SVT-non SVT Axle shafts- all the same - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
DLQ001
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80230
What I Drive: 2002 Silver Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 DLQ001 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SVT-non SVT Axle shafts- all the same

I've looked but cant find any info on the number of splines on the axle shafts for the Getrag MT285, are the axles the same for the MTX-75 and the MT285? Ebay sellers say they are all the same, but I suspect that they might not be.

Where can I find a new axles shaft assembly for the 02 SVT and be sure that its the right one?

Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
vaboom123
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73667
What I Drive: 2003 Euro Highlighter

FF Reputation: 1 vaboom123 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You could look on Rock Auto (they have them in stock sometimes) or call up Steve and Tousley Ford in Minnesota. He's very knowledgeable with svt focus parts. I believe the axles are specific to the svt.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
vaboom123
Focus Enthusiast

I also noticed your in the FL. C-F-M is located in Florida and carries the axles for the svt.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
DLQ001
Focus Enthusiast

I thought the axles were specific to the SVT too, just like everyting else... LoL
Advance Auto Parts, among others, list parts to be the same between the SVT and Ztec, ect.
A new one at Rock Auto is $232, rebuilt is $80 + 50 for the core. Tousley Ford gets $220 so thats a no brainer!

Afvance Auto is $100, but is it the right one? If I could find the number of splines, that would help me decide. However the 1 review for Advance Auto Parts dosent sound good at all. To quote:
Comments about GSP New CV Axle Shaft Assembly:
This cv is not new, they used a OEM cv, chopped it and welded it to some othe cv and they sell it as a new cv, I was very disappointed with it, even worst when we found out it was about an 1/8" longer so the transmission was leaking, I'm not recommending this item to anyone.To late to ask for a refund since we threw it in the dumpsterafter [...]
Bottom Line No, I would not recommend this to a friend
Old 03-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
thehubster
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46763
What I Drive: 2002 Blue Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 2 thehubster Good Standing Member
they are not the same!! the MTX-75 is different from the MT-285 in our cars. its not the spines that are different to my knowledge. i do know that the length of the spline shaft is different. i couldn't find anywhere that sold the one for our cars.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
bmylez
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 64637
What I Drive: 2003 350Z Track

FF Reputation: 23 bmylez Great Standing Member
A little misinformation being thrown around.

1. Spline count is different on the transmission side of the SVT axles. The splines are the same on the hub side. It's why you can run SVT knuckles on a regular Focus.

2. I got the driver side axle from O'Reilly Auto but it looks like they've unfortunately stopped selling it. I got the passenger side from Advance Auto online: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...1370368013____

Autozone has the driver side: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-jhcovZ6o2dc
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 GT - cursed
2003 350Z Track - basically stock, and it runs
Old 03-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
DLQ001
Focus Enthusiast

You didnt have any problems with the passenger side axle? The 1 review for it on Advance's page didnt sound all that good?
Old 03-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
94Cobra
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79311
What I Drive: '04 Pitch Black 5dr SVT eap bld #99

FF Reputation: 2 94Cobra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLQ001 View Post
I've looked but cant find any info on the number of splines on the axle shafts for the Getrag MT285, are the axles the same for the MTX-75 and the MT285? Ebay sellers say they are all the same, but I suspect that they might not be.
Me too.

I changed mine in OCT. Only one place told me that they were interchangeable (Autozone), all other shops said otherwise. I bought mine at RockAuto.com for $116, no core (pass. side). It was in stock and shipped right away. In this case, right away still took 2 days to arrive. They are not always in stock. Also, some sources show a rebuild with a core trade for like $60. Some of these services with show up in parts searches on RockAuto btw. Also, check with OreillyAuto.com and NAPAonline.com. I'd stay away from Auto Zone and EBay on this one.

Motorcraft sells them brand new for around $250 ea.

Also, see if the axle rebuilder that supplies your local auto parts will take yours and rebuild it. The only real difficulty in getting these is the small number of cores available. The internals of the shaft are common parts. these rebuilders are frequently less than an hours drive from your auto parts store and will be done the next day.

When I changed mine, I was surprised to see the axle was beefier than the same axle on my son's V6 Cougar (we had changed that 2 months earlier). For that reason alone, I'd need to see a diagram with shaft and bearings sizes as well a splines before putting something non-SVT in such a critical place in the drive train. But, maybe I'm just too anal about this. I just want to be sure when cruising the rural county roads and I am hanging a hard turn at 45 mph my axles are going to be hanging in there with me.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #9
vaboom123
Focus Enthusiast

I'd probably stick with an oem unit, but that's just me. I've had good and bad luck with aftermarket cv shafts. I looked at napa one time for my old svt, and they listed them. The bummer was like bmylez stated they don't sell it anymore. Good luck with everything
Old 03-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
bmylez
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 64637
What I Drive: 2003 350Z Track

FF Reputation: 23 bmylez Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLQ001 View Post
You didnt have any problems with the passenger side axle? The 1 review for it on Advance's page didnt sound all that good?
Rock Auto has a better rep. I didn't think of it at the time, but if I had to do it over again, I'd go with them.
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 GT - cursed
2003 350Z Track - basically stock, and it runs

Bookmarks & Social Networks