Focus SEL to Focus ST - Should I? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current)

Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current) The place to chat about the 2.0L EcoBoost engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
Dialed
Focus Enthusiast
 
Dialed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 100454
Location: Kelowna, Canada
What I Drive: '12 Black Focus SEL

Posts: 147
FF Reputation: 1 Dialed Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Focus SEL to Focus ST - Should I?

I've owned my SEL for coming up on a year now. I was pretty confident based on what I was reading that a tune would be available eventually but that clearly isn't happening anymore and I'm just not satisfied with the power I'm getting out of my Focus currently. I love the car, absolutely love it, but want more power plain and simple. I like to go out driving a lot and live in an area with a lot of safe reasonable options and well, you get the idea.

My question, having $5000 to put down on an ST, should I re-finance and do the upgrade? I would wait for a 0% financing incentive to come along again, and would be aiming to keep my payments around the same, but when I consider I want to put a nice set of wheels on my current focus, drop it, change the suspension, I'm already looking at spending a ton of money just to get a little closer to what I want.

What do you guys think? Did anyone here do the upgrade? How was the experience for you?


Dialed is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic
 
Elizabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Fan#: 89280
Location: SouthEast, WI
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

Posts: 2,697
FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If the ST is everything you want to have added to your SEL, then HELL Yes!
If the price difference is not going to kill you, then go for it.
When I had a Mercury Mystique and wanted a Contour SVT, i did it as soon as i could. Never had a problem with the cost. it was well worth it.
Now, after having that SVT for 13 years.. and getting old, I am ready to drive normally.
But the fun i had with the Contour SVT was wonderful andwell worth the price of admission.
If you like to drive fast in some twisties.. then go for the ST, and never look back.
Elizabeth is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
1slofofo
Adam
 
1slofofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Fan#: 92422
Location: Chicago, IL
What I Drive: Mk3

Posts: 1,986
FF Reputation: 6 1slofofo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialed View Post
I've owned my SEL for coming up on a year now. I was pretty confident based on what I was reading that a tune would be available eventually but that clearly isn't happening anymore and I'm just not satisfied with the power I'm getting out of my Focus currently. I love the car, absolutely love it, but want more power plain and simple. I like to go out driving a lot and live in an area with a lot of safe reasonable options and well, you get the idea.

My question, having $5000 to put down on an ST, should I re-finance and do the upgrade? I would wait for a 0% financing incentive to come along again, and would be aiming to keep my payments around the same, but when I consider I want to put a nice set of wheels on my current focus, drop it, change the suspension, I'm already looking at spending a ton of money just to get a little closer to what I want.

What do you guys think? Did anyone here do the upgrade? How was the experience for you?
If your mods are close enough to the added cost, and it's not living up to what you expect, go for it. Shouldn't have to settle something you spend hours in daily/weekly.
__________________
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
1slofofo is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
StingRay
Focus Fanatic
 
StingRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Fan#: 67421
Location: Phoenix, AZ
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver ST

Posts: 2,205
FF Reputation: 4 StingRay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I would say yes, but I'm a bit biased lol
StingRay is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
macdiesel
I used to drive this
 
macdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Fan#: 31579
Location: Chicago, IL
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

Posts: 3,309
FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
This shouldn't even be a question. Get the ST.
__________________
I now drive a Japanese Ford.
macdiesel is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Dialed
Focus Enthusiast
 
Dialed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 100454
Location: Kelowna, Canada
What I Drive: '12 Black Focus SEL

Posts: 147
FF Reputation: 1 Dialed Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hahaha. Loving the encouragement and enthusiasm. Hopefully I will be joining the club in the coming months. We'll see.
Dialed is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,120
FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialed View Post
Hahaha. Loving the encouragement and enthusiasm. Hopefully I will be joining the club in the coming months. We'll see.
Idk, I'm ok with the power levels, but I do like the look of the front of the ST better, so I may have to "borrow" it on a color that never was an actual ST.
__________________
Moderator for: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus
suss6052 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic
 
felixthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Fan#: 80663
Location: Renton, WA
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Posts: 7,994
FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialed View Post
I've owned my SEL for coming up on a year now. I was pretty confident based on what I was reading that a tune would be available eventually but that clearly isn't happening anymore and I'm just not satisfied with the power I'm getting out of my Focus currently. I love the car, absolutely love it, but want more power plain and simple. I like to go out driving a lot and live in an area with a lot of safe reasonable options and well, you get the idea.

My question, having $5000 to put down on an ST, should I re-finance and do the upgrade? I would wait for a 0% financing incentive to come along again, and would be aiming to keep my payments around the same, but when I consider I want to put a nice set of wheels on my current focus, drop it, change the suspension, I'm already looking at spending a ton of money just to get a little closer to what I want.

What do you guys think? Did anyone here do the upgrade? How was the experience for you?
You talked your self into it= Go for it!
__________________
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
felixthecat is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic
 
felixthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Fan#: 80663
Location: Renton, WA
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Posts: 7,994
FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
If the ST is everything you want to have added to your SEL, then HELL Yes!
If the price difference is not going to kill you, then go for it.
When I had a Mercury Mystique and wanted a Contour SVT, i did it as soon as i could. Never had a problem with the cost. it was well worth it.
>>>>Now, after having that SVT for 13 years.. and getting old, I am ready to drive normally.<<<<
But the fun i had with the Contour SVT was wonderful andwell worth the price of admission.
If you like to drive fast in some twisties.. then go for the ST, and never look back.
Whats that mean? You can't be older & have a SVT & drive normally? What=
__________________
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
felixthecat is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88299
Location: Torrance, CA
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Posts: 2,841
FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialed View Post
I've owned my SEL for coming up on a year now. I was pretty confident based on what I was reading that a tune would be available eventually but that clearly isn't happening anymore and I'm just not satisfied with the power I'm getting out of my Focus currently. I love the car, absolutely love it, but want more power plain and simple. I like to go out driving a lot and live in an area with a lot of safe reasonable options and well, you get the idea.

My question, having $5000 to put down on an ST, should I re-finance and do the upgrade? I would wait for a 0% financing incentive to come along again, and would be aiming to keep my payments around the same, but when I consider I want to put a nice set of wheels on my current focus, drop it, change the suspension, I'm already looking at spending a ton of money just to get a little closer to what I want.

What do you guys think? Did anyone here do the upgrade? How was the experience for you?
Can you get one for a few grand off of MSRP?
__________________
I am Kabigon and I approve this message.
Kabigon is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.