This is the worst car ive ever driven in snow - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #31
Arizona
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104429
What I Drive: SE Sport, MT & Lotus Europa TC

FF Reputation: 7 Arizona Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Mine seems to do alright with just the OEM tires but we've only had a bit less than 3 feet of our average 100"/year so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #32
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
I only have good things to say about my 15" Nokian Hakkapeliitta R's.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #33
Merrigan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 104581
What I Drive: 2013 Black SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Merrigan Good Standing Member
I feel the need to make a Toronto driver joke...

But seriously. I've had my mk3 since the first week of October and there has been snow and ice one the ground since mid October. Mine is one of the best cars I've driven in the snow. Right behind my old Taurus but that thing was a tank. I've only turned the traction control off once because it was getting in the way. I think you might be a little heavy footed? My girlfriend was having issues at first with the car in the snow. But she was used to our old car where you had to put it to the floor just to get the sucker to move. If you're driving a mt you should gear up a little quicker once you get moving. It'll keep the tires from spinning and the traction control from kicking in. It's worked fine for me that way. And if none of that works then maybe you need to get some better rubber.

Edit: I see you drove a Sunfire before this car. So did I up until the engine quit in September. This car is way better than that was with all season on in the snow. Just my two cents
Old 12-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #34
Starfury
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86844
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Starfury Good Standing Member
My SE Sport is still doing fine on the OEM Conti's (winter #2). I am certainly getting something different after this season. They simply aren't very good tires.

At least on level roads.

The traction control definitely has to be turned-off for me to make any incline in packed snow. I just wish there were a simple switch or button to defeat the TC instead of going through the menus. Not a good thing when already driving in less-than-stellar conditions.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #35
Darth_Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104539
What I Drive: 2012,Tuxedo Black, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Darth_Focus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrigan View Post
I feel the need to make a Toronto driver joke...

But seriously. I've had my mk3 since the first week of October and there has been snow and ice one the ground since mid October. Mine is one of the best cars I've driven in the snow. Right behind my old Taurus but that thing was a tank. I've only turned the traction control off once because it was getting in the way. I think you might be a little heavy footed? My girlfriend was having issues at first with the car in the snow. But she was used to our old car where you had to put it to the floor just to get the sucker to move. If you're driving a mt you should gear up a little quicker once you get moving. It'll keep the tires from spinning and the traction control from kicking in. It's worked fine for me that way. And if none of that works then maybe you need to get some better rubber.

Edit: I see you drove a Sunfire before this car. So did I up until the engine quit in September. This car is way better than that was with all season on in the snow. Just my two cents
Lol I know where you were going with that Toronto driver joke. I can assure you, born and raised here. I know how to drive. I'll have to say it's a tire issue then. My bad. I guess they are a little to worn out. I mean it's driveable if you know what your doing, but the "Toronto drivers" will have it on the roof in a ditch in no time.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #36
cheekedave
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103448
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Silver

FF Reputation: 1 cheekedave Good Standing Member
I am good so far. Also in Toronto, drove from Milton to the East side of Toronto (404&Finch) and not a single problem. Roads were horrible, especically the 401, but I was able to change lanes doing 75+ and not one ounce of nerves going. Car felt solid.

This is on the stock 17" alum's. Very well pleased with the car.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #37
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
I've driven in snow a couple times now with my 2012 FF Ti HB with stock Conti's on the 17's and I'd say it handles the snow better than most of the small cars I've owned. We had 6 inches plus this morning and I was passing most of the other drivers and not feeling at all like I was pushing it.

Now, the worst car I ever owned for the snow was my 1989 Nissan 240SX, that was a witch in snow. OTH, it had great, no make that GREAT, dry weather handling.

Brian
Old 12-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #38
misfire

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

FF Reputation: 31 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Car has 7800 miles or near as makes no difference, but the o.e. continentals in the 215/55/R16 seem to have pretty poor snow traction as it keeps engaging the traction control at light throttle application as well as locking up the brakes and setting off the ABS seemingly well below the typical ABS thresholds on the previous cars I'd driven with ABS. (I.e. at 5-10 mph instead of just over 15).

Yesterday was the first day I'd actually driven on fallen snow deep enough to be a concern, when light/ wet flakes were falling it wasn't an issue, but on compacted snow and fresher snow its slippery and it didn't really want to track straight.

If I had to guess at the root cause of the issue would probably be the tires have no traction for snow/ slush/ etc but then again they would spin or trigger the tcs with anything approaching a quick start on dry pavement.

Even when I was very light on the throttle the TCS was kicking in immediately, and the car felt very unstable.

I was able to consistently provoke it with a heavier throttle when I wanted to test the theory, but that's not the same as the problem I was having with just 7800 miles on the tires.

I would feather the throttle and the car would jump and jolt and dart side to side, if I tried to basically drive without the throttle it would crawl, but it still didn't feel like going straight without a lot of effort.

TCS and ABS were a lot more intrusive than anything I've experienced before.

I had driven my old car over 44,000 miles including a lot of time in the snow, it lacked any abs or traction control though so I had to keep a light but steady throttle pressure and plan out my braking moves properly without killing myself. I was sorely disappointed with how unstable it felt. It seemed like the tires had zero traction most of the time.

The car which felt very planted on dry or wet pavement for the most part felt like a nervous poodle on snow/slush.

my car is the same way. yesterday was the first time i drove it in slush and snow and it was horrible! My 2010 focus with 17" kuhmo's had no issues. This 2012 SEL with the 16" continentals SUCKS!
Old 12-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #39
Merrigan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 104581
What I Drive: 2013 Black SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Merrigan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Focus View Post
Lol I know where you were going with that Toronto driver joke. I can assure you, born and raised here. I know how to drive. I'll have to say it's a tire issue then. My bad. I guess they are a little to worn out. I mean it's driveable if you know what your doing, but the "Toronto drivers" will have it on the roof in a ditch in no time.
Time to look into some new tires for it. I have some Hankooks on 17" wheels. They handle very well.

Snapped those before work.

Sent from your mom's house.
Sonics MK3 Crew #21
Old 12-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #40
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Since my 2012 has about 13K miles on it the tread should be good enough this winter and when they're worn enough to replace by the beginning of next winter I'll likely order a new set of wheels and summer tires from Tirerack then put Blizzaks on my OEM wheels for winter use.

Brian

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->