ignition lock - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-31-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
shalling
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107614
What I Drive: 2004 black

FF Reputation: 1 shalling Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ignition lock

ok my key don't always turn have to tap it to get it to turn most of the time now do i need to replace the switch or is there something else that is broken? anyone else have this problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 02:43 AM   #2
GO.army.1969
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 69605
What I Drive: 2008 Vapor Silver Coupe 5 speed

FF Reputation: 15 GO.army.1969 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Time to replace the ignition switch before you get stuck some where. That suck's never know when that tap wont work any more.
NW Posse#10 Team Duratec#69
F2 Header, Steath Exhaust, CAI, AR103, Tuned by Randy Fswerks, DGR Coil Overs
DOMINANT front and rear LCA DOMINANT endlinks Massive toe and camber arms
Old 12-31-2012, 04:40 AM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yes, there are 2 types of ignition lock cylinders. There is the one that was installed at the factory in 00-04 Focis that will fail eventually, and there is the improved model that doesn't fail.

Look at the position of the key hole in the coin that surrounds it. If the key hole is off center, then you have the faulty lock cylinder. If the key hole is in the center, then it is the new lock cylinder. You must change the faulty lock cylinder ASAP while the key still turns. Ford lock cylinders require the key to be able to turn in order to remove. When the key stops turning, the lock cylinder must be drilled out before it can be removed. There is a possibility of damaging the steering column when it has to be drilled out.

You also want to use your existing key for the new lock cylinder because of the RFID chip in the key. Plus, who wants 2 keys for a car that should have only one key? Purchase a new lock cylinder from a Ford dealer. They should only give you the re-designed lock cylinder. If you take your VIN with you, I have heard the dealer can re-key the lock cylinder to your key. If not, you can take it to a locksmith and have it re-keyed to your lock cylinder. Now it's ready to be installed.

Remove the plastic covers around the lock cylinder. Use the key to turn the old lock cylinder to ACC. Now use a punch or allen key to press in the detent that pops out at the base of the lock cylinder. The lock cylinder pops off. Insert new lock cylinder, turn key, and check to see if it's locked in place. Install plastic covers, and you're done in minutes. If you have trouble turning the key back to ACC then you can try spraying WD40 in the key hole. Use this as a last resort- if tapping is working, then try that first.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
shalling
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107614
What I Drive: 2004 black

FF Reputation: 1 shalling Good Standing Member
you make it sound too easy... what about the anti theft system? i don't have a scan tool with this option on it
Old 12-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 19 amc49 Great Standing Member
Uh, read paragraph 3 again.............
Old 01-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
Bradinnes
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 80273
What I Drive: 2003 Grey Focus SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 Bradinnes Good Standing Member
My 2003 Focus wagon started to have issues with the IC this past weekend. I never even realized this was a problem with the older generation Focus or I would've swapped it out right away. I just bought the car in March 2012. Saturday it wouldn't turn after my wife and 9mth old son went to run some errands. Luckily it turned after a few hundred tries and about 20 minutes. By Sunday it was locked up and the key just wouldn't turn it. I went right to this site and looked it up. Mike (b16sir1991) use to build them for you but he no longer does that. I called him and he was very helpful about getting the part which is a Motorcraft IC part # SW6285. My dealer wanted 165.00 CAD dollars, just for the part. It would cost 373.00 CAD plus taxes to have it done at the dealership, if I could get it there. Mike suggested I look on-line or even Ebay. I found one on Amazon.com for 66.00 USD. I had to have it shipped immediately so it ended up costing 103.00 USD all told to my door step. I ordered on Monday and it was here Tuesday afternoon. There are detail instructions in the IC kit. It really was quit simple to build it to accept my key. I was able to free up the old IC by tapping the end of my key with a small hammer. The removal of the old IC was a cinch! There are detailed instructions on how to do it here on the forum and on-line. The new one is in now and it really is a lot more sturdy than the old one. Any one who has or buys a Focus with an off center, crinkle metal finish IC should swap it for the new one. It's worth the piece of mind. Thanks to Mike for talking with me and for all the people who posted info on the IC swap. It made this a snap to do myself. Best car forum ever!!! Thanks guys.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
Bradinnes
Focus Rookie

Oh, two things that are rarely mentioned when swapping the IC. One is, remove the positive terminal from your battery and keep it out of the way from touching the post. Wait a few minutes to allow the capacitor in the air bag to discharge. You don't want to accidentally have a face full. Secondly, after you finally get to the ignition and all the plastic covers are off or out of the way you should see a black plastic ring around the ignition. I believe this is for the PAT system. Disconnect the small wiring plug from the plastic module. Remove that plastic ring with the module attached to it. It's only one screw. You don't want to break and/or damage this piece. It's better out of the way any how. That's that. Hope that helps some one.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
Bradinnes
Focus Rookie

Here's an awesome video that shows everything.

Bookmarks & Social Networks