Sync services is awesome! - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #21
Just Tom
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106663
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti (5 Dr.)

Points 1,138, Level 18
Points: 1,138, Level: 18 Points: 1,138, Level: 18 Points: 1,138, Level: 18
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 Just Tom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
As some of us were discussing yesterday, some of the features under, Services requires a cell phone connection, such as movie listings, stock quotes, news, etc... A few people brought up the increased data cost with cell phone providers to use these services which is why they don't use those them much, or in some cases the services aren't available in their market (Canada). Well...this morning on my way to work there were 2 accidents along my route to work and I discovered that not all of Sync Services utilize a data connection. For example, I was able to search for traffic conditions and it pulled up the two accidents that were along my route. In addition I was able to check gas prices without incurring cell phone data charges. So it would appear that some of these services operate off of GPS signals, whereas others do require the use of the cell phone (stock quotes, movie listings, news, etc).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #22
JasDmw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105501
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti Hatch Sterling Grey

Points 177, Level 3
Points: 177, Level: 3 Points: 177, Level: 3 Points: 177, Level: 3
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 JasDmw Good Standing Member
I have used the traffic function as well,, although yesterday I was driving by one which hadn't appeared yet (too new maybe?). But the gas price one doesn't work (get the spinning icon only). I was thinking it was part of the Sirius package? Maybe soomeone else can clarify.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #23
xpeterbilt387x
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 54461
What I Drive: 14' PB ST2

Points 3,522, Level 37
Points: 3,522, Level: 37 Points: 3,522, Level: 37 Points: 3,522, Level: 37
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 xpeterbilt387x Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
That used to be true on the 2012 models when there was more flexibility with the options matrix and an additonal trim level between the SE and the Titanium, but now with their streamlined assembly process and order matrix if you want a hatchback with rear disk brakes an alloy wheels you have to have leather seats in the U.S. You also have to have MFT to get the dual zone automatic climate control where as in 2012 it was standard on the SEL which came standard with the 4.2" sync w/ myford system without the siruis reciever.

Now you're funneled into one of a few large and expensive option packages to get what you want.

If I had to replace the car tomorrow for some ungodly reason the only Focus I can see myself going with is the ST, but it would probably have to be the base ST to avoid MFT and to avoid spending $4000 for options I don't really need or want. But that would also mean giving up the heated seats and the dual zone climate control.

My car is very rare for the fact that it was a one year only model, a one year only combination of features, and a one year only color. None of which could be replaced in 2013.

To equip the car the same way would cost thousands of additional dollars due to the other equipment that would be manditory to match or exceed this level of equipment.
I agree on this! My car is another one of the rare 12's due to the fact my color was only offered for a few months at best. and its an SEL without MFT
Old 12-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #24
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

Points 1,491, Level 21
Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasDmw View Post
I have used the traffic function as well,, although yesterday I was driving by one which hadn't appeared yet (too new maybe?). But the gas price one doesn't work (get the spinning icon only). I was thinking it was part of the Sirius package? Maybe soomeone else can clarify.
Yes, what you are referring to is Sirius traffic/travel link, which is different than Sync services. My fuel prices through Sirius will sit there spinning away and loading for days as well.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #25
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,571, Level 65
Points: 9,571, Level: 65 Points: 9,571, Level: 65 Points: 9,571, Level: 65
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 34%
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpeterbilt387x View Post
I agree on this! My car is another one of the rare 12's due to the fact my color was only offered for a few months at best. and its an SEL without MFT
There were more sedans than hatches painted in my car's color, but mine is one of only 6795 5 door hatches painted in this color.

Ford claims to have sold close to 221k Foci this year (until the beginning of december when I saw them post numbers last), (I'm sure that's excluding the 2012s built and sold last year as this model year), so although I don't know exactly how many were built this specific calendar year since some were built back in 2011, that still works out to less than 3.1% of all the 2012 models were a hatch back in this color. It gets even rarer still factoring in the interior trim and trim level options.

The SEL 300A with winter package was at least $150 less than the SE 203A DCT with winter package at one point on A/Z plan yet it had the dual zone climate control, the nicer looking cloth seats, the side by side cup holders and the forward position for the heated seat controls, etc.

You just can't configure it the same way now without spending thousands of dollars more.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #26
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87707
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 0 paul21 Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
As some of us were discussing yesterday, some of the features under, Services requires a cell phone connection, such as movie listings, stock quotes, news, etc... A few people brought up the increased data cost with cell phone providers to use these services which is why they don't use those them much, or in some cases the services aren't available in their market (Canada). Well...this morning on my way to work there were 2 accidents along my route to work and I discovered that not all of Sync Services utilize a data connection. For example, I was able to search for traffic conditions and it pulled up the two accidents that were along my route. In addition I was able to check gas prices without incurring cell phone data charges. So it would appear that some of these services operate off of GPS signals, whereas others do require the use of the cell phone (stock quotes, movie listings, news, etc).
It never uses a data connection nor does it ever use the phone's GPS. It simply dials an 800 number and you are talking to the computer over the telephone, so it uses minutes. If it needs to transfer data, it switches to a dial-up mode where it gets a ~14.4 kbps link over the voice channel.

All of the cars with Sync or MFT have a GPS receiver built in. The hardware is less than $30 each now to get a lat/lon reading so they just put it in every car pretty much. In fact, the MFT without navi and MFT with navi are the same except for a hidden option that allows the MFT with navi to access the navigation menu and sounds and read the SD card.

P.S. Don't forget to "renew" your sync services every year, 2012 owners! It's free for the lifetime of the vehicle, but if you lapse, you'll potentially have to pay to get it back.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:36 AM   #27
suss6052
Focus Addict

Points 9,571, Level 65
Level Up 74% Completed
Forum Activity 34%
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
It never uses a data connection nor does it ever use the phone's GPS. It simply dials an 800 number and you are talking to the computer over the telephone, so it uses minutes. If it needs to transfer data, it switches to a dial-up mode where it gets a ~14.4 kbps link over the voice channel.

All of the cars with Sync or MFT have a GPS receiver built in. The hardware is less than $30 each now to get a lat/lon reading so they just put it in every car pretty much. In fact, the MFT without navi and MFT with navi are the same except for a hidden option that allows the MFT with navi to access the navigation menu and sounds and read the SD card.

P.S. Don't forget to "renew" your sync services every year, 2012 owners! It's free for the lifetime of the vehicle, but if you lapse, you'll potentially have to pay to get it back.
That is incorrect, sync services is only free for the first three years of vehicle ownership, not the lifetime of the vehicle, unless you mean to tell me that in 2015 the car will just stop working at 3 years and 1 day old. After the three year rolling period of annual renewals its $60/year currently to continue sync services.

I don't understand how some people think its free forever if you keep renewing it before the end of the year when it clearly states an expiration date on the syncmyride page under sync services that was 3 years from the date that the vehicle was noted as purchased.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #28
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
That is incorrect, sync services is only free for the first three years of vehicle ownership, not the lifetime of the vehicle, unless you mean to tell me that in 2015 the car will just stop working at 3 years and 1 day old. After the three year rolling period of annual renewals its $60/year currently to continue sync services.

I don't understand how some people think its free forever if you keep renewing it before the end of the year when it clearly states an expiration date on the syncmyride page under sync services that was 3 years from the date that the vehicle was noted as purchased.
I guess you're right, but if I have to go in there and "renew" it every year and I'm shown this message:

It leads me to believe that the complimentary service is renewable indefinitely (whether it is or not).
Old 12-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #29
suss6052
Focus Addict

Points 9,571, Level 65
Level Up 74% Completed
Forum Activity 34%
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
I guess you're right, but if I have to go in there and "renew" it every year and I'm shown this message:

It leads me to believe that the complimentary service is renewable indefinitely (whether it is or not).
There's your problem, reading this and assuming one thing when it clearly states that durring the time period of your complimentary service it is required that you renew it once per year to verify that you are actually using the service and that they can track who is and who isn't using the service in order to market to those who do at the end of the complimentary period about renewing at the current price at the time.

Right now that price is $60 per year, but it may go up in the future.

Nowhere on the SMR page does it state or indicate that the services are free forever.

Did you read the whole page? It explicitly gives an expiration date for your complimentary sync services subscription of 3 years from the date that Ford was told that the vehicle was first sold and registered.

After that date services are no longer complimentary.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #30
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
There's your problem
Quote:
Nowhere on the SMR page does it state or indicate that the services are free forever.
Quote:
Did you read the whole page?
Quote:

Wow, what an unfriendly moderator. I show you what mislead me and you come back with this?

Bookmarks & Social Networks