Taking our lumps from Consumer Reports ... - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #61
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
If CR was out there all by itself, I'd be in full agreement.
But such is not the case, and trying to make it all go away because CR got it wrong is like whistling past the graveyard.
Whatever affection we feel for Foci, there are some legitimate issues that FoMoCo needs to address.
It is self delusion to think otherwise.
Moon
Completely agree with this.

While the focus has its good parts, it also has its bad parts which really ruins the car, for me anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #62
frinesi2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95914
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 frinesi2 Good Standing Member
It seems like the average opinion here is to ONLY use Consumer reports or to NEVER use Consumer Reports. How about reading their reviews and looking at the rating history for the car you have in mind and mixing that in with reading reviews from other sources (both consumer reviews and editorial reviews) and going on test drives? Also, reliability data from Consumer Reports doesn't do much good when a car has only been out a year or two. Their is a big difference between projected reliability and actual reliability - that's why I only use CR when I'm looking at used vehicles several years old.

Also, when I was looking for a new Focus, I predicted that the DCT and MFT would just be a pain. I mean come one, we're talking about an automatic transmission and an infotainment system - two of the more pointless things ever put in to cars, especially when I am blessed with four functioning limbs, adequate physical coordination, and a smart phone.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #63
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by frinesi2 View Post
It seems like the average opinion here is to ONLY use Consumer reports or to NEVER use Consumer Reports. How about reading their reviews and looking at the rating history for the car you have in mind and mixing that in with reading reviews from other sources (both consumer reviews and editorial reviews) and going on test drives? Also, reliability data from Consumer Reports doesn't do much good when a car has only been out a year or two. Their is a big difference between projected reliability and actual reliability - that's why I only use CR when I'm looking at used vehicles several years old.

Also, when I was looking for a new Focus, I predicted that the DCT and MFT would just be a pain. I mean come one, we're talking about an automatic transmission and an infotainment system - two of the more pointless things ever put in to cars, especially when I am blessed with four functioning limbs, adequate physical coordination, and a smart phone.
Well in the focus' case, looking at multiple reviews including CR will point that the DCT and MFT are horrible. So CR is spot on.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #64
tomm55
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87676
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus s

FF Reputation: 1 tomm55 Good Standing Member
I bought a 2012 Focus S in Aug 2011. It had no options. 5 speed stick. Changed Tires at 25000 miles to CR'S top rated tires. Much better than stock.
At the end of November I had a Certificate from Ford for $500, Got a $500 rebate for being a Focus owner, Got $2000 customer cash and a $350 MFT rebate. Paid $250 over invoice minus $3395 Rebates for a Loaded SE. I have the newest version on MFT and Navigation with the A4 card. Works well but there is a learning curve. I have the 5 Spd stick again. Years ago Consumer Reports used to rate automatics and manuals transmissons. The manal 5 speed is one of the best out there. The Focus is a great car. Ford needs to do what Honda did. Fix the problems fast. As for resale, I had 27000 miles in 17 months and got $4000 less than I paid.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:21 AM   #65
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm55 View Post
I bought a 2012 Focus S in Aug 2011. It had no options. 5 speed stick. Changed Tires at 25000 miles to CR'S top rated tires. Much better than stock.
At the end of November I had a Certificate from Ford for $500, Got a $500 rebate for being a Focus owner, Got $2000 customer cash and a $350 MFT rebate. Paid $250 over invoice minus $3395 Rebates for a Loaded SE. I have the newest version on MFT and Navigation with the A4 card. Works well but there is a learning curve. I have the 5 Spd stick again. Years ago Consumer Reports used to rate automatics and manuals transmissons. The manal 5 speed is one of the best out there. The Focus is a great car. Ford needs to do what Honda did. Fix the problems fast. As for resale, I had 27000 miles in 17 months and got $4000 less than I paid.
+1

congrats!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #66
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
How reliable my car is or how much I enjoy driving it has nothing whatsoever to do with Consumer Reports.
Umm...what? How much you enjoy driving it may have nothing to do with Consumer Reports, but how reliable it is absolutely does. Ford made an unreliable car, and the car won't care who *YOU* are when determining if it'll be reliable or not.

That's a ridiculous statement.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #67
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Quote:
And if CR were some be-all and end-all with regard to resale values, I'd be in full agreement with you. However, there are way too many variables in that to put much stock in any one factor, including CR.

This assuming anyone buys what's essentially an econobox for the resale value.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #68
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
Umm...what? How much you enjoy driving it may have nothing to do with Consumer Reports, but how reliable it is absolutely does. Ford made an unreliable car, and the car won't care who *YOU* are when determining if it'll be reliable or not.

Actually, no, its not. hlsg, your statement is just as ridiculous... LOL... Re read Kabigon's statement again... an online publication, accurate or not, has absolutely nothing to do with how reliable his, particular car is.... just like this website, a lot of us have not had the same issues with DCT or MFT, even those that have (I did have my clutches replaced, but, the car worked fine even with the contaminated clutch discs), I wouldn't consider my vehicle "unreliable", minor annoyances with MFT (which are gone now) does not make the car unreliable. I guess some are more sensative to these issues, that, and if you have an uncoperative dealership, I guess that can make the new car ownership experience frustrating by times.
But to suggest that because CR says something about your car, then, it must absolutely be true across the board is quite ridiculous in itself as well.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)
Old 12-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #69
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post

My car has never been in for service but you are telling me that my car is unreliable.

Also (and despite what CR says), I like MFT. If I was ordering a new Focus today, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to get it.

CR cannot determine how reliable any given car will be.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #70
Just Tom
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106663
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti (5 Dr.)

FF Reputation: 3 Just Tom Good Standing Member
Quote:
But such is not the case, and trying to make it all go away because CR got it wrong is like whistling past the graveyard.
Whatever affection we feel for Foci, there are some legitimate issues that FoMoCo needs to address.It is self delusion to think otherwise.
Moon
This is TRUE!

Bookmarks & Social Networks