Thoughts on an 3.5 Eco boost with AWD swap from an SHO - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
misdirected focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101499
What I Drive: 2012 silver SEL

Points 403, Level 8
Points: 403, Level: 8 Points: 403, Level: 8 Points: 403, Level: 8
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 misdirected focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation Thoughts on an 3.5 Eco boost with AWD swap from an SHO

I know this might sound really dump and really expensive. I was wondering how big of a shoe horn you would have to use in getting the 3.5 Eco boost motor and drive train from a 2013 Taurus SHO with the AWD and cramming it into a 2012 Focus. It just one of those ideas that you get if you could do it and would it be possible. I know that they already working on performance goodies for it already, but just imagine how sick and fast that would be. I know I'm pretty much talking out my A@# on this, but if it was possible. Would the body be able to support something like that. Just a random thought.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
VillageT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97061
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 VillageT Good Standing Member
I was at an automotive testing conference a few years back and there was a 4.6 Ford DOHC engined ZX3 setting on a stand. I talked to the company salesman and he said he drove it to the show. He also said it was really fun to drive (no duh)!

The point being; Ya you probably could. This engine was pointing North/South. It looked like the rear axle was an IRS unit out of a Lincoln coupe (95ish). Two big issues are going to be the electronics and figuring out how to get the driveshaft through the fuel tank.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
misdirected focus
Focus Enthusiast

Points 403, Level 8
Level Up 6% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I see where you are coming from. On the 05-09 mustang, they have what is called a saddle fuel tank. The fuel tank is mounted in the middle of the car for better weight distribution, and the tank is actually has a molded notch in the middle to clear the drive shaft. Since the fuel tank now days are plastic. Getting one made to be same capacity as the stock fuel tank will be expensive, unless you build one out of aluminum to save some weight. But is some what a little cheaper and might be able to get more fuel capacity in the take to feed the Eco Boost 3.5 and have enough clearance for the drive shaft. Now as for the electronics the 3.5 has the computer in the engine bay mounted on the passenger side fender well. As for the transmission controller I think it's mounted under the center console. But getting the instrument cluster and the sync system to communicate with both will be the big issue and fabricating the rear sub frame to house the rear differential, and relocating the rear springs and shocks to make room for the half shafts will be a little difficult. But if i make a plan of attack and start doing a little more research, i think it might be achievable.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
VillageT
Focus Enthusiast

The Focus has a bolt in rear subframe, that helps alot. The one I was looking at (4.6 installation) looked like a very clean package and probably mostly Lincoln Mark 8 parts including the hubs. I remember an episode (maybe Top Gear) where somebody in California was building V8 Focus' for customers. You might try to find info on them.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Points 3,892, Level 39
Points: 3,892, Level: 39 Points: 3,892, Level: 39 Points: 3,892, Level: 39
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member

I feel like even if you managed to fit the motor in after modifying the frame and suspension, you'd have SO much issue with proper cooling that it would not be safe to drive.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
misdirected focus
Focus Enthusiast

Points 403, Level 8
Level Up 6% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
@VillageT-if I can find out how the rear subframe on the SHO is setup and basically transfer the setup to the rear subframe of the focus. The SHO rear diff will slide right in, now the rear half shafts will will have to be custom machined. Now the rear upper and lower control arms and knuckles will probably bolt right in place of the factory locations. I think with a little modification the SHO drivetrain should be no issue getting to fit.

@ mac.mogul- the cooling issue would not be a big problem, there are companies out there that can build a four core aluminum radiator to fit the focus. All I would have to is ship them my factory one and they build it to spec for cooling the 3.5 and keep the same dimension of the factory focus radiator. Upgrading the cooling fans to dual 12 inch flex-o-lite fans that spin to 8500 RPM and then use royal purple liquid ice with the factory coolant should help keep the engine run at normal engine temps

Like I said before, it's a stupid idea in the long run. But I do think that it could obtainable

Last edited by misdirected focus; 02-02-2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Made a mistake
Old 02-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
VillageT
Focus Enthusiast

I don't think there is any chance that you could make this an east/west swap. If you could get it in the halfshafts would be so short you couldn't turn the car.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
Sully313
Focus Addict

Fan#: 104895
What I Drive: 03 SVT ZX5 Red, 06 ZX3 SES Black

Points 1,171, Level 18
Points: 1,171, Level: 18 Points: 1,171, Level: 18 Points: 1,171, Level: 18
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Sully313 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Escape 1.6L or 2.0L Ecoboost AWD swap would probably be more feasible.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:37 PM   #9
misdirected focus
Focus Enthusiast

Points 403, Level 8
Level Up 6% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Well i looked up the dimensions of the exterior of both cars and there is not that much difference
between the 2 cars. Below are the specs of both cars and the breakdown in the difference is at the bottom.

2012 Ford Focus 5 DR HB SEL

EXTERIOR DIMENSIONS

Wheelbase - 104.3
Length, Overall - 171.6
Width, (Max w/o mirrors) - 71.8
Height, Overall - 57.7
Track Width, Front - 61.2
Track Width, Rear - 60.4

2012 Ford Taurus SHO AWD

EXTERIOR DIMENSIONS

Wheelbase - 112.9
Vehicle length - 202.9
Vehicle width, (without mirrors) - 76.2
Vehicle height at curb - 60.7
Track Width, Front - 65.3
Track Width, Rear - 65.5

Total Difference Between Both

Wheelbase - (-8.6)
Vehicle length - (-31.3)
Width, (Max w/o mirrors) - (-4.4)
Height, Overall - (-3.0)
Track Width, Front - (-4.1)
Track Width, Rear - (-5.1)

Now i know this does not mean much in the over all scheme of things, but the thing is your right on the half shafts. They will be either to long or two short to fit the correctly. Now there is a company where I live, and the build custom half shafts. Now the guy told me that once I got the motor, trans and the rear diff in the car. He told me once everything is in, he would measure the drive-shaft from the transfer case to the rear end and the measure the half shafts to all four corners to make sure that the car will be able to drive and turn like it was factory. The motor mounts will have to custom made to fit the sub-frame and the frame rails.

Now the Escape AWD would have some minor tweaks to be done for it to fit in the car. but the trans would have to have an adaptor plate made in order to fit the motor. But if your talking to adapt the escape AWD to the 2.0 then you would need the trans controller for the Escape and then have the ECM re-flashed to have the Escape trans controller paired to the Focus ECM. There is a company in the DFW area that does all ECM work and they even have the ability even do custom written software to make that possible. Once you have all of the drive train in the car they will have to re-pin the plug for the trans controller to fit the Escape trans controller.

I know this is a lot of work and tons of money, but if the mocking up phase and the planing goes correctly. This swap can be duplicated and possibly be something that can be massed produced if done correctly.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
VillageT
Focus Enthusiast

I don't think this is a practical swap but its your money.

You can tell a lot from a mockup but those are pretty expensive because you need real parts (that do not need to be functional) to make it work. Just remember that this is a front wheel drive installation which means that in order for the vehicle to be driveable you have to install the engine with the centerline of the differential in the same location as the production Focus package. You can rotate the engine somewhat around that centerline to try and get package clearance. This is critical to maintain reasonable working angles for the halfshafts. I believe the absolute maximum angles for those joints are 17 deg. for the inboard and 46 deg for the outboard joint. Both halfshafts need to be the same length to help control torque steer. You will have plenty of that with this package. I don't care what you driveline guy tells you about making halfshafts, he cannot change the laws of physics. As the halfshafts get shorter the working angles for the joints increase.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.