Wipers Switch won't operate anything. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-19-2004, 12:15 AM   #1
BigBenb84
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 8141
What I Drive: '03 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 BigBenb84 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wipers Switch won't operate anything.

Yo,
Ok, Everything on my car has worked perfectly since I got it 6 months ago. Then two days ago i hosed it off in the morning and went to use my wipers and they didn't work. Not even my rear wiper, not even the washers....anything that the wiper switch arm operates does not work. I think it has to be the switch (hoping).....it rained last week and my wipers worked fine...the only out-of-the-ordinary thing done to my car since using the wipers last is getting a new front windshield. I wasn't home when they replaced it but I'm pretty sure they didn't even touch the wiper switch, they probably didn't even put the keys in the ignition. (They came to my house and replaced it in my driveway, (car never moved). So why all-the-sudden did everything that my wipers switch arm operate...stop operatin? Everyone says "probably a fuse" well front wipers, rear wipers, and the washers all run on different fuses....so all of those burnt out at the same time? and why would they after six months of owning it and NO mods to the thing?? Still under warantee so Ford might have to figure this one out. Plus I want the intermitten switch conversion anyway...maybe this is my reason too.

Ben
Pensacola, FL

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2004, 08:32 PM   #2
cbogg
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 15595
What I Drive: 2000 Maroon SE

FF Reputation: 1 cbogg Good Standing Member
Well I think we know where you're gonna start don't we?? Go ahead and buy the intermittent switch, drop it in, and before you put everything completely back together, try it. If it works, slap it all back together. If not, put the old one back in then take it to the dealer ( and put the new one in when you get it home ). Cuz if the switch works, bingo, there's your problem. If not, it's something deeper and let the dealer cover it under warranty. The only reason for yanking that before taking it to the dealer, some are total douches and might try to say that your "aftermarket modification" caused the problem and void that portion of your waranty. And hey, what can it hurt, those switches cost like a whoppin 30 bucks.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:08 AM   #3
BigBenb84
Focus Rookie

Wiper Dilema

All right, I 've found the problem....sorta. The front wiper fuse keeps blowing, and apprently when the front wiper fuse blows, no other wiper function works. Fuses for the rear wiper are fine. I took that front wiper fuse and it was blown, so I put the horn fuse (same 20amp) in it's place till I could go to Autozone to buy some more 20amp fuses. Well it blew that fuse too, so instead of trying/sacrificing a third fuse I will just bring it back to the dealer...why, after 6 months of working perfectly, does my front wiper fuse keep blowing?? p.s. I will buy that int. wiper switch now but won't put it in till the wipers are fixed.

Ben
Pensacola, FL
Old 12-20-2004, 09:56 AM   #4
iH8rice
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2387
What I Drive: '02 pitch black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 iH8rice Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
similar prob

i went out last night and forgot that the it rained and that it had turned like 4 degrees out side so of coarse its frozen and i turn the wipers on and they move up a little then after 3 seconds they go back down i hope i didn't blow the wiper motor, but does anyone have a suggestion, cause the rear wiper and nothing else for that matter works off the wiper switch

thanks in advance
fain
Old 12-20-2004, 12:18 PM   #5
CKA
*~*

Fan#: 2313
What I Drive: '02 ZTS/'99 Explorer/'13 Fusion

FF Reputation: 74 CKA Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (24)
I was thinking fuse too.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:16 PM   #6
BigBenb84
Focus Rookie

(<--I'm the one that posted up there "switch won't operate anything")Well...I brought my Focus back to the dealer cause it was still under warrantee. They replaced my front wiper motor, now it all works. They said the motor was "bad", who knows if the motor had fried or it was just somethin else and replacing the motor was just an easy way to fix any wiper motor problem...and since it was under warrantee Ford Motor Company paid for it...more labor money the dealership gets....either way...It all works...woohoo. And I waited till AFTER I got it back from the dealer to install the interval wiper switch, since our ZX3s ain't good enough to get one.

Ben
Pensacola, FL
Old 12-20-2004, 08:25 PM   #7
CKA
*~*

Fan#: 2313
What I Drive: '02 ZTS/'99 Explorer/'13 Fusion

FF Reputation: 74 CKA Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (24)
Well that's good, maybe the bad motor was making that fuse blow out.
Thank god 4 the warranty.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.