Metra 99-5827B Modification and You: An Illustrated Primer (2012-2013 Focus Tablet Mount) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
mrpeaches
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103895
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 mrpeaches Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Metra 99-5827B Modification and You: An Illustrated Primer (2012-2013 Focus Tablet Mount)

Intro:
Hey everyone! Iíve been wanting to write this up for a while now, but I havenít had the time. Hope it helps someone!

The Metra 99-5827B is a neat piece of kit for those of us who like to augment the systems of our 2012-13 Focuses. However, the bottom opening of the face plate only allows us to install a double-din sized piece of electronics.

I wanted to go bigger, so I figured why not try for mounting a full size 10Ē android tablet in the dash for navigation and other uses? The following is how I modified my car and Metra 99-5827B to allow mounting of a 10Ē android tablet.

Tools and Supplies Needed:
Metra 99-5827B:

Tf700 10" Android Tablet:

Tf700 Car Adapter:

Metal Mesh:

ABS Plastic Sheet:

ABS Glue:

High-Grit Sandpaper:

12v Auxiliary Power Outlet (optional):

Also, a dremel or some other method of cutting for the faceplate and other pieces. I used some wood pieces and industrial Velcro to physically mount the tablet inside the dash. Also pick up an add-a-fuse to tap into the fuse box for ignition switched power and some silver spray paint (for the metal mesh) and some black spray paint and primer (for the face plate). I also made good use of a file for some of the rougher sanding work that was needed to shape the new face plate. Finally, get some super glue for gluing the metal parts to the face plate at the end.

Walk Through:
Using a cutting wheel on my dremel, I made the following cuts to my Metra 99-5827B:

After that, I cut out some pieces on the ABS plastic sheets and used the ABS glue to fuse them to the remnants of the face plate (sorry I didnít get more pictures of this process):

After a lot of gluing plastics together, filing, sanding, and a couple coats of primer, I was left with this:

I then set to work spray painting the face plate a matte black and sanding with the high grit number sand paper. It took about 4-5 coats of paint for me to be happy with the results. Unfortunately, I forgot to get pictures of this process.

I spray painted the metal mesh grilles with the silver spray paint to match the other silver in my interior trim. Here is how they looked (with one part already cut out):

Next I took the double din mounting plastics from the metra kit and screwed a piece of wood in between them. On this wood is some industrial strength Velcro that is also adhered to the back of the tablet for mounting. In the picture you can see the wood tabs that I fabricated for the screen because I am leaving the stock radio in place (mounted vertically) behind the double din plastics:

Finally I glued the cut out metal mesh parts to the back of the face plate and mounted the tablet for the final bit that you see here:

Conclusion:
This was mostly a weekend project, and it took a fair amount of time. However, I am a big fan of it in day to day use. It is fantastic driving around with the CoPilot app for Android and having a 10Ē navigation screen to guide me on trips. I also have a Bluetooth OBD-II adapter that I use the Torque app to have a large custom dashboard on the center screen if I want.

The stock radio screen can be seen by the tabletís camera, so if I want to use the radio I just launch the tabletís camera app and I can use the stock radio like normal.

Iím happy to answer any questions from anyone looking to do something similar! Hope this is helpful for someone also interested in adding something extra to their Focus!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 05:20 AM   #2
Gav-O-SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113561
What I Drive: '02 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 6 Gav-O-SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Nice job! I love to see the diff mods everyone comes up with, good idea. Thats cool how the camera can see the radio. Now did u mean for that to happen or was it just luck? Haha... Anyways, looks good man!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
mrpeaches
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103895
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 mrpeaches Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav-O-SVT View Post
Nice job! I love to see the diff mods everyone comes up with, good idea. Thats cool how the camera can see the radio. Now did u mean for that to happen or was it just luck? Haha... Anyways, looks good man!
Thanks! I had planned for that to happen. Since I wanted to leave the stock Sync system in the car, I had to figure out some way of still being able to control the stock system. I figured that the camera of the tablet would be up to it and that ended up being true.

However, it was a little more work than that because I had to make those shims to scoot the camera back further in the dash in order to get the tablet camera to be able to see all of the screen.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
Jeffrosilver07
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104592
What I Drive: 2007 Silver Focus SE

FF Reputation: 3 Jeffrosilver07 Good Standing Member
Excellent molding job man. The kit looks really good and it turned out great.

Bookmarks & Social Networks