My 2012 sonic blue focus S revival! - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
Armenian22
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117282
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 Armenian22 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My 2012 sonic blue focus S revival!

Hey everyone!! Still somewhat new to these forums having bought my MK3 focus in august, so I wanted to share my experience with it. Unlike most people on here though, I couldn't afford getting one from the dealer so I opted to go the typical Russian way and find one on copart. :) after searching for a while I came across this one in new mexico (I live in Sacramento). Didn't know much about the focus when bidding on it (nothing about the DCT, and had no clue that the "S" was the base model. Which really sucked finding out later). Won the car for $5300 off copart.

Since the car is sonic blue, I didn't see all the dings and scratches all over the car on the auction photos (it was evident the previous owner ran off the road and into a field of some sort, probably into heavy brush). Because of all this I had to have the majority of the car bondoed and painted (minus trunk and roof). This whole revival project took quite some time and effort. Here are some photos when I just got it and start taking off damaged parts. (Note: bumper cover, passenger headlight, grille all taken off in most photos)

Sent from my SM-N900T using FF Mobile

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
Armenian22
Focus Enthusiast

Since there was no frame damage to the car (fender was crumpled and absorbed most of the damage) most of the work consisted of just buying new suspension parts and replacing the bad ones. After buying a new tie rod, sway link, control arm, half axle boot, tie rod mount, wheel and tire, I was able to already drive the car (though it looked terrible). Its at this point where I would stumble across Focus Fanatics. In one photo you can see, the half axle came out of the socket completely (it wasnt damaged, just had to be put back in). When it did come out though during the accident, it hit the turbine speed sensor on the DCT, which for some reason is a mere 6 inches right about it. It broke the sensor, which caused the ECU to throw a "transmission malfunction code". When I was trying to figure out the problem, through google I came across this forum and started slowly to find out about this "dct nightmare" other owners were having. Since the sensor was broken, it was causing the transmission to exhibit same symptoms and others were having when their transmissions were having issues. During my test runs the car couldnt get past third gear and 30 mph. Naturally this scared the living "stuff" out of me. After a week of being down and upset and I finally stumbled across the broken sensor dangling from the transmission. Replaced and it just like that, car was running smooth and trouble free.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
1slofofo
Adam

Fan#: 92422
What I Drive: Mk3

FF Reputation: 6 1slofofo Good Standing Member
Nice progress, can't wait to see it finished!
Old 11-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
Armenian22
Focus Enthusiast

Shorty after I gave it up to a body shop for all the body and paint work to be done. The guy who was fixing it couldn't save my original bumper cover since the scratches on it were too deep and wide. Thinking I was going to have to buy a $250 bumper (cheapest one I found before that) I left the body shop to go get one. Before getting into the car, the body guy yells to me that there is a "bumpers warehouse" down the street. I went there to check it out, which it turned out to be a huge property with a hundres if not thousands of bumpers off cars. Came in and asked if they had one for a 2012 focus, and was told no. When walking out, a guy who worked outside at this warehouse (barely speaks 2 words of English walks and says "you bumper?" I was carrying mine at the time and said no. He looked at my bumper and raised his finger and left. Came back 10 min later with a 2012 bumper like mine but grey. Scratch free and undamaged. My jaw nearly hit the ground when he walked up with it and said "$40". I paid and left frantically before he realized what he had! Without a doubt God sent that bumper my way seeing how badly I needed it and didn't have much money for it. Huge blessing!!

Old 11-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
Armenian22
Focus Enthusiast

Now, 3 months later, and after soooo much stress. Its finally done! Coming in at a (completely blew my budget with all the unexpected) whopping $11k. My original estimate put it at $9k tops, but that estimate quickly went out the window. No regrets though. Since all 4 door panels had to be removed for the body guy to knock out dents in the door, I took the chance to toss out the stock speakers and upgrade to polk audio ones for $150. Night and day difference with the change. Loving it so far though. Hoping the car stays trouble free and the DCT remains trouble free. Otherwise I love it! Here are some photos of it finished!

Old 11-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
Armenian22
Focus Enthusiast

Old 11-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
Gav-O-SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113561
What I Drive: '02 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 5 Gav-O-SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Wow, what a difference... Glad to see another Nor-Cal Fanatic! We are few... Lol, car looks great man, congrats.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:41 AM   #8
Armenian22
Focus Enthusiast

Haha yeah! Its been quite the project... I honestly didn't like the focus until this new body style came along. Glad to be an owner now!

Old 11-15-2013, 12:58 AM   #9
BeepBeep2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119597
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 BeepBeep2 Good Standing Member
What a cool story!
Old 11-15-2013, 01:12 AM   #10
Gav-O-SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113561
What I Drive: '02 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 5 Gav-O-SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armenian22 View Post
Haha yeah! Its been quite the project... I honestly didn't like the focus until this new body style came along. Glad to be an owner now!

Honestly I was never a focus fan either until I came across my SVT. Now I would'nt trade it for anything...

Bookmarks & Social Networks