Wheel bearings - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
briqua
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107021
What I Drive: 2003

FF Reputation: 1 briqua Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wheel bearings

Perhaps someone could advise me here. I had nearly lost one rear wheel due to wheel bearing going without any noise noticed. I had to have brakes, bearings etc replaced. A month later the wheel bearings were worn again and replaced under warranty. 2 months later had them replaced again under warranty. Struts and springs werealso replaced as they said that was what was causing it, although I never noticed a problem with it. Then the bearings went again and the garage said they would upgrade the bearings as they figured they were faulty. Now I have one side on the rear gone again. Going back into the garage on Friday to let them look at it. Has anyone any idea what could be happening. They also had to replace a wheel bearing on the front. Tyre was worn out in an unusual pattern and it was a new tyre. Replaced the tyre again - no more problem. BUT I hear a noise every time the car corners like I have huge tyres on the front. Seems to sound like it is coming from the drivers side only. I am also getting a vibration on the accelerator pedal when the car is running. I am starting to feel like the wheels are going to fall off even though I am told everything is fine. I had the work done under warranty but the last time I had to take it in they said if it went again it was my driving. I have been driving for over 40 years and have never had to replace wheel bearings on any car or truck I have driven.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
I would guess the shop is buying bad bearings. Are they using Ford products? or some 'supplier's unknown stuff.
If the company they are buying from has a pile of no good black market bearings, then every bearing they send over is going to be the same bad junk.
That is my thinking.
Then it may be the mechanic is an idiot?
Usually when someplace seems incapable of doing anything right.. Time to find some OTHER PLACE to get work done.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
briqua
Focus Rookie

Wheel bearings

The unfortunate thing is that the wheel bearings and brakes are under warranty as long as I own the car, so unless I take it back to the same place every time I have to pay again. I am seriously thinking of buying Ford wheel bearings and taking them in with me. That way I won't get the junk.
They did say that the first two sets had to be rejects and would send them back to their dealer and get their refund and this time they would install more expensive ones. Then they commented that they have never had wheel bearings go three times before in such a short time and that if these went that they would put it down to my driving........ I avoid pot holes, do not brake hard, nor do I speed unless its required for safety. I don't carry a lot of weight, usually just myself and my dog. I have always treated my car with respect and drive defensively, always keeping my distance. I drive approx 500 kms a week, to work and back, most of it country driving and the rest motorway.
I wonder what excuse they will give me this time. They also installed a wheel bearing on the front drivers side. I have told them repeatedly there is a noise there too when I turn the wheel. Very noticeable at slow speeds. I had that checked (at a different garage) before switching to snow tyres and they told me there was no play in the wheel. The snow tyres exaggerate the noise.
Once again they told me there was nothing wrong. Now I feel a vibration on the gas pedal. I have been so pleased with this car until the first problem with the wheel nearly falling off. Seems to have been one problem after another since then.

Sometimes I wonder if has been worth all the money I have had to put into it. One good thing is the engine is great!!!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 22 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Motorcraft, Timken, SKF are the be all end all for bearings in our cars.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 12-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
Blue5ive
R.I.P Kona

Fan#: 83941
What I Drive: 2003 TW Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 9 Blue5ive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Also be aware with all these bearings going bad your spindle could be damaged such as scoring of the smooth surface. If so this will cause just about every bearing to fail you put on. Just another possibility.
Hatch Nation #9
"2 by 2 Hands of Blue."
Old 12-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Three times with wheel bearings, I might go for a lemon law refund.

It is tempting to buy cheap ore bearings at a fraction of the cost.

It is also common for mechanics to press bearings on wrong, and cause their premature death by peening the balls into the races during installation. (I have worked as a mechanic on cars and industrial machinery for 15 yrs, at least half the mechanics I have worked with over the years press bearings on wrong)
Old 12-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Grumpy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43791
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 28 Grumpy Great Standing Member
briqua.......you need to bite the bullet and find yourself another shop because your present one is totally inept, and full of it. Shock/struts/springs will not cause a bearing to fail. The rear wheel bearing on these cars is a double row tapered roller and it ain't that delicate in normal service. Was the spindle ever checked for indications of inner race "spinning"? It's possible they are damaging a new bearing when they install/press it in the drum. Does the bearing outer race have an interference fit with the drum? It should have. Did they ever install a new drum "assembly" (bought with the bearing already installed) and have it fail? Considering that you also have noise from a front wheel where they also did a bearing replacement (which is more complex a job than a rear bearing replacement), this shop is repeatedly missing something and/or simply does not know how to do the job/s. I wouldn't trust them.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Shock/struts/springs will not cause a bearing to fail.
the shop might have suggested that to the OP just to recoup some of their losses. Wouldn't be the first time a customer is indirectly charged for "free" warranty work.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:58 AM   #9
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Make sure they are not tightening the center nut with an air wrench, it needs to be done by hand on a problem vehicle like that to ensure done right. The nut must pull up to the 175-200 ft.lbs. correctly. Some idiots think wheel torque air wrench settings are enough for bearings, not so. Make sure they don't use one of the 90 day warranty bearings, the brands mentioned above are good ones. I've seen 90 day ones with absolutely no grease inside when they failed in one day.

I have even put those bearings in hubs and on spindles with a hammer only no press at all and never had a problem, but I know how to do it. Somebody incompetent is working on the car, all the warranty in the world won't help you there. Struts and springs have nothing to do with bearing going out. Sounds like to me your driving is sedate enough to not have anything to do with it.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #10
briqua
Focus Rookie

Wheel bearings

Thanks for that info. This is a "reputable" garage I am dealing with. Seems I have been taken for a ride. When the wheel bearing went on the car the wheel nearly came off on a major highway. There was no noise to warn me of the impending problem. The rear end of the car just started swaying from side to side. I managed to get the car to this garage under my own steam, driving it about 10kms to get there. By the time I got there the wheel was just hanging in there and the brakes on the one side were ruined. They installed new complete drum assemblies on both sides. They did show me the spindle on the damaged side and it was not looking good.They told me they installed complete new drum assemblies on both sides. It was only a month after having all this replaced that the wheel bearings went.

They also said that once the plastic protecting the coil spring was falling off it meant the springs were getting weak. Is that wrong as well???

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->