Engine runs like crap and battery lights on - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
swagfocuswagon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103591
What I Drive: '00 Focus wagon, 96 Cutlass Supreme

FF Reputation: 1 swagfocuswagon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Engine runs like crap and battery lights on

Hey guys!

Well my 2000 SE wagon has been having this idling problem and the power is..well not there unless I floor it. When I start it up it will run so ruff it will some times stall out or will barely run for a few seconds then it will pick back up. If you give it a little throttle to keep it from dying it will pick up but as soon as you let off it will still run bad for a few seconds then will run kinda ruff but not to bad. Also, the exhaust note is I feel not right (makes a tutututututututut sound if that makes any sense I'm sure it doesn't but I tried lol) and the battery light comes on after a few seconds despite having an alternator that tested out good and cleaning as many body grounds I can find with out completely tearing the whole vehicle apart. The only one I have not checked is the one that looks like its going to the starter. Also if you turn any accessories on (like head lights or blower motor) the engine speed drops.

Any imput is appreciated!

Thanks
Patrick!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
jlawlax1344
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99464
What I Drive: 2003-CD Silver-SPI-5spd

FF Reputation: 1 jlawlax1344 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
My 03 sedan was doing similar things to this, not quite as severe but as I would drive mine, I would randomly have all my dash lights come on and I would lose all power to my car immediately until I stopped the car. I changed my battery, re grounded the battery with a 1/0 gauge wire to the chassis and ran a new 1/0 gauge wire from the + battery to the alternator and I haven't had a single problem since...I then finished the big 3 upgrade and not a problem in the past 10k+ miles
2 12" rockford fosgate subs,1500w Hifonics amp, throttle spacer, performance chip, FSWerks 2.5" race exhaust, custom CAI w/Spectre 10.5x6 filter Blue leds all around pulsating in the trunk, smoked taillights and turn signals
Old 11-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
swagfocuswagon
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawlax1344 View Post
My 03 sedan was doing similar things to this, not quite as severe but as I would drive mine, I would randomly have all my dash lights come on and I would lose all power to my car immediately until I stopped the car. I changed my battery, re grounded the battery with a 1/0 gauge wire to the chassis and ran a new 1/0 gauge wire from the + battery to the alternator and I haven't had a single problem since...I then finished the big 3 upgrade and not a problem in the past 10k+ miles
I see. Thanks! I replaced the battery terminal cable going from the batt. to the alt. and it worked a little. But yeah this thing is utterly gutless. And I feel its destroying my fuel economy. I floored it yesterday it screamed but did nothing. So how do I get to the wire going to my starter? I suppose Ill have to raise my car on jacks and do it that way?

Thanks,
Patrick!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
jlawlax1344
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagfocuswagon View Post
I see. Thanks! I replaced the battery terminal cable going from the batt. to the alt. and it worked a little. But yeah this thing is utterly gutless. And I feel its destroying my fuel economy. I floored it yesterday it screamed but did nothing. So how do I get to the wire going to my starter? I suppose Ill have to raise my car on jacks and do it that way?

Thanks,
Patrick!

I have never ran a new wire to the starter. I just have a 0 guage from the + battery to the alt +; then battery - to chasis ground; then battery - to engine ground; and engine to chasis ground. I've never personally touched the starter, but it can probably be done. If your engine is lacking power like that, go through and change the air filter, or do what i did to mine and make it a SRI with a K&N or Spectre filter, get better spark plugs (i have NGK iridium) new plug wires (8.5mm high energy suspension) and a new coil pack. Then get some throttle body cleaner and clean your TB and and make sure the cable (if its a cable driven TB) is tight and when the pedal is at full throttle the TB plate is at 90degrees. Other than that get a tune possibly done to the engine. If THAT doesnt do it...i have no clue what is wrong because doing all that worked for mine like a charm. And i am currently running an aftermarket head unit, 2 12" subs and a 1500W amp off everything and still havent lost power or had light dimming.

Hope it helps!!!
2 12" rockford fosgate subs,1500w Hifonics amp, throttle spacer, performance chip, FSWerks 2.5" race exhaust, custom CAI w/Spectre 10.5x6 filter Blue leds all around pulsating in the trunk, smoked taillights and turn signals
Old 11-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
swagfocuswagon
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks! I just ran a thicker cable to the body ground from the battery today it helped a little bit. Im not looking to street the thing, its just a beater Im trying to bounce. And wow thats a lot of goodies to run on that!! And the thicker ground cable didnt help. Im gonna guess the alternators about to take a shit on me. It does need a new air filter but I know this is electrical related for sure. So looks like its time for a air filter and alternator.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
jlawlax1344
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks! I just ran a thicker cable to the body ground from the battery today it helped a little bit. Im not looking to street the thing, its just a beater Im trying to bounce. And wow thats a lot of goodies to run on that!! And the thicker ground cable didnt help. Im gonna guess the alternators about to take a shit on me. It does need a new air filter but I know this is electrical related for sure. So looks like its time for a air filter and alternator.
Yeah i didnt street mine...Yet I just wanted a little better performance and response to it until i get to street it out. Yeah all the audio is on the stock alternator and works like a charm, also helps that i do have a little background in electrical systems and engineering.

This is just to hold me over until i get my custom built engine with all forged internals and my turbo build up and running
Old 11-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
swagfocuswagon
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawlax1344 View Post
Yeah i didnt street mine...Yet I just wanted a little better performance and response to it until i get to street it out. Yeah all the audio is on the stock alternator and works like a charm, also helps that i do have a little background in electrical systems and engineering.

This is just to hold me over until i get my custom built engine with all forged internals and my turbo build up and running
Wow that sounds like that little guy should scoot lol. How fast was your car stock? Because my little 2.0 can barely move that wagon body around lol
Old 11-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Tommyatomic
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105916
What I Drive: MK3 FocusHatch 5SPD, '93 RHD WRX

FF Reputation: 1 Tommyatomic Good Standing Member
In the original post it said you had the alternator tested but it didnt say anything about having the battery tested. Have you had the battery tested.

A 2000 SE wagon would have had a likely manufacturing date of late 1999 early 2000. Most quality aftermarket batteries have a 10 year warranty. Its 2013
and OEM batteries usually don't have any warranty. Its sounds like you just need a new battery.

Get your battery tested. Big 3 upgrade is good. But it requires a good battery to be useful.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
swagfocuswagon
Focus Enthusiast

Battery was tested. Its a good battery. Although it may be possible, I doubt even with a bad battery the whole car would run like crap even under no load or anything. Are there any fuses I should look at? I check the fuses in the fuse box in the eng. compartment and all were still good.

Thanks,
Patrick!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
jlawlax1344
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Wow that sounds like that little guy should scoot lol. How fast was your car stock? Because my little 2.0 can barely move that wagon body around lol
Not fast enough, I always want more lol. I don't have a drag strip around me, so I don't have any 1/4 mile times yet lol

Last edited by jlawlax1344; 11-27-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->