Sync services is awesome! - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91700
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum Forcus SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 2 flingwing1969 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
[/COLOR]
To each his own Suss. That's why manufactures offer different options/packages, MFt is available to those who want it. Some prefer the 5 speed manual transmission over DCT. The same argument could be made there, where until such time that the DCT shifts flawlessly as it should, it becomes another useless annoyance. As with all techonolgy, it improves over time; I assume that will be the case here as well.
I like many of the services but mainly find traffic and directions useful. My issue with directions has been that:
1. I have yet to have the non-assisted system find my address, even after repeated attempts while the assistant instantly finds the address and down loads it to me.
2. The system must be again updated to a new route if you leave the planned route (either intentionally or through a wrong turn) and this requires another cell phone call.

I use traffic, I do not use directions, except to test it. I rely on my very trustworthy five year old Garmin Nuvi to get me there no matter how badly I follow her directions.
1974 Dodge W300 Power Wagon dump truck
2002 Kubota B-21 tractor-loader-backhoe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
Just Tom
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106663
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti (5 Dr.)

FF Reputation: 3 Just Tom Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
That used to be true on the 2012 models when there was more flexibility with the options matrix and an additonal trim level between the SE and the Titanium, but now with their streamlined assembly process and order matrix if you want a hatchback with rear disk brakes an alloy wheels you have to have leather seats in the U.S. You also have to have MFT to get the dual zone automatic climate control where as in 2012 it was standard on the SEL which came standard with the 4.2" sync w/ myford system without the siruis reciever.

Now you're funneled into one of a few large and expensive option packages to get what you want.

If I had to replace the car tomorrow for some ungodly reason the only Focus I can see myself going with is the ST, but it would probably have to be the base ST to avoid MFT and to avoid spending $4000 for options I don't really need or want. But that would also mean giving up the heated seats and the dual zone climate control.

My car is very rare for the fact that it was a one year only model, a one year only combination of features, and a one year only color. None of which could be replaced in 2013.

To equip the car the same way would cost thousands of additional dollars due to the other equipment that would be manditory to match or exceed this level of equipment.
This has become a trend in the automotive industry and Ford is certainly not exempting themselves from it. All the manufacturers bundle options/packages now. To quote the Vonage commercial, "We ALLLLLLL Bundle." I agree with the premise that it's harder to get exactly what you want as if you were custom ordering and now you're required to accept options that you may not necessarily want in order to get others. For the sake of efficiency and obviously profit, I see this trend continuing.

Short of higher end luxury cars, there seems to be very few makes that offer the choices that you desire. In the meantime, if you want those heated leather seats, then you better be prepared to pay for the sunroof that comes along with it, etc...
Old 12-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
Just Tom
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
That used to be true on the 2012 models when there was more flexibility with the options matrix and an additonal trim level between the SE and the Titanium, but now with their streamlined assembly process and order matrix if you want a hatchback with rear disk brakes an alloy wheels you have to have leather seats in the U.S. You also have to have MFT to get the dual zone automatic climate control where as in 2012 it was standard on the SEL which came standard with the 4.2" sync w/ myford system without the siruis reciever.

Now you're funneled into one of a few large and expensive option packages to get what you want.

If I had to replace the car tomorrow for some ungodly reason the only Focus I can see myself going with is the ST, but it would probably have to be the base ST to avoid MFT and to avoid spending $4000 for options I don't really need or want. But that would also mean giving up the heated seats and the dual zone climate control.

My car is very rare for the fact that it was a one year only model, a one year only combination of features, and a one year only color. None of which could be replaced in 2013.

To equip the car the same way would cost thousands of additional dollars due to the other equipment that would be manditory to match or exceed this level of equipment.
I just had a follow-up thought with respect to my last comment. There may be another reason for why more "customizable" options were available in 2012 than with 2013 models. As 2012 was the first model year, it would seem logical that Ford was evaluating what options, combination of options and colors were most popular. At some point they obviously made changes to the option packages, so I can only assume it was based on the previous model year statistics. Just a thought.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #14
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
I just had a follow-up thought with respect to my last comment. There may be another reason for why more "customizable" options were available in 2012 than with 2013 models. As 2012 was the first model year, it would seem logical that Ford was evaluating what options, combination of options and colors were most popular. At some point they obviously made changes to the option packages, so I can only assume it was based on the previous model year statistics. Just a thought.
They "streamlined" things based on what the dealer cares about, selling a much more expensive car and not leaving the educated consumer the choice in the matter. They don't care about the consumer having the choice to choose the options that are best suited for them as most of the cars are ordered for dealer stock and sold off the lot unlike in europe where most of the cars are custom and cusomer ordered and the dealer migh have a few demonstrators on the forecourt instead of a huge lot worth of cars/ trucks/ vans.

I didn't want leather seats when I ordered my car, although if the leather really did work better with the seat heaters than I'd have considered it, but only in the medium light stone interior trim color scheme which was much more upscale in appearance and lightened the cabin ambiance over the dark and dreary black leather seats.

I ordered an SEL 300A with winter package because it was the least amount of compromise to get what I had wanted at the time. This paint color was only available with disk brakes and alloy wheels on all four corners on the SEL trim, particularly as a hatchback. I could have gotten an SE SFE sedan with less equipment for less money if I wanted a sedan and was willing to compromise on the steel wheels.

I had gone back and forth through the entire options matrix/ combination availability on the 2012s before deciding on what was the best equipped car for the money.

The base SEL was less expensive on A/Z plan than the loaded up SE 203A and only gave up the stupid sirius reciever due to the bundling that stated that you had to get MFT on the SEL to get this even though the sync w/ myford module was compatble and the same between the se and the sel.

It would be most profitable if they were to only build to order and not carry large quantities of unsold inventory, although here in the states people are too impatient and want to pick something off the lot.

I understand why they did it, but it is only good for the dealers and the company, not the end customer who is informed and makes rational decisions.

Now given that most Americans buy cars off of the lot based on emotion it probably won't hurt their sales especially if they lower the rebates and incentives and sell the cars sooner rather than having unsold cars on the lots for 6 months. However in the re-arranging of features they made the 16" alloy wheels standard on the SE but removed the fog lamps and the rear disk brakes require a $2700+ dollar option package on anything other than the SFE sedan where the option was reduced in price to $95 instead of $495 because you are trading in the alloy wheels for the aero and software tweaks (spoiler, rear disk brakes with low drag, the aero hubcaps,etc).
Old 12-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
The only thing I can get the sync services lady to say is "I'm sorry, I didn't understand you"
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #16
Merrigan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 104581
What I Drive: 2013 Black SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Merrigan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven456 View Post
Still not available in Canada.
I was a little excited for a minute. Damn.

Sent from your mom's house.
Sonics MK3 Crew #21
Old 12-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #17
Just Tom
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
The only thing I can get the sync services lady to say is "I'm sorry, I didn't understand you"
If you are married then this probably sounds familar. It's like having Wife MyTouch, version 2.0 in the car......or Wife NoTouch, depending on "her mood."
Old 12-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #18
mmmfloorpie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72039
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic SE

FF Reputation: 1 mmmfloorpie Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven456 View Post
Still not available in Canada.
x2.

You'd think after how many months of Ford being the number one car make in Canada they'd finally go and set up a 1-800 for Canada...
Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #19
bassmobile
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95742
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Titanium Focus

FF Reputation: 2 bassmobile Good Standing Member
I use the Sync Destinations app on my iPhone to setup "My Points", than shoot it to Sync via the app. Than use the turn by turn directions. I am really impressed on how well it works. Have not used my GPS in a while! The only down side is if you go off-route, it takes it a bit to redo the directions since it has to learn your location and download new directions.

Also use it all the time for weather, finding businesses and news.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #20
Just Tom
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmobile View Post
I use the Sync Destinations app on my iPhone to setup "My Points", than shoot it to Sync via the app. Than use the turn by turn directions. I am really impressed on how well it works. Have not used my GPS in a while! The only down side is if you go off-route, it takes it a bit to redo the directions since it has to learn your location and download new directions.

Also use it all the time for weather, finding businesses and news.
I didn't realize there's an app for that. I'll have to check that out.

Bookmarks & Social Networks