This is the worst car ive ever driven in snow - Page 13 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #121
Citoriplus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100455
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Citoriplus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleric670 View Post
It's a PowerShift, unfortunately doesn't have that option.
Sorry, I didn't know if that option was still available, unfortunately for you I guess it isn't.
But it may still be something that people with the regular auto transmissions can try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #122
Cleric670
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91157
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE

FF Reputation: 1 Cleric670 Good Standing Member
Quote:
But it may still be something that people with the regular auto transmissions can try.
That IS the regular auto transmission :) only other option was a 5spd manual
Old 03-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #123
Citoriplus
Focus Enthusiast

Sorry, my mistake, I was under the obviously mistaken impression that the PowerShift tranny was an option on the SEL and Ti models.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #124
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citoriplus View Post
Sorry, my mistake, I was under the obviously mistaken impression that the PowerShift tranny was an option on the SEL and Ti models.
I think where you're both confused is on the nomenclature.

Powershift is Ford's trademarked name for their dual clutch automatic transmission.

Selectshift is the manual shifting mode for the Powershift transmission in the 2012+ Ford Focus, but is also available on other Ford models even with a torque converter instead of a dry dual clutch set up.

Cars equipped with the basic powershift DCT have just a low gear range (L) after drive and a hill grade assist/ overdrive cancel switch on the gear lever.

The Selectshift equipped DCT has an (S) gear range below drive and when slotted here without touching the rocker switch the car is in Selectshift automatic (aka sport mode) and will shift through gears 1-5 up and down without intervention but will lock out of 6th gear. Press the up or down side of the toggle on the shifter while in selectshift mode to manually choose the next gear.

The car then remains in manual mode until the gear lever is shifted back into drive. You may shift back to drive at any time to get out of the manual mode and return back to the select shift automatic mode if desired.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #125
Cleric670
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91157
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE

FF Reputation: 1 Cleric670 Good Standing Member
Ahh I didn't realize there WERE two different automatics available. Thought they all had the "sport" mode
Old 03-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #126
Citoriplus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I think where you're both confused is on the nomenclature.
Well it won't be the first time, or with my record the last.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #127
Kzoo2013Focus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 111303
What I Drive: 2013, Ruby Red, Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Kzoo2013Focus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Tudor View Post
I just put on a set of the Continental ExtremeContact DWS also. At first I didn't want to pay that much for new tires, but when you're driving around with $500 deductible on your insurance and as much as any new car costs to fix now it started making a whole lot more sense. I sold the OEM's on CL with more than half the tread left. But now I'm seeing the results and am very happy with making the switch. I've been out in 4-5" snow with out any problem getting around. Of course you have to know how to drive in the stuff also. Saying that after living in Michigan for over 50 years and never have been stuck not even with a '58 VW.
I have had absolutely no problems with the stock tires driving in snow/ice and its been pretty much snowing since I bought this car a month ago. This car runs great in the snow so I don't know why others are having issues. Traction control only came on once and that was my fault for making a left turn too fast and fish tailing it, which I like to do. Don't think I've taken it out yet in over 6 inches of snow so might have to wait till next year to be certain.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #128
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Just saw the quote from 29Tudor & I had to chuckle, when I was in High School we used a '58 VW to drive around in deep snow to pack it down B4 spraying with water to make a skating rink...... You couldn't get that thing stuck unless it rode up so far on the deep snow that the wheels weren't touching any more!

(Grin)

Last edited by sailor; 03-19-2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Sp.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:34 PM   #129
cacophonous
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89165
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti & 2005 Saab 92X Aero

FF Reputation: 2 cacophonous Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Focus View Post
First snow of the year and the car was pretty much immobilized. I have Michelin Alpin snow tires and this car was pretty much stopped in an inch of snow . Could not make it up a slight grade. Got so bad I had to shut the traction control off. It's a bit of a weapon. I barely make it through an intersection before the light goes red. Not impressed.
You may want to invest in driving lessons.

My 2012 Titanium with DCT was fine with stock 17" tires and amazing with 15" Blizzaks. Not a snow beast like my Subaru's were but still amazing in snow.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #130
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
I quietly wonder if the people with problems in the snow with the new Focus just flatfoot it everywhere...
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, COBB Stg. 1
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->