Tax Return upgrades?? Need Info!! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
ErikJames04SVT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104253
What I Drive: 04' Black/Red Focus SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 ErikJames04SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation Tax Return upgrades?? Need Info!!

I have been looking since i bought my 04 Focus SVT for stuff to throw on the beast since i bought it in Spetember and figure this may be the last tax decent tax return for a long time so i'm going to spend it on the focus and make it BA. Just curious what people opinions on some of this stuff is before i go GungHo and get stuck with something that doesnt fit.

1. Suspension - is flat out shot!
-Ford dealer wants $250ish for front struts alone.
-Summit Racing has a Ford Racing Suspension kit $300 (1.5 drop and front/rear shocks and springs) BUT would it fit my SVT like it says?? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fm...rd/model/focus

2. Disc brakes - Getting worn. I have done some research on here and found that drilled/slotted arent necessary but i want them for asthetics, any suggestions or any brands to avoid??

3. Brake lines - I have a leak somewhere up front smells like brake fluid. Do the Stainless steel brake line kits make much difference or are they mainly an appearance thing as well?? http://www.steedafocus.com/parts/for...ake-lines.html

4. Tuner - What works the best? I have found SCT tuners are the most common but the DiabloSport Predator is what i am leaning towards.http://www.tricktuners.com/cgi/comme...y=DIABLO_U7144

5. Intake - My stock intake is all busted, beat up, and sucking in a lot of hot air off the motor (bought it that way).
I was going to go with K&N, (not the short one that puts the filter in stock location) but if anyone knows or has another brand on their car I'd like to hear about it! Or if you have any other ideas for me i'd like to hear them!!

Old 12-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
Jaketet
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104337
What I Drive: 2004 Infra Red SVT 3-door #23

FF Reputation: 1 Jaketet Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm pretty sure that suspension kit you linked is the kit that comes on the SVT from the factory, it says .5 inch drop, which is what the SVT is over the normal ZX3. But if your shocks/struts are shot then it wouldn't be a bad idea getting new ones.

Rotors, I've been looking into as well and I see many people suggest Centric rotors. Brake lines I don't know much about.

A tune? Talk to Turbo Tom (username: 1turbofocus) I'm pretty sure he uses the Predator

Intakes, K&N or AEM are two common brands, a lot of SVT owners simply get an aftermarket panel filter for increased air flow in the stock air box

Hope this helps you decide what to do.
#23 of 1978
Old 12-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
ErikJames04SVT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thanks it does help! The suspension is what I was most curious about, I know mine sits pretty low with the worn or supsension and all and I didnt want it to drop another .5 inch if it wasnt lowered from the factory. I have enough rubbing going on up front as it is...

I would use a panel filter after all of the research i've done on here about intakes and such but my air box is all busted up and the snorkel sits about 2 inches below the bottom of the airbox so i'm sure its sucking a lot of hot air off the motor.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Insaniac
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34327
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 5 Insaniac Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I don't know where you stand with your timing belt but if you haven't replaced it or don't know when it was last replaced I would put that high on your list. With the SVT engine being an interference engine, if the timing belt snaps or jumps teeth your valves will slam down into the pistons and blow your engine.

The first thing my tax return is buying is a timing belt replacement on my SVT.
2003 ZX5 SVT #1345
CD Silver; Red Interior; Audiophile; Moonroof; HID's
Old 12-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
1. Tom's Tune
2. AEM Intake if you can't find a Volant
3. If you like your current suspension set up all the Ford Racing will do is replace with the same basically. You could go coil over.
4. Check out Tire Rack for brake stuff. I've had good luck with PowerSlot rotors. Some HP or HP+ pads would work well.
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 12-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
ErikJames04SVT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Yeah interference engines should be a cuss word!(IMO) I have been trying to get ahold of the Dealership i bought the car from to see if they did anything with the timing belt before they sold it to me since it was about to roll 100k (97k when i bought it) they showed me receipts(2 pages with 5 or 6 things on each) from arms length away and then stuffed it back in the file. Thinking that and the dog bone will be added to the list depending on what i find out.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
ErikJames04SVT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Sonic we need to get together and discuss because your local help would be awesome!!
Old 12-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
I'm thinking Coffee & Foci maybe Sunday morning?
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 12-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
ErikJames04SVT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Sounds like a plan!

Bookmarks & Social Networks