2012 Focus random acceleration - very scary! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
Northbound
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107891
What I Drive: 1012 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Northbound Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 Focus random acceleration - very scary!

I had not one, but 3 instances of random acceleration with my 2012 Ford Focus happen to me yesterday while driving home. Each time was driving on an 80km/hr road using cruise control set at 80km/hr and approaching an intersection. I would tap on the brakes to disengage the cruise control and let the car drift as I was approaching the intersection. As I approached the intersection I applied brakes normally until I slowed to a stop at the intersection.

Just as the car stopped, the engine rev would jump to about 4000rpm and the Focus would attempt to jump into the intersection. I had to stand on the brakes with all my might to stop the car from leaping ahead. The engine continued to rev while I stood on the brakes until I put the transmission in Park and which point the engine revs dropped to idle. The third time it happened the passenger compartment filled with the smell of something burning badly.

Once I got home and shut down the engine and restarted, the problem appeared to go away.

Has this happened to anyone else? It was extremely scary and dangerous and I hesitate to let my wife or son drive the car now as I'm afraid this problem may come back at any time.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
Indy'sexclusiveZx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 65419
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black st

FF Reputation: 7 Indy'sexclusiveZx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Bad clutches in your trans take it to the dealer
Old 12-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

FF Reputation: 9 valmundo Good Standing Member
I think its because you drive a 1012 Focus...That's a really old car! LOL.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
pjart
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99244
What I Drive: 2012 SE Red Candy Metallic CC hatch

FF Reputation: 1 pjart Good Standing Member
Exact same thing happened to me on my birthday (luck). Revved up to 4500 rpm in Cruze Control and lurched and didn't want to stop revving. To Ford dealer and they said no problem after they looked it up in OASIS (some computer service program). Computer said no prob so they did too.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
erato
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97294
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Ti Ecoboost estate

FF Reputation: 1 erato Good Standing Member
You have a Cruze control in your Focus?

No wonder things go astray.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
chaimav
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91850
What I Drive: Sterling Gray 2012 SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 chaimav Good Standing Member
This is a safety issue and should be reported https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm or whatever the Canadian equivilent is
Old 12-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjart View Post
Exact same thing happened to me on my birthday (luck). Revved up to 4500 rpm in Cruze Control and lurched and didn't want to stop revving. To Ford dealer and they said no problem after they looked it up in OASIS (some computer service program). Computer said no prob so they did too.
OASIS is Fords database for warranty tracking and vehicle identification, its tied into the service documentation and records. If the car recorded no unusual spikes in activity or if the short term memory isn't long enough to document the issue except in the event of a crash and it doesn't record a DTC there wasn't much they could go on.

Most cases of unexpected/ unintended acceleration stem not from the car however so that also tends to make it less believable when brought up as a service item.

However the brakes should always easily overpower the engine so long as you don't panic and start pumping them and destroy the reserved engine vacuum by using it up in a panic. If something does happen shift to neutral and push the brake pedal down firmly until the car comes to a complete stop.

Or alternatively with the brake over accelerator feature depress the gas at the same time as the brakes and the car should kill the throttle when the brake is firmly applied at the same time. If not then something is wrong with the car.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
I use cruise all the time. I would never leave the system in cruise to come to a stop!!
Yeah if you just tap on the brakes in traffic.. and then resume. but a complete stop is over abuse of the cruise system IMO.
Maybe i am just less trusting of a cruise control system, but really.. a complete stop while the cruise is engaged is asking for trouble.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
I use cruise all the time. I would never leave the system in cruise to come to a stop!!
Yeah if you just tap on the brakes in traffic.. and then resume. but a complete stop is over abuse of the cruise system IMO.
Maybe i am just less trusting of a cruise control system, but really.. a complete stop while the cruise is engaged is asking for trouble.
Cruise control is supposed to cancel as soon as your foot touches the brake pedal. Doesn't yours? This in no way should constitute abuse of the cruise control system.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Cruise control will not engage below a certain speed threshold (or shouldn't anyway).
If it does, that would constitute a serious safety issue.

Bookmarks & Social Networks