Taking our lumps from Consumer Reports ... - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #81
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
No, what I'm telling you is that the Focus *line* is unreliable. Yours may not be, but generally they are.

umm bullshit...wana explain what else is unreliable about this car other than the DCT?

and yea, MFT is great. A bit laggy but its absolutely fantastic otherwise, and SYNC voice has always been on point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #82
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
I second this. Why not getting a system who's getting better and better? I never had big issues with my MFT, and with all the updates Ford did to it, it became a "must have" IMO.
couldnt have put it better myself. have only owned MFT with the latest update, but its great
Old 12-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #83
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
The DCT being unreliable is more than enough trouble. It is a major part of the vehicle, without it working correctly, you aren't getting far.

That is what all you focus supporters seem to be overlooking. It is not something insignificant like MFT being buggy. If the transmission doesn't work, you're screwed. This is a brand new car...we should not be having these issues. Like I have stated before, my DCT actually works smoothly, but I am holding my breath waiting for the seals to fail.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #84
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30og View Post
im exaggerating A LOT haha. didnt mean to rub it in to any DCT owners, I feel your pain. In my household we all do a tremendous amount of driving, and we also keep cars in our family for decades until they are beyond run in to the ground and completely dead. An automatic transmission is guaranteed to fail in that time span so when I say they are designed to fail, I mean they will surely fail in those circumstances. if your someone who trades cars every 4-5 years, thats not a big concern for you, but for the long termers you pretty assume its gonna die around 100-150k miles
Fair enough...

I've been lucky so far with the DCT (not to say that it is perfect).
Old 12-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #85
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
That is what all you focus supporters seem to be overlooking. It is not something insignificant like MFT being buggy. If the transmission doesn't work, you're screwed. This is a brand new car...we should not be having these issues. Like I have stated before, my DCT actually works smoothly, but I am holding my breath waiting for the seals to fail.
Feel free to disagree with any of the following:

1) The main issues are clutch engagement (shudder) and clutch rattling noise (which I believe is harmless).

2) IMO, the real problem is service. Many DCT's have been reported to work well so it means (in theory) that they are all capable of working well. Older Focuses that have clutch problems should have the seals and clutch assembly replaced.

3) The transmission itself (the "gearbox") seems to be very reliable.

4) The current firmware may need some tweaks (for clutch engagement and shift points) but is not bad overall.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:35 AM   #86
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Feel free to disagree with any of the following:

1) The main issues are clutch engagement (shudder) and clutch rattling noise (which I believe is harmless).

2) IMO, the real problem is service. Many DCT's have been reported to work well so it means (in theory) that they are all capable of working well. Older Focuses that have clutch problems should have the seals and clutch assembly replaced.

3) The transmission itself (the "gearbox") seems to be very reliable.

4) The current firmware may need some tweaks (for clutch engagement and shift points) but is not bad overall.
Those are all issues as well, but the seals failing is a huge concern and in my opinion it is not "if" it will fail but WHEN. Many on this forum have reported that when they brought their focus in for repairs the service managers have basically laughed and said "they are all failing" with multiple other foci being repaired with the parts on BACK ORDER.

This just like the steering rack issue (which was also a huge problem, parts on back order for 6-8 weeks..my new one actually had to be shipped from Canada - this was because thousands, maybe even tens of thousands literally were being replaced) which I have gone through, which has destroyed the feeling of my car is just horrible to experience on a brand new vehicle.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #87
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
When I got the car, MFT was a joke. It's great now and I love the stock sound system. My only complaint with the clutch is that dealers are overlooking serious issues. I think the transmissions are solid, but the version A clutch had legitimate problems.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #88
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
Those are all issues as well, but the seals failing is a huge concern and in my opinion it is not "if" it will fail but WHEN.
As I mentioned, Older Focuses that have clutch problems should have the seals and clutch assembly replaced.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #89
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
As I mentioned, Older Focuses that have clutch problems should have the seals and clutch assembly replaced.
The 3 dealers I visited would disagree.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #90
FocusNoire
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103824
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 FocusNoire Good Standing Member
I don't know if this has been asked yet, but does anyone know how CR rated the Chevy Cruze or the Mazda 3? Just curious...

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->