SVT leaking coolant - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
GBPackFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84314
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT

Points 1,705, Level 24
Points: 1,705, Level: 24 Points: 1,705, Level: 24 Points: 1,705, Level: 24
Level Up 5% Completed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 GBPackFan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
The onlycost to you to get some sockets and take the t-stat housing off and take a look at it is a bottle of anti-freeze and some manual labor on your part. You could even, temporarily, skip the antifreeze and just use some water to fill the system up. It takes less than 30 minutes to take the housing off if you have the right tools. It is worth it to find out your exact problem. Throwing money at different parts that you might not need can be very costly, and time consuming.

At least once you get it off, and figure out that you won't need to replace the whole housing; you already have it off and can replace the o-rings, clean it, and put it back on with some good worm clamps.

Alot of people on here and fj, will without regard, run off the hose and immediately tell you to buy the t-stat housing. However if yours is good, and you replace it because someone on a web site told you to, then you just spent some money that could have gone to something else. Diagnosing the actual cause of the problem, before buying parts is ALWAYS a good idea. I know, I have personally thrown money at various parts trying to fix things that I had no idea were faulty. I eventually found and resolved the issue, but I was out of pocket over $300, on parts I didn't need to replace.

When I noticed my housing was leaking, I took it off and inspected it thouroly. I ended up having to replace it, and I got the Contour housing. My housing was cracked at the bottom, and was leaking a lot of fluid.
Current love affair: 2004 SVTF #953 (Josephina - pronounced hoe-se-fin-a)
RIP: 2002 SVTF #2358, Sent to graveyard on June 11, 2013. I will always remember the good times we had!!
This car made my hair go gray, and did not care.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
Krishilbun
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95983
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SVT Black 3door

FF Reputation: 1 Krishilbun Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New issue lol

:(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using FF Mobile
Old 12-26-2012, 12:25 AM   #13
nevik
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28070
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 6 nevik Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by robs02 View Post
It is a common problem. Check the orings at the sensor and the aluminum plug. Also you may only need the thermostat housing oring and not a new housing. Geez everone always says to get a new housing. You may need a new housing but take your housing off and check it first.
So u say the sensor has an oring? Is it the same size as the oring for the plug at the bottom of the housing? My housing is leaking at the sensor, and I have changed the oring at the plug once, already years ago. Not a hard fix, but just time consuming.

I agree with everyone else, I would locate the leak and try to fix with a clamp or oring first befor getting a new housing. Sorry to see your other problem, that looks a hell of a lot worse than a antifreeze leak!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #14
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

Points 4,112, Level 40
Points: 4,112, Level: 40 Points: 4,112, Level: 40 Points: 4,112, Level: 40
Level Up 81% Completed
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 22 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Looks like the coolant leak will be put on hold.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
Krishilbun
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdiesel View Post
Looks like the coolant leak will be put on hold.
Lol ya guess ill have to wait till next week before I can do.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #16
Krishilbun
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Can u just unplug hoses and aim up and avoid draining system? Catch whatever spills at bottom.
Also I only got housing gasket. They had 4 rings listed thermostat, housing, sensor, and something else.. They only had thermostat +housing available. So Just got housing gasket. Someone mentioned a worm clamp? Not sure what that is. Which clamp do u recommend I replace? The larger of the hoses clamp?

Thanks Kris
Old 12-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #17
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

Points 4,112, Level 40
Points: 4,112, Level: 40 Points: 4,112, Level: 40 Points: 4,112, Level: 40
Level Up 81% Completed
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 22 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Fluid will come out no matter how you try to reduce it. Just be prepared for more fluid than you think will come out by having a big ole container to catch the fluid. If the sensor is leaking you could buy a o-ring set and find the closest match and change. Worm clamp is a hose clamp. Tell auto parts store what size hose you need one for and they will get you the appropriate clamp.

Before you do any of this make sure you take the coolant cap off to reduce pressure in the system. Best bet find out exactly were your leaking from and fix that.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #18
Krishilbun
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdiesel View Post
Fluid will come out no matter how you try to reduce it. Just be prepared for more fluid than you think will come out by having a big ole container to catch the fluid. If the sensor is leaking you could buy a o-ring set and find the closest match and change. Worm clamp is a hose clamp. Tell auto parts store what size hose you need one for and they will get you the appropriate clamp.

Before you do any of this make sure you take the coolant cap off to reduce pressure in the system. Best bet find out exactly were your leaking from and fix that.
Extremely helpful. Thanks for info.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #19
svtguy88
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13476
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT

Points 8,547, Level 62
Points: 8,547, Level: 62 Points: 8,547, Level: 62 Points: 8,547, Level: 62
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 17 svtguy88 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Another leaky thermostat housing.

I'm still battling with this on my SVT, but, like you, a larger problem made me put this on the back burner.

Anyway, I've had my housing out countless times, checked/replaced the rings, cleaned it, put *real* hose clamps on ("worm gear" clamps - not those terrible factory spring jobs)....and I STILL have a small leak somewhere on the bottom.

What's up with the Contour housing? That's a reference I've not heard before -- haven't been on here a lot lately...is that a new (well, for our cars) part? Last I checked, the only options were the factory housing and the big aluminum one that CFM (I think) makes.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #20
Krishilbun
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Got housing off. What should I use to clean? Should I be careful of the thermostat in center?

Thanks. Kris

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.