How to: Bi-Xenon Projector Retrofit - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
Chickenmuffn
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103458
What I Drive: 2011 Focus Zetec 1.6

FF Reputation: 9 Chickenmuffn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How to: Bi-Xenon Projector Retrofit

I finished my retrofit last week and have been enjoying the hell out of them ever since. Beautiful sharp and blue cut off. And best of all I get to use HID's without blinding everyone on the road. So now I'm going to give this 'how to' a go. There is already a guide on the forum from another member, but the more the merrier eh?

How to Install HIDs: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303974

You can buy the projectors and HID kit from The Retrofit Source. Or you can buy the projectors and HID kit from various chinese sellers on ebay or Aliexpress (cheaper but less reliable). You will need:

Parts:

Morimoto Mini H1 Bi-xenon projectors
HID kit (ballast and bulbs)
HID relay harness
50watt 6ohm resisters x2 (very important, for the bulb error codes)
Butyl rubber sealant
Silicone sealant
Electrical wiring accessories

Tools:

Basic DIY tools
Drill
Dremel
Heat gun
Spring clamps
Blade
Electrical wiring tools

A few comments before the how to:

- This is a hard and time-consuming project; make sure you are prepared to undertake this project. I found it easy to be honest but this is my second retrofit.

- Everything listed above is necessary and you should not undertake this project if you do not have these items.

- I’m not sure how North America focus’ computers will react to HID’s but I know that for a fact that my UK focus doesn’t like them. If the car didn’t register the correct current draw from the low beams, it would give me the bulb malfunction beep and message and then cut power to the low beams. So I had to wire in resistors to the circuit to mimic a standard 55w H7 bulb.

- If you can, it is best to find a broken focus with a broken headlight to practice removing the headlight lens. I did this and I absolutely ravaged the test headlight, but in doing so I learned tricks that allowed me to spare my headlights. But fear not, I’ll try my best to share these tips and tricks.

- I did this retrofit without the use of an oven, mainly because mine isn’t big enough for the headlight. It is entirely possible to do it with a heat gun. In fact I prefer the heat gun.

Remove The Headlight

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ight=sidelight

Remove The Headlight Lens

Okay, this is the hardest part. I’m going to try my best to make it easy for you though. I’m going to show you how to do it with a heat gun.

First remove all the bulbs: sidelight, low beam, hi beam, and indicator

The following diagram is how the lens is held into the housing.

In order to separate the lens and the housing you need to heat up the edge of the lens and remove/separate the sealant. Instead of heating the headlight all the way around, work with 6 inch segments at a time.

Slowly heat up a 6 inch segment. Do so by running the heat gun back and forth for about 20-30 seconds. I started with the top of the headlight.

First we will be dealing with the outer sealant. Once heated try and get a flathead screw driver underneath the black plastic and pry it up. You just need to get it up a tiny bit at first. If you can’t get it up a bit, heat it up again and repeat. Becareful, if the plastic gets too hot you can melt it completely, you want to retain as much form and structure as possible. You want something like this:

Once you get the black plastic up a tiny bit, heat up the segment again for about 15 seconds and get a blade and run it in the gap you made multiple times. This will slice up the sealant. Do not heat up the plastic too much or you will slice right through it.

After slicing, heat up the segment again and this time you will be able to pry it up a lot more with your screw driver. You want it to look sort of like this:

You want to do the above process in 6 inch segments for the entire headlight.

When you complete the entire circumference, get a flathead screw driver and get it underneath the lens and push it into the headlight. This will break the inner sealant. Go around the headlight doing this, as you go around the lens will start coming loose. Use your blade to slice extra/stubborn sealant.

Remove The Reflector

To remove the reflector you simply pull it. There are 3 points that connect it to the housing. 2 on the top and 1 on the bottom. I started with the bottom one first. It is a "U-shaped" clip. You can slide your hand between the reflector and the housing and just pull the bottom out easily. The top two are a bit more difficult and are like ball and socket joints. You need to pull them in the direction that they face. No bending.

You can paint the reflector at this point. You can also paint the bezel, if yours is chrome, that is screwed to the lens. I recommend a satin black paint.

Modifying The Reflector

Drill a small hole below the low beam opening for the projectors hi beam solenoid wires.

On the back side of the reflector at low beam opening you will need to remove the two posts that are at the 12 and 6 o clock position in order for the projector mountain equipment to fit. Use your dremel.

Installing Projector
You are now ready to install the projector onto the reflector. Install the shroud and silicone washer onto the projector.

Insert the projector into the low beam opening, make sure that it is right side up and that it is as level as possible.

Install the H7 adaptor plate and then the locking nut, be careful not to strip the threads. Attach the bulb holder mechanism.

Alignment

Phew, almost done. Now you have to go test the alignment. If you haven't installed your HIDs yet, there go down a bit and read my brief guide and then come back here. Pop the reflector back into the headlight housing but leave the lens off. Go to your car and install the headlight. Ideally your car needs to be on a flat surface facing a wall about 20 feet away. Turn on your lights and take a look at the cut off pattern.

You may need to rotate the projector slightly clockwise or counterclockwise if the cut off is slanting.

You need to have your cut off going in a slight downward angle (towards the ground) from the car. Too much of a downward angle means you may only see 10 feet in front of your car (which is bad). If it is going in an upward angle it will blind the living hell out of everyone. You have angle adjustment controls in the car by the headlight switch, use them and find them best angle. If you do not have these controls OR if they cannot give you a useable angle you will have to do some 'MacGyver'ing'. You can get some standard metal washers and put them between the H7 Adapter plate and reflector to angle the projector appropriately.

High Beam Solenoid

Once you have it properly aligned it's time to wrap this project up. But first you will need to do some soldering. Solder the projectors hi-beam solenoid wires to the existing highbeam wires. It is just a matter of positive solenoid to positive high beam and negative solenoid to negative highbeam.

Note: All the ground wires in the headlight housing are daisy chained together. So the singular wire going to the high beam locking mechanism is the positive wire.

Resealing

We're on the home stretch now! To prepare the headlight for re-sealing you need to remove as much left over sealant from the lens and headlight housing as you can. You can gently heat up the sealent and use a blade or pliers or any tool you prefer to remove AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. Otherwise the excess sealant will prevent your lens from sitting on the headlight housing like it did before. Test to make sure the lens sits nicely before moving onto the next step.

Now to seal I used roof/gutter sealent a.k.a rubber butyl and clear silicone. You can get both of these in cartridge form at any home improvement store for under 10 dollars. Fill the headlight housing channel with rubber butyl all the way around. About 1/2 cm thick.

Place the lens on to the housing. Now like you did before, working in sections of about 6 inches. Heat up the headlight housing and bend back the plastic to surround the lens again. Careful not to heat it up too much or you will melt it.

Use spring clamps on areas that you have completed to help keep the lens in place. Keep working around until the housing is molded into shape. Keep the clamps in place and let it set for about 12 hours.

When you come back 12 hours later, get some clear silicone and apply it over the areas that were 'manipulated'. Then smooth it over with your finger (in a latex glove preferable). This will give you a second layer of seal and protection. You can give your self a third layer by duct taping the edges too.

Now you are done! Hopefully you end up with somehing like this:

HOW TO INSTALL THE HIDs - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303974

Last edited by Chickenmuffn; 12-09-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Slo86GT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88885
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Slo86GT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Looks fabulous, but the way you manhandle the plastic ridge makes me cringe a bit inside. >.<
- Jody -
Old 12-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Chickenmuffn
Focus Enthusiast

It's not the prettiest thing. But during the resealing process everything gets moulded back into shape.

It's coated in silicone but it looks more or less normal.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 12-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
michaelwb
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105890
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 michaelwb Good Standing Member
Good work! Looks awesome. Only thing I'm not sure about is the ridged projector surround. Were there other choices?
Old 12-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
misfire

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

FF Reputation: 31 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Great write up !

Sent from my iPhone 5 using FF Mobile
Old 12-09-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

Fan#: 103240
What I Drive: 2000 Atlantic Blue LX

FF Reputation: 4 calebstubstad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
TRS has a ton of shroud options. smooth, patterned, cutout ones (to let light through at certain points), etc. theres like 20 different shroud choices probably lol. just not all of em fit all the projectors they have
Rally Revolution #43
[HOONIGAN]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
Not the bear the zoo deserves, but the bear the zoo needs.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:14 AM   #7
Chickenmuffn
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwb View Post
Good work! Looks awesome. Only thing I'm not sure about is the ridged projector surround. Were there other choices?
The shroud I used is the one that comes automatically with the Morimoto Mini H1 Projectors, its called the mini gatling shroud.

I, unfortunately, think it is the only one that will fit. This shroud is very compact and I think it is the smallest. Between the reflector and the shroud I had about 1/2 cm of clearance on the top and bottom.

Last edited by Chickenmuffn; 12-09-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93444
What I Drive: 2013 Rallye Red Civic Si

FF Reputation: 2 Bwill9886 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmuffn View Post
The shroud I used is the one that comes automatically with the Morimoto Mini H1 Projectors, its called the mini gatling shroud.

I, unfortunately, think it is the only one that will fit. This shroud is very compact and I think it is the smallest. Between the reflector and the shroud I had about 1/2 cm of clearance on the top and bottom.
Yeah, the first person to document a projector retrofit on here (craigfocus) found out the hard way that there just isn't any room with the H1 kit.

He tried a different shroud first and ended up going the same route you did.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
Chickenmuffn
Focus Enthusiast

It's a shame really. I really do like the GTi shroud that TRS offers. I put it on my old protege 5 and it looked great.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
I've opened numerous headlights before and have always used the oven. About 10mins at 200-250 and you just peel the two sections apart like butter. No need to go and destroy the plastic channel or have to go through all that work and effort with a heat gun doing a section at a time. I know the oven sounds scary but let me point out that the heatgun is like 1,100 degrees Fahrenheit (593 degrees Celsius).

Bookmarks & Social Networks