This is the worst car ive ever driven in snow - Page 12 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #111
Flybigrc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103155
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Flybigrc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
MyThic3LiTe; the big difference between Edmonton and St. Louis is when you get snow in Canada they actually do something about it. You know, salt, plow, etc. in St. Louis the road dept tells everyone to stay off the roads while its snowing then and they plow at 2:00am after it stops and wait for the weather to warm up to melt it all. Its a crazy place! (I am originally from Chicago and I have never seen such incompetance in a cities' road maintenance department!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #112
Seriously Focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101141
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sport 5 Dr

Points 522, Level 10
Points: 522, Level: 10 Points: 522, Level: 10 Points: 522, Level: 10
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Seriously Focused Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
You had snow tires though, and if the tcs was engaging turning it off should theoretically mean that the wheels would sit there and spin/ slip.
Damn ! Over 5600 posts ! It's probably time for a NEW car.............
Old 03-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #113
USARice
Focus Addict

Fan#: 56127
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST, DD and AutoX

Points 2,305, Level 29
Points: 2,305, Level: 29 Points: 2,305, Level: 29 Points: 2,305, Level: 29
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 USARice Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
This is the first winter I have used snows on any car ever and I barely saw the TC light at all.... Even with the cruise set at 65 taking the barely plowed fast lane I flew by Jeeps, Hummers, and every other car crawling at 40 -50 in the plowed snow lane. Ice, snow, didn't matter. The only time the back end would even twitch was going under an overpass. Even then it was just a slight blip, enough to get my attention. The previous winters on my Conti DWS or Potenza RE92s I spent every winter staring at that blinking light and missing my Taurus. I cannot speak highly enough about the Goodyear Ultragrip Winter tires. 13/32 of tread helps too....and surprisingly enough they weren't that loud. Gas mileage went down by about 6 but I won't complain about it with the security I feel with those tires.

Sent from Gods Country
Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #114
Citoriplus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100455
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Citoriplus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybigrc View Post
I am originally from Chicago and I have never seen such incompetance in a cities' road maintenance department!
You want to see incompetence in winter snow you need to visit Baltimore or DC.
Just make sure you bring a tank to ride in.
My son grew up here in upstate NY and learned how to drive up here where it really snows.
Then spent a couple of years polishing his technique going to school in Chicago and now lives in Baltimore.
He tells me that between the idiots running the road maintenance department, the fools operating what few plows they have, and total jackasses trying to drive like they think its a sunny summer day on the street.
Its like a three ring circus of idiots.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #115
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,574, Level 65
Points: 9,574, Level: 65 Points: 9,574, Level: 65 Points: 9,574, Level: 65
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriously Focused View Post
Damn ! Over 5600 posts ! It's probably time for a NEW car.............
Why is it time for a new car? I'm not one of those who constantly complains, although for some issues I do have the right to complain based on the poor dealer service for those issues.

I would slightly like an ST now, but its not available in my car's color.

Its fun to wind it out to the max even though its got a much lower limit than the ST.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #116
Cleric670
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91157
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE

FF Reputation: 1 Cleric670 Good Standing Member
It's a shame there isn't a TCS ON/OFF button mounted on the dash somewhere like every other vehicle on this planet, navigating the menu maze to turn it off is frustrating and i FULLY AGREE that that automatic is garbage in the snow. Even feathering the gas it still engages too quickly and launch wheelspin is unavoidable thus triggering TCS which kills forward momentum. A "snow mode" option for TCS would be preferable allowing SOME wheelspin or cutting power output SLIGHTLY but not 99% like it currently does. Any REAL snow and you gotta muscle your way through anyway.

I wonder if ford even tested this vehicle in snowy conditions.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #117
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,835, Level 32
Points: 2,835, Level: 32 Points: 2,835, Level: 32 Points: 2,835, Level: 32
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleric670 View Post
It's a shame there isn't a TCS ON/OFF button mounted on the dash somewhere like every other vehicle on this planet, navigating the menu maze to turn it off is frustrating and i FULLY AGREE that that automatic is garbage in the snow. Even feathering the gas it still engages too quickly and launch wheelspin is unavoidable thus triggering TCS which kills forward momentum.
I never had issues with it last year. But this year, I ease on the gas and the wheels still spin!

This either has to do with the 12B37 update or the fact that I now have a bad clutch. That or my winter tires have gone to after 1 year.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #118
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

Points 2,564, Level 30
Points: 2,564, Level: 30 Points: 2,564, Level: 30 Points: 2,564, Level: 30
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
Had absolutely zero problems with snow or ice this winter, SE Sport, 5-speed, running the stock ContiProContact all-seasons. The only problem was getting stuck in about 3 feet of snow on the muddy part of our drive here. But, that's stick any car. If the snow's really bad, or the road very slick, 2nd gear starts with the TCS off. No sweat.

Fared much better than our friends' Outback, which was slip-sliding everywhere.
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, COBB Stg. 1
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie
Old 03-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #119
Citoriplus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100455
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Citoriplus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleric670 View Post
It's a shame there isn't a TCS ON/OFF button mounted on the dash somewhere like every other vehicle on this planet, navigating the menu maze to turn it off is frustrating and i FULLY AGREE that that automatic is garbage in the snow. Even feathering the gas it still engages too quickly and launch wheelspin is unavoidable thus triggering TCS which kills forward momentum. A "snow mode" option for TCS would be preferable allowing SOME wheelspin or cutting power output SLIGHTLY but not 99% like it currently does. Any REAL snow and you gotta muscle your way through anyway.

I wonder if ford even tested this vehicle in snowy conditions.
Years ago Ford setup the transmission valve body's so that if you put it into second gear it would start in second.
That way it killed a bunch of the torque and let you start off in slippery conditions easier.
I don't know if the newer Ford tranny's will do it because all my vehicles for the last 15 years have had sticks.
And the wife's MKZ is a hybrid with an infinitely variable chain setup instead of the usual gears.
So next time it gets slippery, try putting the tranny in 2nd and see if that helps.
Worst thing that will happen is that it starts in first, just like normal, and only goes up to second.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #120
Cleric670
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91157
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE

FF Reputation: 1 Cleric670 Good Standing Member
Quote:
So next time it gets slippery, try putting the tranny in 2nd and see if that helps.
It's a PowerShift, unfortunately doesn't have that option.

Bookmarks & Social Networks