Odd behavior in 1st gear, about 1,800 RPMs - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
zehkaiser
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98706
What I Drive: 2012 Tux Black Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 zehkaiser Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Odd behavior in 1st gear, about 1,800 RPMs

I have a DCT.

A while back I started having issues where my car would act like it was having trouble keeping the clutch fully engaged while accelerating in 1st gear. It would get to about 1,800 RPMs and start lurching. At about 2,200 RPMs (or after a shift) it would return to normal. Only happened in 1st, as best I can remember.

I took it to the dealer and they shrugged it off as me shifting too early (even though it did it in Drive, too). They updated the software for the transmission. Now I have another problem I'm trying to track down. While doing so, I noticed my car starting to exhibit the behavior I originally complained about and had 'fixed' 6 months ago.

That being said, it is no longer at an alarming level of power fluctuation, but still very noticeable. I've been logging as much as I can about the car for a few weeks now, and I have some interesting results.

The graph below is a small portion of the data.

Blue = Throttle position
Orange = MPH
Gray = RPM / 100

Each horizontal bar is 10 units

This makes it look like it isn't the transmission causing problems, but instead the computer making the throttle jump around! This raises even more questions, as the 'transmission' software update was for the transmission... Right? Or is it possible they're also tweaking other systems?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
bayuap
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 127986
What I Drive: 2013 black Focus 2.0 Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 bayuap Good Standing Member
What mods have you done ? Maybe a custom tune might solve the problem :D
Old 03-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
zehkaiser
Focus Enthusiast

No mods. I wouldn't mind tuning the car, but I can't justify purchasing an SCT Tuner for $600 on an NA car.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
Jburks
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145009
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Focus Hatchback SE RR DCT

FF Reputation: 1 Jburks Good Standing Member
i think they are $400.
Build thread-http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382642
Old 03-14-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
schrodingersbox
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117379
What I Drive: 2013 Sonic Blue SE Sedan 6spd

FF Reputation: 2 schrodingersbox Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburks View Post
i think they are $400.
After shipping to Canada + exchange rate it's closer to $600. The only thing that's stopped me so far. But North Carolina ain't got that problem!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:08 AM   #6
wavsine
Focus Addict

Fan#: 118470
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Oxford White Hatch 5m

FF Reputation: 6 wavsine Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayuap View Post
What mods have you done ? Maybe a custom tune might solve the problem :D
I would not even consider a tune until he resolves the clutch engagement issue.

The tune may just exacerbate the problem.

Synthetic oil in GDI engines
www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324396
Old 03-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by zehkaiser View Post
I took it to the dealer and they shrugged it off as me shifting too early (even though it did it in Drive, too). They updated the software for the transmission. Now I have another problem I'm trying to track down. While doing so, I noticed my car starting to exhibit the behavior I originally complained about and had 'fixed' 6 months ago.
Hey zehkaiser,

I'd like to connect you with your regional customer service manager, who'll work with you and your dealer to come to a resolution. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

I'll get this up the ladder.

Todd

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 04-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
zehkaiser
Focus Enthusiast

OK. So I got a call back from the dealership. I have mixed feelings about the situation.

On one hand, they replaced my steering wheel chrome and airbag (had a bit of peeling). That was nice.

On the other hand, they experienced the shudder I was complaining about, but it isn't bad enough to be repaired. I was told that the tech was able to log that the RPM difference was at 160. The limit for repair is 250 RPMs.

I'm not sure if that means that the transmissions is actually slipping a little bit, but it isn't "bad enough," or that there is play somewhere that can cause it to look that way. I'm baffled, but I'll keep logging my data and if I see it get over 250 RPMs regularly while I'm still within my 60,000 I'll take it back and try again.

EDIT: Had a longer conversation with the tech at the dealership. It isn't the RPMs of the transmission, but the RPMs of the shift drum. He said that most cars he has checked are typically between 210-230, and that mine being at 160 is really good.

Last edited by zehkaiser; 04-03-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
OK. So I got a call back from the dealership. I have mixed feelings about the situation.

On one hand, they replaced my steering wheel chrome and airbag (had a bit of peeling). That was nice.

On the other hand, they experienced the shudder I was complaining about, but it isn't bad enough to be repaired. I was told that the tech was able to log that the RPM difference was at 160. The limit for repair is 250 RPMs.

I'm not sure if that means that the transmissions is actually slipping a little bit, but it isn't "bad enough," or that there is play somewhere that can cause it to look that way. I'm baffled, but I'll keep logging my data and if I see it get over 250 RPMs regularly while I'm still within my 60,000 I'll take it back and try again.
I'm glad your dealership was able to replace your steering wheel chrome and airbag. If you'd like, you may visit another Ford Dealer for a second opinion. Just let me know what you decide.

Todd

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 04-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #10
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
I'm baffled, but I'll keep logging my data and if I see it get over 250 RPMs regularly while I'm still within my 60,000 I'll take it back and try again..
How many miles do you have now?

Quote:
EDIT: Had a longer conversation with the tech at the dealership. It isn't the RPMs of the transmission, but the RPMs of the shift drum. He said that most cars he has checked are typically between 210-230, and that mine being at 160 is really good.
The RPM of the shift drum? Really? It sounds like he doesn't know what a shift drum is and what it does. But that's not surprising... he is a transmission tech at a Ford dealership, LOL.

Bookmarks & Social Networks