2006 Focus ZX3 chiming after startup? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
zx3wheeee!
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108294
What I Drive: 2006 Screaming Yellow ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 1 zx3wheeee! Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2006 Focus ZX3 chiming after startup?

Hey all, I'm new here. This is my first post as I just bought my focus a few days ago. I love it!

But I'm having trouble finding out why the car keeps chiming at me. It chimes 4 or 5 times everytime I start the car. Its not a seatbelt, its not the parking brake, its not the headlights. It continues to chime after I've put my seatbelt on, removed the parking break turned the ignition and started driving. It still chimes 4 or 5 times until it stops. There are no lights/signals activated on the instrument panel, no check engine or open door or anything like that. I read the online manual but like I said it is none of the warning chimes mentioned there and it isnt easily visable.

I am aware I may sound incredibely stupid here but thats ok. What is this warning? And how do I get it to stop?

Screwed up the title, its actually a 2006.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
fhh02a
HATCH NATION

Fan#: 57548
What I Drive: 2004, Pitch Black Zx3

Points 16,184, Level 81
Points: 16,184, Level: 81 Points: 16,184, Level: 81 Points: 16,184, Level: 81
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 13 fhh02a Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
you know, I never noticed that... know i will pay attention next time i drive..

btw: welcome to the threads
Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
zx3wheeee!
Focus Rookie

Awh crap I mistyped. Its actually a 2006 and not a 2003 if that means anything. I dont think its anything serious but it is really annoying. My only other thought is could it have anything to do with how much gas it has in it? Its not dangerously low but at about a quarter of a tank. I dont know, I'm stumped.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

Points 2,521, Level 30
Points: 2,521, Level: 30 Points: 2,521, Level: 30 Points: 2,521, Level: 30
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Make sure all the dash warning lights illuminate with the key on but the engine not running.

It could be something like the seatbelt warning, but the bulb is burned out.
(I know you buckle the seatbelt, but the circuit could be open)
Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 PM   #5
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

Points 2,059, Level 27
Points: 2,059, Level: 27 Points: 2,059, Level: 27 Points: 2,059, Level: 27
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 88 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
It's nothing to do with a low fuel condition.
Check the seat belt "socket" the seat belt buckle plugs into. There should be wires coming from it (yellow and brown). Those are the wires to your seat belt buckle sensor.
Sounds like you may have an intermittent or corroded connection and your seat belt buckle isn't make the proper connection to tell the restraints control module that you're belted in. (On my earlier model car, after a few reminders dings, you'll get a second rapid fire warning ding.) If you spill fluids into the buckle holder or the area around it gets wet, it can cause problems.
The only other system that I'm aware of (on earlier cars anyway) that makes a constant ding is when you leave your lights on and open the door or you open the door with the keys in the ignition. That may point to a faulty door switch. Removal of the door switch in the door jamb is easy enough. Look for obviously broken or chafed wires.
You need to isolate what conditions cause the "alarm" - seat belts or door.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
zx3wheeee!
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
Make sure all the dash warning lights illuminate with the key on but the engine not running.

It could be something like the seatbelt warning, but the bulb is burned out.
(I know you buckle the seatbelt, but the circuit could be open)
All the lights illuminate, including the seatbelt warning when I start the car. As soon as I put my seatbelt on the light goes off, but the chiming continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_ZX3 View Post
It's nothing to do with a low fuel condition.
Check the seat belt "socket" the seat belt buckle plugs into. There should be wires coming from it (yellow and brown). Those are the wires to your seat belt buckle sensor. Sounds like you may have an intermittent or corroded connection and your seat belt buckle isn't make the proper connection to tell the restraints control module that you're belted in. (On my earlier model car, after a few reminders dings, you'll get a second rapid fire warning ding.) If you spill fluids into the buckle holder or the area around it gets wet, it can cause problems.
The only other system that I'm aware of (on earlier cars anyway) that makes a constant ding is when you leave your lights on and open the door or you open the door with the keys in the ignition. That may point to a faulty door switch. Removal of the door switch in the door jamb is easy enough. Look for obviously broken or chafed wires.
You need to isolate what conditions cause the "alarm" - seat belts or door.
I'll check that out tomorrow morning. Where are these wires at? Do you have to remove anything to see them? It sounds reasonable that the connection could be corroded although the seatbelt warning light definitely works the way its supposed to. I dont know how early youre talking but my 2006 doesnt make any rapid fire dings.

It's definitely not the lights. The lights are never on right after I start the car, and I never shut the car down with the lights on or anything ilke that. I guess it could be a faulty door switch but theres never a door warning light and the door is never open or opened when it chimes. Come to think of it the open door warning light works because I had the hatch open the other day and the light was on.

I always get in the car, close the door, start it and put my seat belt on. Than I release the parking brake and get on my merry way. The car continues to chime a couple more times and then stops.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #7
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

Points 136,016, Level 100
Points: 136,016, Level: 100 Points: 136,016, Level: 100 Points: 136,016, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 63%
Activity: 63% Activity: 63% Activity: 63%
FF Reputation: 48 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Does it have a clear title? If it's beeping 5 times every so often while driving then that's a SRS or airbag code. It could have been wrecked and fixed and the airbag system could have not been reset or something like that.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
zx3wheeee!
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy View Post
Does it have a clear title? If it's beeping 5 times every so often while driving then that's a SRS or airbag code. It could have been wrecked and fixed and the airbag system could have not been reset or something like that.
Title is clean. Car chimes like 4 or 5 times when started and initially driving. But it does not chime again at any other time in the middle of driving. Definitely not every so often.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:26 AM   #9
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

Points 136,016, Level 100
Points: 136,016, Level: 100 Points: 136,016, Level: 100 Points: 136,016, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 63%
Activity: 63% Activity: 63% Activity: 63%
FF Reputation: 48 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Hhmm, How many times does it repeat the chime and is it 5 chimes every time? The chiming is a generic body control module code, trouble is figuring out which one it is so you can fix it.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 01-10-2013, 12:39 AM   #10
zx3wheeee!
Focus Rookie

I'll take a listen tomorrow to determine the exact number, its something like 4 or 5. And like I said, it starts when I turn the key goes 4 or 5 times and then stops. It never repeats while Im driving.

If it were the airbag would the airbag warning light be on? Is there any way to figure out whether the airbag system is malfunctioning other than taking it to a shop or dealership? I just had it taken today to get the brakes worked on and they checked a bunch of different things, never mentioned anything. I just would rather not have to throw a bunch of money at this problem if I dont have to.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.