Next Mod Advice - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-10-2014, 08:00 AM   #1
Bdurb
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 94041
What I Drive: 2009, Maroon, Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Bdurb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Next Mod Advice

I have a 2009 Focus SE with FSWerks CAI and Stealth Exhaust. It is already loud enough in the cab that I am hesitating to put headers on as I had planned before. What would be some recommendations for future mods to aid performance? I am going to get a tune once I finish some of these basics, but wanted to wait a bit. I can't afford to do the turbo, but want to get the best performance I can on a budget. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Cams, tune.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
If you do get a new header, you will want to add another muffler/resonator to your exhaust setup. Since you already said it was loud enough now, you will definitely want something else in line to keep the sound level in check.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97562
What I Drive: 2007 Oxford White ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 Phestezio Good Standing Member
I agree with Rambleon, if its already loud enough but you want to put the headers on for performance reasons you would definetly want to add an extra resonator or muffler to your exhaust to keep it from getting louder. A tune will be a necessity for you if you want to go that far with mods.

A few cheap mods would be "deleting" the PCV and running a catch can with an open breather, as well as an EGR delete would help with performance. A Ford escape intake manifold would be another good mod to delete your tumble flaps, however you won't see a significant gain in power with those mods especially without a tune. CFM also makes a great 67mm throttle body, it is much bigger than stock and really makes it more fun to drive. putting a set of cams would give you the most noticable gains.

As far as where your at right now I would first start by getting a flash tuner and getting a custom tune from Tom since you are really going to need it if your going to continue to add mods, the cams, throttle body, EGR delete, intake manifold, headers are all going to require a tune if you want the car to run safely and effectively.

I just finished doing alot of these mods to my car a couple weeks ago and im in the process of tuning with Tom right now, I'll probably try to get it on the dyno soon so you can see what kind of power increase your looking at with heavy bolt-on mods. but once again a tune is a necessity and I would first start by getting the means to tune your car before you go much further with mods.

Not that it matters too much but this is a list of the engine mods I have done to my car, still stock bottom and top end on a 2.0 duratec. Still NA, all bolt-on mods. I'll have some pics up on my profile today or tomorrow.
FocusSport 4-1 racing header
2.5" exhaust with a 3"x29" cherrybomb glasspack with 2.5" inlets
AEM wideband A/F ratio gauge
Massive Speed EGR delete plate
PCV "delete"
Knock-off Cosi Intake Manifold
CFM 67mm Throttle body
AEM Cold Air Intake
Brisk LGS spark plugs - 1 stage colder
Old 02-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84830
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Gray Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 9 crice8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Even if you add an additional muffler or resonator it will be louder than it is now if you add a header. I just took my fswerks header off my car last weekend because I wanted to tone down my car a bit. I have 3 mufflers and two resonators under my car and it was still quite loud with the header. Plus you get the additional "pingy" header sound to the exhaust tone. If you feel like it is loud enough as is, Definitely don't go header.
Galatians 6:14
Old 02-10-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Sounds like you guys all beat me to the answers & mods the op can add.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 02-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #7
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
A PCV, EGR delete, and a larger throttle body all won't increase power but are not bad mods to have.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
Bdurb
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 94041
What I Drive: 2009, Maroon, Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Bdurb Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phestezio View Post
I agree with Rambleon, if its already loud enough but you want to put the headers on for performance reasons you would definetly want to add an extra resonator or muffler to your exhaust to keep it from getting louder. A tune will be a necessity for you if you want to go that far with mods.

A few cheap mods would be "deleting" the PCV and running a catch can with an open breather, as well as an EGR delete would help with performance. A Ford escape intake manifold would be another good mod to delete your tumble flaps, however you won't see a significant gain in power with those mods especially without a tune. CFM also makes a great 67mm throttle body, it is much bigger than stock and really makes it more fun to drive. putting a set of cams would give you the most noticable gains.

As far as where your at right now I would first start by getting a flash tuner and getting a custom tune from Tom since you are really going to need it if your going to continue to add mods, the cams, throttle body, EGR delete, intake manifold, headers are all going to require a tune if you want the car to run safely and effectively.

I just finished doing alot of these mods to my car a couple weeks ago and im in the process of tuning with Tom right now, I'll probably try to get it on the dyno soon so you can see what kind of power increase your looking at with heavy bolt-on mods. but once again a tune is a necessity and I would first start by getting the means to tune your car before you go much further with mods.

Not that it matters too much but this is a list of the engine mods I have done to my car, still stock bottom and top end on a 2.0 duratec. Still NA, all bolt-on mods. I'll have some pics up on my profile today or tomorrow.
FocusSport 4-1 racing header
2.5" exhaust with a 3"x29" cherrybomb glasspack with 2.5" inlets
AEM wideband A/F ratio gauge
Massive Speed EGR delete plate
PCV "delete"
Knock-off Cosi Intake Manifold
CFM 67mm Throttle body
AEM Cold Air Intake
Brisk LGS spark plugs - 1 stage colder
Thank you for all of the advice. I have already started to look into some options. Forgive the newbie question, but when I go with a tune from Tom, what happens when I make additional mods...how expensive is getting an update? Thanks again bro.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #9
Buickboy
br/o/stang

Fan#: 28542
What I Drive: 72 Skylark, '12 Mustang

FF Reputation: 39 Buickboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
without touching the exhaust manifold? 2.3 swap (or 2.5 if youre feeling frisky).

Just do the header and dont look back, youll adjust to it and love the additional power once youre tuned for it
Old 02-15-2014, 04:54 PM   #10
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 64 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Tune Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdurb View Post
Thank you for all of the advice. I have already started to look into some options. Forgive the newbie question, but when I go with a tune from Tom, what happens when I make additional mods...how expensive is getting an update? Thanks again bro.
When you get a "Tune" from Tom, updates whenever needed are included.

Any changes needed for future mods (not including forced induction), including the same fine tuning as when you first get the tune are part of the deal.

It's easiest to plan a group of changes together, rather than individually, since some changes compliment each other.

Putting a tune near the top of your list helps, since it has arguably the most individual effect of any "mod" and will help get more out of any future changes.

S.R. #275

Bookmarks & Social Networks