R&R front powerdoor lock actuator - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
cri33
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104111
What I Drive: 2007 Ford Focus ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 1 cri33 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Power Door Lock problem

Well I have a 2007 Focus and I think some are different. Anyway there is a rod that connects the outside handle to the mechanism inside. That makes it impossible to pull out the actuator without removing the door handle/mechanism. Believe me I tried for almost 30 min. If not for that it would be sort of easy. I have seen a couple of You Tube videos and they are helpful.

But in the end you have to get in there and sort of peck and hunt your way through it. I figure if worse comes to worse I can always drive the thing to the garage and have them take over. But I think I can handle it tho it will take some time, effort, and maybe head scratching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cri33 View Post
Well I have a 2007 Focus and I think some are different. Anyway there is a rod that connects the outside handle to the mechanism inside. That makes it impossible to pull out the actuator without removing the door handle/mechanism. Believe me I tried for almost 30 min. If not for that it would be sort of easy. I have seen a couple of You Tube videos and they are helpful.

But in the end you have to get in there and sort of peck and hunt your way through it. I figure if worse comes to worse I can always drive the thing to the garage and have them take over. But I think I can handle it tho it will take some time, effort, and maybe head scratching.
Yes, I have 2007 too but all cars from 00-07 are the same in that respect. I'm not sure which youtube videos you watched, but every one I saw plus the factory shop manual show the exterior door handle must be removed before the rod is freed. Only then can you tackle latch removal.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #13
cri33
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Power Door Lock problem

Yes I agree...the door handle must be removed. Sort of a job in itself since the bolts are so small you can barely see them (in my car anyway). Well I Think those the the door handle mounting screws. Sort of small. You could never think those held the door handle to the door. Hmm...guess I will find out.

Have to get a couple of Torx drivers and maybe review the YouTube videos again.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes I agree...the door handle must be removed. Sort of a job in itself since the bolts are so small you can barely see them (in my car anyway). Well I Think those the the door handle mounting screws. Sort of small. You could never think those held the door handle to the door. Hmm...guess I will find out.

Have to get a couple of Torx drivers and maybe review the YouTube videos again.
I found this job to be more difficult than most claim. It's tough to work blind in the door panel. It may be beneficial to examine pics of the l;atch assembly on ebay tp understand the nature of mounting points and plastic frame assembly that spans from the bottom to the top of the door..
Old 01-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #15
cri33
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Power Door Lock problem

Yes it is not all that easy to work behind the door panel. If the inner skin was not there it would be far easier. It might be a good idea to take a photo of the guts as you take it apart and then if you get lost you have something to look at (in lieu of a shop manual). It would also be much easier if Ford designed that rod to come apart. It wouldn't be that hard. But I guess that is asking too much. This is not a job for someone who is not mechanically inclined or doesn't have the patience to work with it out or the car is needed everyday. I didn't even want to do it but the garage charges too much and if the R side goes out I will know what is involved. Hopefully that won't happen for awhile or I will have sold the car.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #16
cri33
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Power Door actuator Removal

Yeah no simple 30 min job unless you maybe have done it before. Removing the door handle is easy. 2 screws. However getting the mechanism out that controls the rod that operates the latch is not. I am still not sure how to do it since it is hard to see in there even with a high intensity light. I thought it would just pull free when both screws were out. That doesn't seem to be the case. And once you do have it loose it appears you need to pull everything out at once because the rod connects the door latch mechanism to the actuator assembly. Am I missing something here? Then of course you have to replace the part and put it all back in. Hope that isn't any harder than removing it. This is not a job for people who aren't willing to be patient and maybe learn something. I strongly recommend that people study the video clips closely, have the correct tools, a shop manual, and maybe a buddy who can help you out when you get disgusted. It might save a lot of work, maybe breakage of parts, and your sanity. And remember that once the assembly is out there is no way to latch the door closed. Pretty fair size job.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #17
cri33
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Remove front power lock actuator+ latch mechanism

http://www.ehow.com/way_5626116_step...oor-latch.html

This seems like a good guide even though there are no pics. :(

The latch mechanism (that operates the rod) and the actuator come out together.

You could even go to the site where Ford mechanics tell you how to do it but that costs $29.00. Pick your poison.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #18
Focusblackzx5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95212
What I Drive: 2005 Black zx5

FF Reputation: 1 Focusblackzx5 Good Standing Member
Those actuators are very fragile... just replaced the ones in my RR door and RL door on my 2005. They all failed this year. On my 2003, two of them broke... 285$ a piece, it's not something cheap.

Your best option, remove the door panel and all the parts to reach the actuator and go to a Ford dealer. Will take 30 min and will be donne for 40-60$ of time. *+new piece*

It sucks but, I don't want to put a used one that will fail the year after.

-Anthony
Old 01-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #19
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusblackzx5 View Post
Those actuators are very fragile... just replaced the ones in my RR door and RL door on my 2005. They all failed this year. On my 2003, two of them broke... 285$ a piece, it's not something cheap.

Your best option, remove the door panel and all the parts to reach the actuator and go to a Ford dealer. Will take 30 min and will be donne for 40-60$ of time. *+new piece*

It sucks but, I don't want to put a used one that will fail the year after.

-Anthony
I wonder what was changed in '06/'07 compared to '05 because the latching mechanism part#'s are not the same. The number of part# changes to these latches is staggering. My experience with Ford tells me that running changes were made for some reason & they could be major (to correct a weakness) or minor (different mfr with minor revision, design change to reduce cost etc). The inner and outer door handles and cables look identical, so parts may still interchange. This change could be limited to the power latch mechanisms or built-in anti-theft/alarm circuitry. I have not checked into the standard manual unit part #'s so they may or may not be the same.

I can understand not choosing used if you're paying for dealer labor. However if you figure out how to do the job yourself watching youtube, the difference between a used one for $40 vs new for $280 would encourage me to take a chance. I can buy 7 used one's for that price. It'd be nice if you know the mileage on the used donor car. It also sounds like the latch mechanisms can be disassembled and rebuilt if you have some skill & time to kill. More than likely, cleaning and greasing would greatly help lifespan. Door locks on your house aren't much different. Once the lube vanishes it tends to bend, jamb, wear and destroy itself. I'm betting that cars parked outside instead of inside a garage see more latch issues due to freezing, dirt and water. The 2007 latch mechanisms I bought off ebay looked 20 years old, covered with dirt and rust. It was an outside car lol.

I wouldn't want a used latch from a car with 200K mi lol.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #20
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
........And remember that once the assembly is out there is no way to latch the door closed. .
Use duct tape externally around door perimeter and bungees inside to hold door shut and crawl across to get out. No worse than holding the window up when the power motor mechanism fails. Just make sure you remove your ipod and garmin when you park. What thief would steal your $2 window ice scraper and cig lighter?

Bookmarks & Social Networks