This is the worst car ive ever driven in snow - Page 14 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #131
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedComet View Post
I quietly wonder if the people with problems in the snow with the new Focus just flatfoot it everywhere...
I know I don't flat foot it everywhere, but with the traction control on and the car in drive vs manual mode it would tend to slip and spin the wheels even at very low throttle thresholds, but as soon as I switched it over to manual mode with or without turning off the traction control and tried to gear up at least 1-2 gears higher than the car wanted to be in drive it helped tremendously in restoring stability and preventing the traction control from kicking in constantly.

After the first time, which was actually the very first time driving the car on snow/ ice this past winter as I had picked the car up at the beginning of May last year it seemed quite difficult to drive on snow and ice compared to my last car, but that was becasue I wasn't used to it yet. As soon as I figured out the way the car responded best I'd had no further issues, even with the newer larger wheels and tires.

So perhaps some people have lead feet even in winter, but the car handled beautifully except on ice where you'd need studded tires to stop as quickly, but apart from that it's not an issue if you leave enough room to move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #132
1rkRAGE
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107519
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Hatch - Oxford White

FF Reputation: 1 1rkRAGE Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
^ I'm glad I specifically wanted the SEL. have no problems with tcs since learning about higher gears for winter
Old 04-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #133
wwr123
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113190
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Ti Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 1 wwr123 Good Standing Member
Hey everyone, I just got a 2013 Titanium and for some reason all the ones on the lot came with the 18 inch add-on with summer-only tires. Coming from Connecticut I know how to drive in the snow, but I was wondering if these tires are going to be a serious issue living and working in the Richmond, VA area (not much snow more than the occasional 1-3 inch storm and some icing over). Never had to drive on performance grade tires before and I am seriously worried about driving during the upcoming winter. Should I get a set of all season tires to swap out, or get a whole new set of cheaper steel rims with the all season so I can swap em' out easily every year?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #134
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 9 Joeywhat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwr123 View Post
Hey everyone, I just got a 2013 Titanium and for some reason all the ones on the lot came with the 18 inch add-on with summer-only tires. Coming from Connecticut I know how to drive in the snow, but I was wondering if these tires are going to be a serious issue living and working in the Richmond, VA area (not much snow more than the occasional 1-3 inch storm and some icing over). Never had to drive on performance grade tires before and I am seriously worried about driving during the upcoming winter. Should I get a set of all season tires to swap out, or get a whole new set of cheaper steel rims with the all season so I can swap em' out easily every year?
Why not just get some proper winter tires, especially if getting new wheels?

Here's the low-down:
- Your summer tires will suck below freezing, and will be absolutely horrid on any type of cold precipitation. If it's very cold and there's snow, it'll be like driving on glass with teflon tires. Note that they will not perform well in cold temps, regardless of precipitation on the ground. So it's a good idea to swap them in colder months regardless of how much snow there may be.
- Smaller tires are cheaper. A set of 15 or 16" tires (snows or all seasons) will be considerably cheaper then 18's to go on your current wheels.
- If you like your current wheels, why subject them to the rigors of winter weather?
- Steel wheels can be had for cheap, and there are also a number of alloys from other vehicles that fit the Mk3 Focus as well, even down to 15" diameter.
- If you do get a second set of tires, why not just winters? They will perform significantly better in snow then all seasons, and won't cost much more or less. I would only bother with all seasons if you only want to run one set of tires.

If you've never used snow tires before then give them a try. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how well they perform in very cold temps and on snow. There are very few all seasons that can even come close to that performance, and those that do cost bit more then most other all seasons.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 04-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #135
wwr123
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
Why not just get some proper winter tires, especially if getting new wheels?

Here's the low-down:
- Your summer tires will suck below freezing, and will be absolutely horrid on any type of cold precipitation. If it's very cold and there's snow, it'll be like driving on glass with teflon tires. Note that they will not perform well in cold temps, regardless of precipitation on the ground. So it's a good idea to swap them in colder months regardless of how much snow there may be.
- Smaller tires are cheaper. A set of 15 or 16" tires (snows or all seasons) will be considerably cheaper then 18's to go on your current wheels.
- If you like your current wheels, why subject them to the rigors of winter weather?
- Steel wheels can be had for cheap, and there are also a number of alloys from other vehicles that fit the Mk3 Focus as well, even down to 15" diameter.
- If you do get a second set of tires, why not just winters? They will perform significantly better in snow then all seasons, and won't cost much more or less. I would only bother with all seasons if you only want to run one set of tires.

If you've never used snow tires before then give them a try. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how well they perform in very cold temps and on snow. There are very few all seasons that can even come close to that performance, and those that do cost bit more then most other all seasons.
Awesome thanks for the suggestions, so if I drop it down to 16" wheels with snow tires I won't need any other changes to the car other than swapping em right? I plan on having the winter wheels only for about 4 months out of the year, would be good to have cheaper rims for it as well since all the salt they throw around can't be good for my new 18s. Managed to get and extra 300 out of the dealer for selling me the car with summer-only tires so that should offset the cost of new wheels a small amount.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #136
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Winter-dedicated tires are a great idea. I have 15" steel rims with 195/65R15 LRR winter tires. You won't regret it.

You may like the 16" better as the 15" wheels are kind of "rubber bandy" with all of that side wall slop if you know what I mean.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #137
gsxrboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103574
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 gsxrboy Good Standing Member
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but it bears mentioning again. There is a difference in tires from All Season to All Weather. All seasons only cover spring, summer and fall. All Weather has the Snow logo and will cover Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall. So when buying tires in an area that there might be snow, you will have to consider your choices. Performance on these tires I am sure will be a whole different debate.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gsxrboy/focus
Old 04-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #138
Cleric670
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91157
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE

FF Reputation: 1 Cleric670 Good Standing Member
When considering a second set of rims just keep in mind you will need the proper Tire Pressure Monitoring valvestems installed.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #139
wwr123
Focus Rookie

How much of a headache is this? Or can I swap for wheels without one and just ignore/mute the warning?
Old 04-09-2013, 01:03 AM   #140
thenorm
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

FF Reputation: 33 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
you can ignore it/cover the dash light.
check your insurance coverage which may require functioning tpms.
TPMS arent that expensive. search the forums and shop around.

I lol'd taht you got extra money for the summer tires. those are expensive tires, you fleeced the dealer.
i also reccomend dedicated snow tires. they're awesome.

Bookmarks & Social Networks