This is the worst car ive ever driven in snow - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #61
BlueIce
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93794
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 BlueIce Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
I had the same tires (I'm guessing? Alpin PS3) and had no trouble last winter or the one snow I drove in this winter. Seemed to handle the snow pretty well, and I'm not talking about 1 inch...I live in Cleveland.

Then again I just traded in the car yesterday for a 2013 Accord Sport, and this thing kills the snow like it's on a mission.
Last winter sucked. We barely had any snow and I still managed to total my GTI in the whole, about 1 inch of snow we had. Oh well, I made out in that crash, got a new car and a few grand.

On-topic though, we've been gettin EFFING HAMMERED lately and I haven't had 1 bit of a problem in the snow or ice with the original Continentals. Even on my driveway with an incline, throw it in 1st and just ease on up. I will admit I do have a sandbag in the back though. Seems to keep the ass end of hatches from sliding around like Apolo Anton Ohno. You have to take it slow and steady and know how to drive in the snow. Besides from the jeep I used to have, this is the best handling car I've owned so far snow-wise.

www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293992
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 02:17 AM   #62
jinstall
Deutsche Arsche

Fan#: 9730
What I Drive: 01 ZX3RACECAR/04 ST170/13 FST2

FF Reputation: 4 jinstall Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
DC area, 4" snow, summer tires on a stanced Focus, 17 miles home from work. No issues except the turds that could not drive slowing down to 5mph. Even made it up the drive. I am from Florida BTW.
2013 Focus ST2 TS NAV SUNROOF-Hers
Old 12-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #63
BrApple
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95810
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 BrApple Good Standing Member
I would have to say the Focus handles the snow/slippery roads well. I was just out after the snow in my SE Sport w/5spd and it was fine in the snow. I have the stock 16" wheels/tires with 14k miles.

Going up a hill I just dropped it into first and took off. Got on the gas some more and the TC kicked in and was to me, predictable. I hardly noticed it was working except for the dash light.

The stability control was interesting, I have never driven a car with it before. I took a few corners harder then normal and The car pushed and/or I felt the rear start to come around. The stability control straightened the car right out. I then drove our 2012 Impreza right after and felt the Focus system worked better. However turning TC off in the Impreza on a hill start, it just went, and stability control kept it moving well.
- 2k Contour SVT - #2137
- 12 Impreza 2.0i Premium - CVT
Old 12-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #64
blackraven456
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88061
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 blackraven456 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Focus View Post
First snow of the year and the car was pretty much immobilized. I have Michelin Alpin snow tires and this car was pretty much stopped in an inch of snow . Could not make it up a slight grade. Got so bad I had to shut the traction control off. It's a bit of a weapon. I barely make it through an intersection before the light goes red. Not impressed.
Drive in a lower gear. It sounds like you don't really know how to drive in snow. My car performs admirably with the stock all seasons.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #65
FZJ80
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94540
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5-Door Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 FZJ80 Good Standing Member
Interesting range of opinions in this thread. My DD has been a Subaru of one form or another for the last 20 years. I knew it was going to be a big change to move away from AWD, but the Focus seems to chug through the snow well enough. I live at the top of a hill, and so far I've made it up every time. The traction control blinks a lot on the way up, but I don't feel like I'm going to lose control of the car. Our '05 Odyssey doesn't seem to engage the traction control as much on the same hill running similar tires (Conti Eco Contact's), but it's also a lot heavier so I would expect it to grip better. Neither vehicle makes it up the hill as smoothly as my LandCruiser, but until I get the free time to rebuild the front axle, it shall remain uselessly dangling from the lift .
Old 12-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #66
MelloYelloTi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95982
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Focus Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 MelloYelloTi Good Standing Member
Mine with the 195/65/15 General Altimax Artic's couldn't have been any better with the last few snow storms over the last several weeks. If anything, I've found that the traction/stability control can be a little over sensitive to play with.

Below was a 12" storm.. Again nothing to complain about..

Old 12-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #67
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

FF Reputation: 10 valmundo Great Standing Member
Having lived in Miami/Fort Lauderdale for about 20 years, I think I would cry if I had to get up to go to work in that kind of weather! Kudos to those here that do it everyday like its no big deal! I am a cold weather wuss.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:07 PM   #68
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by valmundo View Post
Having lived in Miami/Fort Lauderdale for about 20 years, I think I would cry if I had to get up to go to work in that kind of weather! Kudos to those here that do it everyday like its no big deal! I am a cold weather wuss.
As one who was raised and lived in climates that rarely got more than a couple inches of snow, but now live on the 45th parallel, i still consider myself a winter wuss. Lol. I have conti dws on my car and it does well in snow but luckily i can walk to work and dont need to drive in the whote stuff if i dont wish to, so ur not alone. Ha ha.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:54 PM   #69
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VH5150 View Post
I got home from work tonight and proclaimed to the wife that "her" Focus is an absolute beast in the snow. Blizzak WS70s, Traction Control OFF. It was a messy, messy drive home for sure; I started off with the TC on, but pulled over after a while and shut it off--much better!
Ditto, my Focus is wearing four of those WS-70s in the 215/55-17 size mounted on Drag aluminum wheels and the car absolutely rocks in the snow! It was pretty messy (6-8 inches of snow, slushy, icy) recently in SE MI and I spent a few hours blasting around in it having a ball before the road crews caught up. Very surefooted and definitely the best car in the snow and on ice that I've had yet.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #70
Deehugh
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99502
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Deehugh Good Standing Member
I have a 5 speed as well and can say that I feel like this car performs fairly decent in the snow with the stock continentals. It wont win any awards but the TCS does just enough to keep the car moving at fairly low RPM. By no means is it the worst car...get a stick

Bookmarks & Social Networks