Oil filler cap blown off 2012 focus - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Artex
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107214
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE

FF Reputation: 1 Artex Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Oil filler cap blown off 2012 focus

Long time lurker- first time poster...
Here's the rundown; got the first oil change @ 3000 miles. I'm at around 8800 now. Was driving to work this afternoon (about 30 miles one way) and started to notice a weird smell in the cabin. Long story short: got to work, opened the hood, oil filler cap sitting on top of the engine - oil everywhere. Checked the level, looks about at the halfway mark. What should I do now? I didn't even open the hood since the last oil change ( I know, I know... I drive a truck for a living so I know a little about maintenance, etc. just didn't see a reason for it on a brand new car that was running fine). Called the dealership... The guy at the service desk didn't even seem interested to talk to me- told me to "bring it in".
What should I expect/ ask for? Evidently it was not my fault. Even if I was to check the oil level I would use the dipstick and not fiddle with the filler cap.
What would be a "procedure" for a remedy to my issue?
Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
You know, that's an "Odd" one, but I'd go with the simplest, "stupidest" explanation first - BEFORE looking for "odd" issues.

In other words, I'm betting the cap wasn't on right from the oil change and eventually popped off & made a mess!

If they suggested cleaning up the mess, checking & reinstalling the cap, & calling it "fixed" as long as it doesn't reoccur, I'd be satisfied.

(Apology for the issue would be nice of course)

The GOOD thing about taking it back to them for the "fix", is that you get a record of the issue on file (save receipts obviously) and if it DOES reoccur there is a "paper trail" to follow for warranty.

Simple answer is the most likely, so I wouldn't worry about it too much beyond letting them clean up their mess!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Artex
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107214
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE

FF Reputation: 1 Artex Good Standing Member
Quick update:
I'm sitting at the dealership at the moment. They took a look under the hood, are going to clean up the engine compartment and give me the Works oil change. No arguments or problems. Evident fault from their side for not having the filler cap tightened.
I wasn't looking for freebies- just wanted them to make it right. Happy with the outcome.
I will request to have this "incident" notated in the service history for future reference as suggested.

Thanks for the reply. Regards.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
dooor
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 51395
What I Drive: 2007 se stick

FF Reputation: 1 dooor Good Standing Member
From the school of hard knocks when dealing with car dealers-GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING IN DETAIL, TAKE WITH YOU AND KEEP. If a rod bearing gives up you will need the hard copy for your claim.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooor View Post
From the school of hard knocks when dealing with car dealers-GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING IN DETAIL, TAKE WITH YOU AND KEEP. If a rod bearing gives up you will need the hard copy for your claim.
Also, always double check everything. never assume that they did their job right. (dealer or not)
Old 12-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Sounds Good, No hassle is always a plus....

Down half a quart is nothing to worry about, the "add" mark is one quart down and it doesn't need "topping up" until it gets that low.

Double checking is always a plus as well, though it's not a fail-safe....

"Murphy" is always looking for an opportunity to strike!

(grin)
Old 12-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
I had the 'same' thing happen when I brought the car in for a recall many years ago. They did the recall ".... and checked all the fluids since it was here..... anti-freeze color looked good....".

A mile down the road I heard a pop under the hood and pulled over. Looking all over I didn't initially see anything out of the ordinary. Then it struck me that the coolant reservoir didn't have its cap. The early caps never went on that well and were easily cross threaded. I found the cap down by the accessory belt, cut up good from the belt - called the service rep and asked what happened.

'He diagnosed' it well over the phone ".... the cap came off...." - bring it back in. When I got there he said they couldn't have done it because they didn't have the cap off. I knew I didn't have the cap off in over a year and reminded him that he said "the coolant color looked fine" - did the tech have the cap off to check the color? I said I was just asking because I wanted to know if I had another problem that I should be looking out for.

He left ..... another tech was there and said that the cap wasn't installed properly. The service rep came back with a NEW cap and said no charge.

When I take the car in for alignments, any car, I say please don't lift the hood - I do my own maintenance, for this very reason.
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
there's no way the filler cap popped off. they probably just set it on the engine during the oil change and missed it. Enough oil eventually splashed out to make it on the manifold and turn to smoke.

Now the coolant cap post above, that makes sense. that can happen.

glad you got it all straightened out though.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->