Focus SEL to Focus ST - Should I? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current)

Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current) The place to chat about the 2.0L EcoBoost engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
Dialed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100454
What I Drive: '12 Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dialed Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Focus SEL to Focus ST - Should I?

I've owned my SEL for coming up on a year now. I was pretty confident based on what I was reading that a tune would be available eventually but that clearly isn't happening anymore and I'm just not satisfied with the power I'm getting out of my Focus currently. I love the car, absolutely love it, but want more power plain and simple. I like to go out driving a lot and live in an area with a lot of safe reasonable options and well, you get the idea.

My question, having $5000 to put down on an ST, should I re-finance and do the upgrade? I would wait for a 0% financing incentive to come along again, and would be aiming to keep my payments around the same, but when I consider I want to put a nice set of wheels on my current focus, drop it, change the suspension, I'm already looking at spending a ton of money just to get a little closer to what I want.

What do you guys think? Did anyone here do the upgrade? How was the experience for you?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
If the ST is everything you want to have added to your SEL, then HELL Yes!
If the price difference is not going to kill you, then go for it.
When I had a Mercury Mystique and wanted a Contour SVT, i did it as soon as i could. Never had a problem with the cost. it was well worth it.
Now, after having that SVT for 13 years.. and getting old, I am ready to drive normally.
But the fun i had with the Contour SVT was wonderful andwell worth the price of admission.
If you like to drive fast in some twisties.. then go for the ST, and never look back.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
1slofofo
Adam

Fan#: 92422
What I Drive: Mk3

FF Reputation: 6 1slofofo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialed View Post
I've owned my SEL for coming up on a year now. I was pretty confident based on what I was reading that a tune would be available eventually but that clearly isn't happening anymore and I'm just not satisfied with the power I'm getting out of my Focus currently. I love the car, absolutely love it, but want more power plain and simple. I like to go out driving a lot and live in an area with a lot of safe reasonable options and well, you get the idea.

My question, having $5000 to put down on an ST, should I re-finance and do the upgrade? I would wait for a 0% financing incentive to come along again, and would be aiming to keep my payments around the same, but when I consider I want to put a nice set of wheels on my current focus, drop it, change the suspension, I'm already looking at spending a ton of money just to get a little closer to what I want.

What do you guys think? Did anyone here do the upgrade? How was the experience for you?
If your mods are close enough to the added cost, and it's not living up to what you expect, go for it. Shouldn't have to settle something you spend hours in daily/weekly.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
StingRay
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67421
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver ST

FF Reputation: 4 StingRay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I would say yes, but I'm a bit biased lol
Old 03-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
This shouldn't even be a question. Get the ST.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Dialed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100454
What I Drive: '12 Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dialed Good Standing Member
Hahaha. Loving the encouragement and enthusiasm. Hopefully I will be joining the club in the coming months. We'll see.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Hahaha. Loving the encouragement and enthusiasm. Hopefully I will be joining the club in the coming months. We'll see.
Idk, I'm ok with the power levels, but I do like the look of the front of the ST better, so I may have to "borrow" it on a color that never was an actual ST.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Quote:

You talked your self into it= Go for it!
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 03-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
If the ST is everything you want to have added to your SEL, then HELL Yes!
If the price difference is not going to kill you, then go for it.
When I had a Mercury Mystique and wanted a Contour SVT, i did it as soon as i could. Never had a problem with the cost. it was well worth it.
>>>>Now, after having that SVT for 13 years.. and getting old, I am ready to drive normally.<<<<
But the fun i had with the Contour SVT was wonderful andwell worth the price of admission.
If you like to drive fast in some twisties.. then go for the ST, and never look back.
Whats that mean? You can't be older & have a SVT & drive normally? What=
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 03-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:

Can you get one for a few grand off of MSRP?

Bookmarks & Social Networks