radiator down as well. has anyone else done this before?

i was thinking of using 1 or 2 universal fans like one of these. and it would probably look badass too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-Red-12V-T...32ae3d&vxp=mtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
pusher fans don't work as well as pullers

If you do it, run the power through relay(s)
There are plenty of stand alone electric fan control modules out there so you can just have controlled w/o interfacing with the car's brains, just need the power feed and ign-on wires.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
One thing for sure, the stock fans are big and bulky but you will have hel- finding slimline replacements that will offer the long life the stockers do. Slimlines in my view always burn out MUCH quicker.

Pullers do work better but not much, there is nothing to stop you putting them in front, the motors will actually run cooler that way.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

why couldnt i just splice into the stock radiator fan wiring harness? what voltage are the stock fans? or heck i could nab the connectors from another focus in a junk yard and wire the connector end in and not even have to hack the stock wiring harness.

from a longevity stand point i dont think it would hurt my feelings that bad. they are only about $30-$40 versus $250 for the stock fans.

and why do pullers work better than pushers anyway? im not arguing the fact or anything. there is probably a reason that pretty much every factory radiator fan since the beginning of time has been a pull type but im just curious as to why?
Quote:
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
It would be an interesting fluid dynamics experiment. You have to look at the static pressure and air flow volume at that pressure.

I have a liquid cooled computer system and the operation behind how I have a "push pull" configuration is that I have one fan in front and one behind. This is to reduce the static pressure seen and thus increasing the air flow.

Having the fan behind the radiator in a pull you reduce the static pressure as your vehicle speed increases. As your vehicle speed increases your pulling fan will be able to rotate at a faster speed (due to a lower static pressure on the other side of the radiator) pulling more air.

It will be unique to see the real world situation in a push configuration being in front of the radiator. As your vehicle speed changes what may just occur is that the fan will pull less current but have approximately the same air flow. Your not changing the air pressure on the other side of the fan, however you are forcing the air through the fan then the radiator. perhaps you could over spin the fans blades to rotate faster then its rated for.

Also having the fan a few inches behind the radiator with a shroud will allow for the "whole" radiator to be used even though your square area of fan opening is smaller than the square area of the radiator. having them in front with a shroud (to ensure that the fans actually force the air through the radiator) you are reducing the square inch area that will benefit from the forced air at driving speeds.

The assumption on why the slim compact fans don't last as long (lower mean time between failure, MTBF) is due to the heat in the motor. the DC motors on the stock fans are large so are able to dissipate heat better or generate less. usually heat is what kills electronics. So with the slim high CFM fan replacements will run a smaller DC motor that will run hotter and be harder to dissipate its generated heat. so a stock fan will have a higher MTBF vs "performance" slim fans.

final follow up edit, fan blades are also usually designed specifically to perform best in a specific configuration. If they are designed to work in a pull then their performance will be less if attempted to be used in a push. fan blades are designed to obtain the most air flow given the high pressure on one side or the other, not both.

I think the slim fans vs regular fans given same CFM vs the two. the thin fans will pull approx about 30% more current.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 01-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusmaniaczx3 View Post

and why do pullers work better than pushers anyway? im not arguing the fact or anything. there is probably a reason that pretty much every factory radiator fan since the beginning of time has been a pull type but im just curious as to why?
I don't really know, fluid dynamics is not my specialty.
I am just repeating what the fan manufacturers say in their catalogs.

If you mount a slimline fan directly to the radiator, as most do, the CFM rating drops off a cliff.(pusher or puller)

Having the fan back 2" with a shroud is so much better.
Hot rodders try to use junkyard factory fan setups whenever possible, they flow so much more air.

Why not just source a junkyard Focus fan?
There is no shortage of Foci being parted out.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #7
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
More like gas dynamics LOL...............
Old 01-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #8
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

because i would like to have a push setup to completely remove the fan from that side of the radiator to open up more space in the engine bay for whacky turbocharged goodness!

i may scrap the idea, i dunno yet. i think what im going to end up doing datalogging from a cold start with the stock fans and monitor how well the car is being cooled with stock fans and then do the same with the slim fans. all tests with the car sitting at idle. if the car is at speed then air is going to be passing through the radiator regardless and will be cooling just fine. the only thing that im concerned about is the ability of the fans to cool the car in traffic. if they dont work worth a crap pushing then they are reversible and i can disassemble them and reassemble them in a pull configuration. i will then datalog the slim fans as pullers since that will still open up SOME space and if that is still unacceptable then i can always just put the factory fans back in i guess...
Quote:
Old 01-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #9
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
and actually its still classified as fluid dynamics
Quote:
Old 01-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #10
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post

Gases are under the blanket of fluid dynamics, it encompasses aerodynamics as well as hydrodynamics.

Bookmarks & Social Networks