Purolator Oil Filter Question - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #21
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So that means all the Jeep guys using FL842's need to change out they motorcraft filters out pretty often, huh? wow.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #22
scada
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107778
What I Drive: 2013, Silver, Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 scada Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
So that means all the Jeep guys using FL842's need to change out they motorcraft filters out pretty often, huh? wow.
I'm not sure what it means not to have a bypass valve. I imagine that cars can take the 842 may have some sort of internal device.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scada View Post
I'm not sure what it means not to have a bypass valve. I imagine that cars can take the 842 may have some sort of internal device.
A bypass valve comes into play when the engine is started when very cold or when the filter becomes clogged because of sludge or being in use too long. Under these conditions, oil flow may stop at the filter, starving the engine of lubrication. The bypass valve opens to allow unfiltered oil to flow to engine parts, as this is tons better than no oil at all.

Some engines have a bypass valve built into the oil filter mount, so could specify a filter that had none. On the other hand, if a car doesn't have a built-in bypass valve, using a filter than didn't have one either would be a really, really bad idea.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #24
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Any oil filter with a 3/4 x 16 thread, outer diameter not larger than 3.1", and an internal bypass valve would work. You could use a filter up to 5" long or so. I haven't measured the distance between the oil filter mount and the bottom cover yet, but with the eye....5" long should fit. Increasing the oil filter size will have positive effects on the engine.

1. More media surface area = less resistance to flow
2. More oil capacity = longer oil change interval
3. More filtering capacity = longer oil change interval

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
If you're positive they are identical in all other respects, including how the bypass valve is calibrated, and the additional filter media doesn't cause an oil pressure drop, go for it.
Assuming the oil pressure sensor is before the oil filter, a pressure drop would be a great thing.

If the oil pressure sensor is after the oil filter, then it would be a problem.

A longer filter with more media surface area would most likely decrease resistance to flow, which in turn would decrease back pressure in the oil system. This is a good side effect.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #25
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
Any oil filter with a 3/4 x 16 thread, outer diameter not larger than 3.1", and an internal bypass valve would work. You could use a filter up to 5" long or so. I haven't measured the distance between the oil filter mount and the bottom cover yet, but with the eye....5" long should fit. Increasing the oil filter size will have positive effects on the engine.

1. More media surface area = less resistance to flow
2. More oil capacity = longer oil change interval
3. More filtering capacity = longer oil change interval

Assuming the oil pressure sensor is before the oil filter, a pressure drop would be a great thing.

If the oil pressure sensor is after the oil filter, then it would be a problem.

A longer filter with more media surface area would most likely decrease resistance to flow, which in turn would decrease back pressure in the oil system. This is a good side effect.
Provided your foci isn't lowered & you don't park over park chaulks & curbs. Lot most people I see, where the front end of their car is way over the curb. Thats why I use a fl842 or a TG16 filter. Shorter then a 400 & tad longer then a 910 & bigger diameter then both of them, & fits great. It'd be great if there was a horizon filter mount instead of a verticle one.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131

Bookmarks & Social Networks