Cold Air Intakes - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
kburt0
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107104
What I Drive: 2002 Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 kburt0 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Cold Air Intakes

I recently acquired a 2002 ZX5 that had a number of issues with the intake system. The housing was completely trashed (multiple cracks and breaks in the plastic) and as a result the MAF was a mess. I had assumed that it would be no problem to get that replaced, but I quickly found that there was no way to purchase that part from a parts dealer. It seems that the only thing that anyone will sell me is a performance intake system, most of which cost in the $130 range.

I didn't really want to pay that and, after getting what I now expect was terrible advice from a mechanic friend, I ended up getting a $40 cold air intake system from ebay. I know that there are debates all over the internet about whether or not these actually increase performance, but what I really want to know is will it work at least as well as the stock intake? I'd hate to think I wasted my money on this (though I suspect I did) but if that is the case, does anyone have any suggestions for a lower-priced option for replacing an intake system? Thanks in advance for the assistance. I can tell already that I'm going to be on this site a lot!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
katiekay
ɔᴉʇɐuɐℲ snɔoℲ

Fan#: 42025
What I Drive: 03 CD Silver ZX5

Points 11,415, Level 70
Points: 11,415, Level: 70 Points: 11,415, Level: 70 Points: 11,415, Level: 70
Level Up 42% Completed
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 59 katiekay Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (48)
to FF

You wasted your money, an eBay system is no better if not worse than the OEM airbox. Best bet would be to get an SVT airbox and snorkel with a K&N panel filter.

If your really not looking for performance, I suggest posting an ad in the WTB section for a stock airbox. Lot's of us on here have one of those just lying around(including me)
Hatch Nation #8
September 2012 Ride of the Month
Old 12-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
redSVT_03
Focus Addict

Fan#: 78206
What I Drive: 2003 red SVTF

Points 2,489, Level 30
Points: 2,489, Level: 30 Points: 2,489, Level: 30 Points: 2,489, Level: 30
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 redSVT_03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
just go to a junk yard and pull one off one of the many foci they will have. the box comes out by pulling straight up on it
Old 12-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
Tymes
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94124
What I Drive: 02 SE SOHC SPI

FF Reputation: 8 Tymes Good Standing Member
Before throwing the CAI option out, can you post a pic of it. I bought a cheaper one and use it as a short ram, i doubt it gives any HP at all, but my fuel mileage did go up.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
sam fisher
I hate dents!

Fan#: 103137
What I Drive: 2006 silver zx4 ses

Points 4,176, Level 41
Points: 4,176, Level: 41 Points: 4,176, Level: 41 Points: 4,176, Level: 41
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 sam fisher Good Standing Member
id like to see it also

Sent from my N860 using FF Mobile
Old 12-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
kburt0
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107104
What I Drive: 2002 Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 kburt0 Good Standing Member
Here's the link to the one that I purchased. Let me know if you think there's any way I can salvage it!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-FOCUS-2...c81ec2&vxp=mtr
Old 12-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
Tymes
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94124
What I Drive: 02 SE SOHC SPI

FF Reputation: 8 Tymes Good Standing Member
It could be cut down to make a short ram, your MAF is far enough away from the bend. For mine I cut the tube about half way thru the bend so that my filter would sit right above where the OEM snorkel tube comes up. I also have a crankcase vent tube on mine, but I drilled a hole and added a nipple for that (some people just add a separate vent filter).

If you modify (if you haven't already) the plastic trim between the grill and the top of the radiator, it will get plenty of air, its just at an idle that the intake air temp will start to rise, but once you start moving it drops down pretty quick. It's workable. At the very least it would get you mobile again till you get what you want. The thing you don't want to trust is the filter itself, if you do decide to keep this, get yourself an AEM or K&N dryflow (either one, they are really the same company now).
Old 12-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,590, Level 98
Points: 27,590, Level: 98 Points: 27,590, Level: 98 Points: 27,590, Level: 98
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You can also try keeping an eye in our Buy, Sell, Trade forum in the future and you'll find what you need or want. You won't be able to post anything for sale until you have 25 posts, but you can contact and purchase something if you have a PayPal account, or the seller is willing to wait on a check/MO.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.