2012 SE-L Complete Shut Off While Driving - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
Cornfuzzled
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115705
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 Cornfuzzled Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 SE-L Complete Shut Off While Driving

Howdy folks, I'm hoping that you guys are able to help me out. I'm having a pretty serious issue with my 2012 SE-L. First, some facts and history:

Car has 47,xxx miles
snorkel delete
K&N Air Filter.

About 2 months ago, I took the car to my local Ford delearship for a firmware update on the touch screen, as I was having all sorts of issues with the radio buttons and AC. When I got it back, MyTouch worked great, but when I would turn the key to start it, it would take between 3-10 seconds to actually start. Otherwise, the car worked fine. No big issue. I talked to the Ford service department, they were willing to keep it and take a look at it. But with my work schedule as it is, it's difficult to be without my car for a few days.

Well, the other day, I allowed my friend to use my car, and she told me that twice in one drive that she would be driving and the car interior lights would flash, then it would completely shut down. She would have come to a full and complete stop, put the car in park, and restart the car.

First instance: Just after turning right from one main road to another in town, under accelleration, at approxomately 40-45mph, she reported all dash lights started flashing rapidly, then all power was off. No lights, no motor, nothing. Car completely died. She was able to coast to the side of the road. Put the car into drive, and was able to re-start and carry on.

Second instance: a couple hours later, while almost home in line at a stop sign. Completely stopped, the cars started doing the standard slow and stop up to the sign, let off the brake, slightly onto the gas, and the lights flashed, all power died. She again had to go into park and restart the car.

I called the Ford Roadside Assistance and the car was towed back to the Ford delearship, where I just got the run-around about how since they were able to start the car, there is no issue. Only that the tire pressure light was on.

Has anyone else seen this type of issue before?

This is my daily commuter car, and I take my 4 year old with me all of the time. I don't want to be on the freeway at 70mph and have all power shut off on me!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
Squad-G
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 141457
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red Hatchback Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Squad-G Good Standing Member
Did they check the alternator, the battery or the PCM ?
Old 07-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
Cornfuzzled
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115705
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 Cornfuzzled Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squad-G View Post
Did they check the alternator, the battery or the PCM ?
The dealer just called. They said they found several "intermittent alternator codes". Then told me the alternator (part # cv6z10346b) was $450, and total with install was $896.

I've called around a bit, and two shops can do the install for $65 if I supply the alternator. Is there a reputable part store you guys can suggest I buy from?
Old 07-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
block
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 133889
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 block Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I noticed there are some places online that sell ford parts, google it.
$450..ouch...my 1999 (V6 engine) contour's cost $500 or more installed last Fall (cheap rebuilt in china alternator-Arg!). wheel well liner, CV joint; etc had to be removed to get to it is why - lots of labor. I assume the focus is similar seeing how expensive your quote is.

I saw a thread where 2012's had an issue where they'd suddenly die like this, so I suggest you search. I cant recall the particulars.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
Squad-G
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 141457
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red Hatchback Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Squad-G Good Standing Member
Check in a scrap yard for the alternator.. you may find a cheap one that is not really used a lot (low km).
Old 07-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #6
Jeffero28
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 119295
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 Jeffero28 Good Standing Member
If Ford is aware of an issue and they feel it is serious hopefully they will issue a recall. Last thing we need is a GM type situation where people have to die before things get fixed.

I have an 12 SEL with 49k miles but without the MFT. Have had the firmware update to get the 4 way split screen on the trip computer.

Never had this particular problem but I did have to get a new battery recently. And did notice a few seconds lag on startup prior to the battery going kaput.

Seems odd that it went from being perfectly fine to completely dead in a matter of two months since it was last serviced. The dealer says the alternator is working fine.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #7
TooOld
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 128586
What I Drive: 2014 Sterling Grey SE

FF Reputation: 3 TooOld Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornfuzzled View Post
The dealer just called. They said they found several "intermittent alternator codes". Then told me the alternator (part # cv6z10346b) was $450, and total with install was $896.

I've called around a bit, and two shops can do the install for $65 if I supply the alternator. Is there a reputable part store you guys can suggest I buy from?
That's wild. Maybe I've just been lucky over the years with respect to alternators, but I've never replaced an alternator on any vehicle. Be it 1 mile or 200k miles on the odometer.

It's a poorly designed alternator in the Focuses. No way a car this small, albeit with a healthy amount of electrical and electronics, should ever have an alternator fail. You may want to make sure it's not a Ford OEM (Visteon?) as a replacement.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOld View Post

It's a poorly designed alternator in the Focuses. No way a car this small, albeit with a healthy amount of electrical and electronics, should ever have an alternator fail.
Have you concluded that the alternator is poorly designed based on one post that said that a dealer "found several intermittent alternator codes"?

What exactly is the failure rate of the alternator?
Old 07-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #9
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
I had a 94 Civic that started giving me alternator problems. After a bench test of the alternator (turned out to be fine) the culprit ended up being a couple corroded wires. Your best (cheapest) bet would be to have your alternator bench tested by somebody other than Ford and rebuilt if necessary.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 07-07-2014, 12:13 PM   #10
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Good troubleshooting requires an open mind.
It's best not to simply follow the herd and fixate on one part (the alternator in this case).

To the OP: Do you have instrument cluster lights that are steadily lit (MIL, generator, etc.)?

I would suggest that you may have a bad battery or battery connection.

Bookmarks & Social Networks