Taking it in for yet another round of service (DCT) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
xwhit3devilx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86578
What I Drive: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo

FF Reputation: 2 xwhit3devilx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Taking it in for yet another round of service (DCT)

Hey all, it's been a while. Some may remember that I've had a lot of issues with my 2012 early on my ownership- between the engine blowing oil out the dipstick like a whale spout, the power steering rack being faulty, and the numerous times I've taken the car in for DCT issues it was not a fun time.

After I had the update 12B37 installed at around 9k (maybe it was 12k? I forget exactly) things have been much better; the car finally seemed to behave like the German car it is on the inside. A little while ago however, things started to sour up again- the DCT started to rattle and grind especially at low speeds. Once it clunked so hard the entire car shook to the point where the guy I was driving next to told me something was wrong with my car when we got to a stoplight. Luckily that's only happened once, but what really gets to me on a daily basis is the feeling that the gears aren't always fully engaged. When things are running smoothly, the engine revs freely, and every downshift gives a nice clean boost in power. When it decides to derp itself, however; it feels like a good chunk of the power is missing, and there's a slight rattle which I can only assume are the clutches messing up. A little bit of mechanical noise I expect, but what I hear and live with on a day to day basis is certainly NOT normal.

Now that I'm hearing that Ford is actually replacing some people's clutch packs with more robust ones I figured now was the time to take action. I'm hoping I don't get shrugged off again or have the issue dismissed as a "software problem". This will be the 4th or 5th time I'm taking it in for this, and my patience is growing thin. Which is a real shame too, because when this car works it's the best car I've ever driven.

I've also noticed yet another oil leak- this time around the valve cover. hope they can fix that too, though honestly it doesn't look too bad. (Shouldn't be ANY leak though on a car still under warranty)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

Points 528, Level 10
Points: 528, Level: 10 Points: 528, Level: 10 Points: 528, Level: 10
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Good luck, man.

They'll probably just reflash the TCM again. That's all they've ever done for mine. Except the one time that they replaced the clutches, and the car has had a vibration shifting into 2nd and 4th gear ever since then. And it still shifts and launches very poorly.

Again, good luck.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
xwhit3devilx
Focus Addict

Thanks, I'm really hoping it will be fixed this time, but at this point I'm not even sure it can be- it could very well just be a bad design. I sometimes wonder if it's due to the DCT being a dry clutch design, as the problem gets worse in stop and go traffic and on hot days. My hope is that the new clutches are made of a better material that can cope with the heat better.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,166, Level 34
Points: 3,166, Level: 34 Points: 3,166, Level: 34 Points: 3,166, Level: 34
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwhit3devilx View Post
...Now that I'm hearing that Ford is actually replacing some people's clutch packs with more robust ones I figured now was the time to take action...
Hi xwhit3devilx,

I'm happy to get your case escalated to your regional customer service manager so they can help. Send me your VIN, mileage, preferred servicing dealer, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get your info into the right hands.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 03-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
xwhit3devilx
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi xwhit3devilx,

I'm happy to get your case escalated to your regional customer service manager so they can help. Send me your VIN, mileage, preferred servicing dealer, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get your info into the right hands.

Crystal
Thanks!
Old 03-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Lemon

Points 2,284, Level 28
Points: 2,284, Level: 28 Points: 2,284, Level: 28 Points: 2,284, Level: 28
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 0 Tubeway Army Newbie
I have a 2013 built last month ..same DCT issues...if they made any improvements..then they surely did not implement them in the production line at Wayne.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using FF Mobile
Old 03-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
xwhit3devilx
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeway Army View Post
I have a 2013 built last month ..same DCT issues...if they made any improvements..then they surely did not implement them in the production line at Wayne.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using FF Mobile
How many miles are on your Focus? Hopefully the issues you're having are due to your car not being "broken in" yet. As messed up as the DCT in mine is now it was way worse before 4k or so.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Points 2,284, Level 28
Level Up 90% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwhit3devilx View Post
How many miles are on your Focus? Hopefully the issues you're having are due to your car not being "broken in" yet. As messed up as the DCT in mine is now it was way worse before 4k or so.
I just passed 850 or so this evening on the way home from work, still grinding and shifting odd, the only way to live with it for now is to turn on Pandora and try to forget about it. I am giving it time to "break-in" but my patience is running thin.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
cappa
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85229
What I Drive: 2000 VW Golf / 2012 Ford Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 cappa Good Standing Member
Week #3 and my car is still at the dealership waiting for a "back-ordered new transmission and clutch assembly."

I am not going to run down a list of what issues I have had with this car(as I've discussed that in length in previous posts and I'll just be to frustrated to list them all again lol) but my car has easily been at the dealership for over a total of 30 days in the past two years for non regular maintence related work.

The dealership has been relatively good with getting work done in time and communicating but it seems that now that I have pursued the legal route the processes have slowed down significant both with Ford customer service and the dealershhip(in terms of communication anyways).

I won't go into more details because I don't think I should but I've had this car more time in the dealership than I've actually driven it.
I really hope Ford takes care of future customers because unfortunately it's losing alot of current ones as myself and again as I've stated numerous amount of times. I love this car, I really do it's unfortunate though I've been able to enjoy it because of all the problems it's had.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Points 2,284, Level 28
Level Up 90% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappa View Post
Week #3 and my car is still at the dealership waiting for a "back-ordered new transmission and clutch assembly."

I am not going to run down a list of what issues I have had with this car(as I've discussed that in length in previous posts and I'll just be to frustrated to list them all again lol) but my car has easily been at the dealership for over a total of 30 days in the past two years for non regular maintence related work.

The dealership has been relatively good with getting work done in time and communicating but it seems that now that I have pursued the legal route the processes have slowed down significant both with Ford customer service and the dealershhip(in terms of communication anyways).

I won't go into more details because I don't think I should but I've had this car more time in the dealership than I've actually driven it.
I really hope Ford takes care of future customers because unfortunately it's losing alot of current ones as myself and again as I've stated numerous amount of times. I love this car, I really do it's unfortunate though I've been able to enjoy it because of all the problems it's had.
Sorry to hear about your dilemma, not a good feeling. I hope you get it resolved either fixed or let the lemon law take care of it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.