Problem with flushing the brake system 03 Focus ZX5 - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-31-2012, 02:14 AM   #11
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 2,838, Level 32
Points: 2,838, Level: 32 Points: 2,838, Level: 32 Points: 2,838, Level: 32
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 81%
Activity: 81% Activity: 81% Activity: 81%
FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Some of the info given here is nuts.

If you can tell the pedal is softer than it was before the work then you have air in lines plain and simple.

Mityvacs absolutely suck for brake bleeding, I don't care what the product says. I have two and have done it with them. They pass way too much air right at your fitting through the threads, you will seem to get air forever and it will not go away.

If you DO have ABS, then as long as ABS never activated during the low pedal problem (it shouldn't even be possible) then the ABS system is transparent to the lines, they are not affected, at least on any I ever worked on. Meaning you bleed like on a normal non-ABS car.

'Brake fluid does not compress. So if you put the cap back on, then you have someone open up a bleeder, push fluid out, tighten the bleeder, and then let up on the pedal, things can break.'

Nope...........

When you let up on pedal the m/c simply draws more fluid from the reservoir. Like the system does all year long in use when brake pads wear. I've been bleeding with cap firmly on for 45 years with not one mishap.

When doing the two man manual bleed if you open the bleeder quickly and all at once, the force of brake fluid spurting out can pull air in at end of squirt so fast you can't see it. The positive pressure pulls negative behind it just as in all pressure pulse phenomena. Better to slowly crack fitting and try to get it closed just before pedal stroke ends, meaning no more than a one inch jet of fluid. Half would be better. If person inside car cannot be relied on to follow direction 100% (not 98 or 99%) correctly, then you cannot do the bleeding right. Exact communication there is essential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 02:25 AM   #12
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

Points 125,819, Level 100
Points: 125,819, Level: 100 Points: 125,819, Level: 100 Points: 125,819, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 91%
Activity: 91% Activity: 91% Activity: 91%
FF Reputation: 48 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
I have to agree with AMC, I've bleed with the cap on and off before and never had a problem with that. This is the first time I ever heard that something could break.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 12-31-2012, 05:04 AM   #13
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 26,965, Level 97
Points: 26,965, Level: 97 Points: 26,965, Level: 97 Points: 26,965, Level: 97
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
They pass way too much air right at your fitting through the threads, you will seem to get air forever and it will not go away
That is covered in the directions. Even bubbles are ok, uneven bubbles are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot
'Brake fluid does not compress. So if you put the cap back on, then you have someone open up a bleeder, push fluid out, tighten the bleeder, and then let up on the pedal, things can break.'
Quote:
Nope...........
Perhaps that is a difference between one man and two man bleeding. I KOed a master cylinder with a one-man kit years ago because I put the cap back on. I can count the number of times I bled with a helper on one hand. That's why I recommend the Miti-Vac, and suggest that people read the directions which explain what happens when you use the supplied hard plastic nipples. I don't always use their plastic nipples. As much as I can, I force the clear hose over the brake nipple so there is nowhere for the vacuum action to draw air into the bleeder.

Quote:
If person inside car cannot be relied on to follow direction 100% (not 98 or 99%) correctly, then you cannot do the bleeding right. Exact communication there is essential.
And that's why I can count the number of times I've done it with a partner on one hand. The $5 one man bleeder kit is ok. I've gone through several of those, but you're just as well off with punching a hole in the top of an empty container of brake fluid then running a hose into that.

Calling people nuts doesn't make you look smarter. You do what you do, and I'll do what I do.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 2,838, Level 32
Points: 2,838, Level: 32 Points: 2,838, Level: 32 Points: 2,838, Level: 32
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 81%
Activity: 81% Activity: 81% Activity: 81%
FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I was diplomatic, I said SOME of the INFORMATION was nuts, not people. Sorry you were crossed and not the intention. My 'Nope' was actually incorrect, I suppose there will always be a way to screw up everything. You have to remove the cap once in a while..............

I'd sure like to know the difference between even and uneven bubbles though..........especially when all the training on the planet says to not stop bleeding until all the air is GONE. Excuses (from toolmaker, not you) made for a nonstarter tool (in that use of course) in my view, I certainly had to take them back at the store after selling them and purchaser griped they didn't work. I quit pushing them for bleeding as every one I sold came back with complaints. Seems to me the instructions in paperwork are at war with the world. I myself know the difference in the bubbles and even/uneven doesn't enter the picture there since you will ALWAYS have an air stream if bleeder screw threads leaking. The bubbles will be more like extremely fine rather than visible big air pockets. You can stop that clouding the issue by sealing up the threads on bleeder with teflon tape. Even though that works, I never use Mityvac. Too flaky. Maybe all the people returning them for same reason have clouded my brain.

You killed m/c because you one man bled too long without momentary cap relief, the diaphragm inside makes up for fluid loss but only has so much volume. Usually bleeding has cap pulled repeatedly enough checking if more fluid needed to vent what has become suction airspace, if not the diaphragm will pull in more and more until it ruptures or by some chance a seal edge on piston rolls backwards on itself from suction, which IS possible. Yes, liquids do not compress..........

Bookmarks & Social Networks