Noisy suspension and near stalling (5MT) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-06-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
empowah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91459
What I Drive: Mk3

Points 700, Level 13
Points: 700, Level: 13 Points: 700, Level: 13 Points: 700, Level: 13
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 empowah Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Noisy suspension and near stalling (5MT)

Hi all,

I took my 2012 SE Sport 5M to the dealer on Friday to get a couple issues resolved.

1. Noisy front suspension: I hear this "clomping" noise (not really a clunk, thud, rattle, or squeak) front the front end whenever going over bumps. I can replicate it going over a speed hump, and it's particularly obvious when I have passengers in the back and I go over uneven pavement. Or, when I brake on an uneven surface, I hear it right before coming to a stop.

Of course, the dealer "could not duplicate it" but I definitely hear it, and even a passenger has commented on it before. Anyone with a similar problem? I'm tempted to test drive another Focus to see if it's just as noisy over bumps. It's not a typical shock absorber compression sound.

2. Near stalling: I notice this especially when the engine is still cold (<3 min of driving). When coming to a stop in NEUTRAL, the engine nearly dies (gets as low as 300 rpm) and it shoots back up to idle. It's happened a couple of times (each time I make sure I'm not in gear), and it's not particularly confidence inspiring. Seems only to happen when I come to a moderately rapid stop from a hill.

Could not replicate problem. Seems like a software thing?

3. Rear door panel: The top of my passenger side rear door panel had a larger gap than that on the driver side's. They fixed this with some anti-squeak tape. But both rear doors still squeak faintly when I open and close them. Sounds like there's something loose, as if plastic is rubbing against plastic, and I can duplicate the sound rocking the door back and forth on one of its hinge detents.

All things considered, still liking the car very much, but interested to see if others have these same issues.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
turbo2300
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98088
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 turbo2300 Good Standing Member
Mine makes front end noises and it has 900 mile on it today lol

As for the near stalling, the only near stalling I get is trying to get used to pulling out on hills or with 4 people in the car. My cummins ram I just let the clutch out and my cobra has 4.10s and 300ft lbs so that's not hard. It seems this car needs a little coercing to move.

The biggest thing right now that drives me nuts is part throttle in town cruising- it seems to surge, maybe a slight buck at low rpm/low speed. Not 5th gear at 10mph buck but rolling in 3rd its like you are playing with the throttle and you aren't touching it
Old 05-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Same exact front end noise and conditions in which they occur!. When I'm by myself it doesn't do it quite as bad but with a passenger it definitely happens.

Apparently this noise is very common and alot of people are complaining of it.

I think there will be a recall on the shocks or struts some day. Hopefully!

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267513
Old 05-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 13,860, Level 76
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
I get the near stall once in awhile. i consider it a natural event and would never complain about it. The engine actually does not stall.
I guess i just can live with a few tiny imperfections?
Old 05-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
Altis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89540
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Hatch 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Altis Good Standing Member
I had a similar clunking problem... they replaced the front springs, which didn't seem to help at all. Not even sure why, to be honest.

My dealership is really good at getting my car in there, with excellent service and kind staff... but I'm not entirely sure they know what they're doing with the car sometimes!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
DougC
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86547
What I Drive: The biggest mistake I've ever made.

FF Reputation: 1 DougC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
I guess i just can live with a few tiny imperfections?
That's great; however there are those of us that are suffering from far more than "a few tiny imperfections". You've spouted off your little fangirl line enough to make most of us suffering from these various and sundry issues feel like puking. Enough already. If that is all you have to "add" please stick to your "I LOVE my 2012 Ford Focus 100% whoo hoo thread!!".
Old 05-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,298, Level 35
Points: 3,298, Level: 35 Points: 3,298, Level: 35 Points: 3,298, Level: 35
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by empowah View Post
...I took my 2012 SE Sport 5M to the dealer on Friday to get a couple issues resolved.
1. Noisy front suspension...
2. Near stalling...
3. Rear door panel...
All things considered, still liking the car very much, but interested to see if others have these same issues.
Hey empowah,

Thanks for your patience as the dealer addresses the concerns you stated. I’m available to help by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager for your area. In order to do so, please send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2300 View Post
Mine makes front end noises and it has 900 mile on it today lol
As for the near stalling, the only near stalling I get is trying to get used to pulling out on hills or with 4 people in the car...
The biggest thing right now that drives me nuts is part throttle in town cruising- it seems to surge, maybe a slight buck at low rpm/low speed...
Hi turbo2300,

Congratulations on the Focus!

Your vehicle is nearing the recommended break-in period stated on page 5 of the Owner Guide, and may experience a smoothing out as time goes by. However, if the concern continues or increases, please make an appointment with your dealer, and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. I’ll be happy to escalate the issue to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Same exact front end noise and conditions in which they occur!. When I'm by myself it doesn't do it quite as bad but with a passenger it definitely happens....
Hello Dysan911,

It's been a while since we have spoken.

I escalated a concern for you some time ago. I'll be more than happy to contact the Customer Service Manager for your area about this issue. Shoot me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, your personal, and dealer contact info to begin the escalation process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
I get the near stall once in awhile. i consider it a natural event and would never complain about it. The engine actually does not stall...
Elizabeth,

I haven't seen you in a while!

So happy to know the Focus is driving as you desire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altis View Post
I had a similar clunking problem... they replaced the front springs, which didn't seem to help at all. Not even sure why, to be honest.
My dealership is really good at getting my car in there, with excellent service and kind staff...
Altis,

I appreciate your patience as the dealer attempts to address the concern. When you get a chance, give the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center a call at 1.800.565.3673 for assistance.

Thanks and take care!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 05-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Thank you Noemi,

I appreciate the offer but at this time no-one that's taken their car in for service on this issue has reported a successful resolution. I am hoping to remain patient in hopes of a real fix coming out soon.

Reference:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267513
Old 05-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,298, Level 35
Points: 3,298, Level: 35 Points: 3,298, Level: 35 Points: 3,298, Level: 35
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Thank you Noemi,
I appreciate the offer but at this time no-one that's taken their car in for service on this issue has reported a successful resolution. I am hoping to remain patient in hopes of a real fix coming out soon....
Hey Dysan911,

No problem. Iím sure our engineers are working on resolving this issue, so shoot me a PM when you decide to have the concern reviewed by the Customer Service Manager.

Take care!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 02-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #10
mpf77
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101126
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE 5door M/T

FF Reputation: 1 mpf77 Good Standing Member
Apologies for bringing back a thread from the past. I wanted to know if anyone has any additional information on the engine stalling.

I have a 2012 Focus 5sp MT and it started today. It was during the warm up that the engine stalls for a second, then keeps going. It happened three times today and cannot reproduce. I have 3/4 full tank and good gas. It feels like the ECU goes dead for a second and immediately comes back alive. No hesitation, misfiring or anything. Just plain dead for a second and back to life.

Anyone know anything about it?

Thanks!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.