Transmission fluid leak? Cv axle seal? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
katiefsu
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107044
What I Drive: 2004 White Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 katiefsu Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Transmission fluid leak? Cv axle seal?

Hello I recently had to have my transmission rebuilt when it broke down on me last week. I have had the car for a week and noticed a small puddle of some sort of liquid underneath the transmission, I assume its transmission fluid. The fluid is all over the surrounding area but appears to be originating from the connection between the cv axle and the transmission. I have checked both the transmission fluid and oil and both appear to still be full.
Could it be that the seal was not re attached properly or damaged when they were putting the rebuilt transmission back in?
Also on the inside of the front left wheel there is a different leak of a very thick jet black substance, alot of it. This appears to be coming from the cv boot. I never noticed this before and have had my car checked out multiple times recently for different issues. Could this issue also be related to the transmission rebuild and reattaching of it?
I will be going in tomorrow morning to the place where I had the transmission done and would appreciate it if any one could give me more information so I go in knowledgable about the issue.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
The CV's have to be removed to remove the trans. So yes, it may be related.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
katiefsu
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107044
What I Drive: 2004 White Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 katiefsu Good Standing Member
Thank you for the speedy response. If you or anyone else has any more information if my assumptions make sense or if this is a common issue i would appreciate it. thanks
Old 12-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #4
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
People working in a hurry sometimes nick the trans/CV seal when putting axles back in. Same with the other lube which could be coming from a nick or cut in a rubber boot. They throw the axles around in a hurry when they should be being careful with the axles on account of the rubber boots. Happens all the time, good help is hard to find.

Bookmarks & Social Networks