My DCT Experience - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
JAKERR
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94836
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SFE

FF Reputation: 1 JAKERR Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My DCT Experience

Hey everyone, first post after lurking for months! Sorry if i seem like a broken record; just wanted to share my experience with my 2012 focus that I bought in September of 2012. It's an SFE package and after a couple of days I noticed the infamous grinding noise. My dealership was concerned and replaced the clutches/clutch assembly. It still made the noise after this. The dealership got a ford engineer to come in and he deemed it as normal behavior. So from then on my original dealer would not touch my focus. I got a second opinion from another ford dealer early this year. They didn't know how to fix it so they brought in another engineer who again said it was normal. So after months of living with the grind I took my car in last week for a crunching noise i sometimes heard. I asked the service depot to check out why my car was vibrating and shuddering at take off. Got a call today saying my entire clutch assembly needed to be replaced AGAIN. so in the past year I have gotten my clutches replaced TWICE! I really love my car and its gas mileage but am questioning if I have to replace clutches every year. I have also had 2 work cases with a Ford CSM.

Last edited by JAKERR; 12-18-2012 at 01:32 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKERR View Post
Hey everyone, first post after lurking for months! Sorry if i seem like a broken record; just wanted to share my experience with my 2012 focus that I bought in September of 2012. It's an SFE package and after a couple of days I noticed the infamous grinding noise. My dealership was concerned and replaced the clutches/clutch assembly. It still made the noise after this. The dealership got a ford engineer to come in and he deemed it as normal behavior. So from then on my original dealer would not touch my focus. I got a second opinion from another ford dealer early this year. They didn't know how to fix it so they brought in another engineer who again said it was normal. So after months of living with the grind I took my car in last week for a crunching noise i sometimes heard. I asked the service depot to check out why my car was vibrating and shuddering at take off. Got a call today saying my entire clutch assembly needed to be replaced AGAIN. so in the past year I have gotten my clutches replaced TWICE! I really love my car and its gas mileage but am questioning if I have to replace clutches every year. I have also had 2 work cases with a ford CSM. Sorry for the long post but just sharing my woes.
It might be a minor inconvenience right now, but after the warranty is over that's going to be a *huge* cost problem if they don't figure it out. Imagine having to replace the clutches once every year or two for the life of the car.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
JAKERR
Focus Rookie

Exactly. I talked to my service dealer who said at my current mileage (13,000) I am covered under warranty but when I hit closer to 30,000 it will get harder for Ford to pay for the repair.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
gostinger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44867
What I Drive: 2013 SE Black Pack Loaded 5 Spd MTX

FF Reputation: 1 gostinger Good Standing Member
I feel your pain. I am in the process of arbitration and building my case. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
Woggy64
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104328
What I Drive: '12 Ti 5dr with sport pkg & sunroof

Points 758, Level 14
Points: 758, Level: 14 Points: 758, Level: 14 Points: 758, Level: 14
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Woggy64 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Exactly. I talked to my service dealer who said at my current mileage (13,000) I am covered under warranty but when I hit closer to 30,000 it will get harder for Ford to pay for the repair.
You should not have to pay anything until you hit 36,000.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 4,204, Level 41
Points: 4,204, Level: 41 Points: 4,204, Level: 41 Points: 4,204, Level: 41
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Hey everyone, first post after lurking for months! Sorry if i seem like a broken record; just wanted to share my experience with my 2012 focus that I bought in September of 2012. It's an SFE package and after a couple of days I noticed the infamous grinding noise. My dealership was concerned and replaced the clutches/clutch assembly. It still made the noise after this. The dealership got a ford engineer to come in and he deemed it as normal behavior. So from then on my original dealer would not touch my focus. I got a second opinion from another ford dealer early this year. They didn't know how to fix it so they brought in another engineer who again said it was normal. So after months of living with the grind I took my car in last week for a crunching noise i sometimes heard. I asked the service depot to check out why my car was vibrating and shuddering at take off. Got a call today saying my entire clutch assembly needed to be replaced AGAIN. so in the past year I have gotten my clutches replaced TWICE! I really love my car and its gas mileage but am questioning if I have to replace clutches every year. I have also had 2 work cases with a ford CSM. Sorry for the long post but just sharing my woes.
Do you know if the seals were leaking (and were replaced) in the second repair?

One possibility:

The "grinding" noise (I call it rattling) seems to be harmless so the first clutch didn't need to be replaced (the noise was still present with the new clutch).

The second clutch was replaced because of oil contamination caused by a bad seal. That is why I asked if any seals were replaced.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:10 AM   #7
JAKERR
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Do you know if the seals were leaking (and were replaced) in the second repair?

One possibility:

The "grinding" noise (I call it rattling) seems to be harmless so the first clutch didn't need to be replaced (the noise was still present with the new clutch).

The second clutch was replaced because of oil contamination caused by a bad seal. That is why I asked if any seals were replaced.
No seals have gone bad in my focus. I'm not saying the grinding/rattling noise is bad; I've seen the video from Ford saying why it makes a noise and that it's normal behavior and have heard from numerous Ford techs saying it's normal. I'm more concerned because my car has essentially destroyed two sets of clutches already in only 13,000 miles of driving. Like I said, there's no bad seals which makes me even more concerned.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Quote:
No seals have gone bad in my focus. I'm not saying the grinding/rattling noise is bad; I've seen the video from Ford saying why it makes a noise and that it's normal behavior and have heard from numerous Ford techs saying it's normal. I'm more concerned because my car has essentially destroyed two sets of clutches already in only 13,000 miles of driving. Like I said, there's no bad seals which makes me even more concerned.
I think it is time to trade your focus in while it still has some trade in value.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:51 AM   #9
JAKERR
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
I think it is time to trade your focus in while it still has some trade in value.
Unfortunately, I think that is what will end up happening. After two repairs on the clutches, I don't know if I want to wait to see if there will be a third time.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:13 AM   #10
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 4,204, Level 41
Points: 4,204, Level: 41 Points: 4,204, Level: 41 Points: 4,204, Level: 41
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

From what you can determine, was the first clutch really bad?

How bad was the shuddering before the second clutch was replaced?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.