Head Replacment - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
jackyl16
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 68270
What I Drive: 2002 "White Lighting" White SE

FF Reputation: 1 jackyl16 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Head Replacment

So, at 106,000 miles, I decided to proactively change my head before I experience any problems. So, I tore about the engine and once I got to the Valve cover off, I saw a huge amount of sludge in the valves. I mean, I have never seen so much. I change my oil at regular intervals, always use good oil. What do you think has caused this? Also, since I am installing a new head, should I start fresh with synthetic oil or stay with tradition oil? Any suggestions on what type of oil I should use? My car doesn't have any oil leaks either btw. Also, I am changing out everything since the engine is torn apart, water pump, timing belt, (I am even changing out the starter since I can get to it). Should I change out the oil pump or will the oil pump last another 100,000 miles?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
FordNLNR
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96745
What I Drive: '03 Comp Orange SVT / '03 ZTW

FF Reputation: 2 FordNLNR Good Standing Member
Yikes. You may change the oil regularly, but I'm guessing someone else didn't before you came along. You might try a product called AutoRX that's supposed to help gently clean up dirty engines, but that one may be beyond anything in a bottle will help. I say, if it is running fine and not burning oil, keep doing what your doing.

Either way, check that PCV system. Replace the valve and the breather filter in the air cleaner housing. Make sure all of the lines are free from obstruction.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
I wouldn't be looking to loosen ANYTHING up in there, think destroyed bearings, if head coming off much of it can be got off anyway............
Old 12-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
jackyl16
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 68270
What I Drive: 2002 "White Lighting" White SE

FF Reputation: 1 jackyl16 Good Standing Member
thanks guys...and should I switch to synthetic oil or stick with stander?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I have used standard oil for the entire life of my focus (9 1/2 years and 114,xxx and counting) with no issues, but if synthetic helps you sleep better, do it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->