what mods are needed before forced induction? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-17-2004, 07:35 PM   #1
cgstrong2002
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15620
What I Drive: 2002 Dark Shadow Gray ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 cgstrong2002 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
what mods are needed before forced induction?

I was just wondering what mods are needed before adding a blower or supercharger to my ZTS. My drivetrain is compleatley stock.
Oh I suppose I should tell you that it is an automatic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2004, 09:07 PM   #2
imprtslyr0223
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7861
What I Drive: 2005 Impreza RS

FF Reputation: 1 imprtslyr0223 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
do you have the atx??? it also depends on how serious you plan on getting. im not entirely sure how much the mtx can hold but i think its over 200hp. but i think most people would suggest either building up the engine depending on how much you wanna boost it (cams, pistons, rods, cam gears, etc.) and then replacing the clutch and other stuff. im no pro by any means but that should give you a little help i hope. but actually since i just noticed that you have no mods at all, i would suggest getting an exhaust and starting with other things first.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:14 PM   #3
Flip_Lx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6401
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus Zx5

Points 738, Level 14
Points: 738, Level: 14 Points: 738, Level: 14 Points: 738, Level: 14
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Flip_Lx Good Standing Member
stupidly you could just go bolt it straight up. but if you want to drive for more than a week your going to want to make sure your tranny will handle it and rebuild it if it wont~this is where a new clutch for a manual comes in~. you will aslo want to get some sort of forged internals(unless you want to toy with it just very small amounts of boost).

also the basic premods will also work since most involve increasing your airflow
#2022 R.I.P. 12-17-04
2004 SVTF CD Silver Zx5 #857
Old 11-18-2004, 01:03 AM   #4
2Slik
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10467
What I Drive: 2000, Cloud 9, ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 2Slik Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Internals i wonder about. Somewhere i read someone say that on tom's kit internals were good for up to 330 hp, that sounds nuts to me but i don't have 330 hp so i couldn't say for sure.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:29 PM   #5
_RED_
Sonic's MK3 Crew #02

Fan#: 10712
What I Drive: 2014 Fiesta ST

Points 36,102, Level 100
Points: 36,102, Level: 100 Points: 36,102, Level: 100 Points: 36,102, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 2 _RED_ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The stock internals will be fine because the stocl JRSC only pushes 6-7 psi, your tranny you might want t oupgrade because youll pretty close to its max power. you can have the JRSC on a stock car but for the best gains you should get header flex pipe and a catback
Moderator: Third Generation Ford Focus, DURATEC Ti-VCT GDI Performance Chat & Florida regional section
Old 11-18-2004, 06:28 PM   #6
PapoSwing
Regulator...mount up

Fan#: 3062
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVT

Points 5,842, Level 49
Points: 5,842, Level: 49 Points: 5,842, Level: 49 Points: 5,842, Level: 49
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 28 PapoSwing Great Standing Member
I'm thinking about getting either the JRSC or the Powerworks (when it comes out) for my SVTF. What EXACTLY do I need for it to be reliable? Can you guys just make a list of the different components that would need to be upgraded and what company you guys suggest I should get them from? For example where should I get the new clutch from, etc.

I just think making a list of the things that need to be upgraded would help us out more! thanks guys!
Old 11-19-2004, 01:50 AM   #7
slyfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9393
FF Reputation: 1 slyfocus Good Standing Member
well with most BASE kits you really need nothing assuming you have a manual tranny.
however having mods already in place will make more power.
reliability is a question of product quality and tuning.

for SC kits a big tube race header like the Kamikaze and a 2.5" flex and exhaust are best for power. on a SVT, get an ORP, just leave it or swap to the big tube and sell your stock header, flex and cat.....people will give you more than waht switching to a Kam header and 2.5" flex will cost you. most SVT exhausts are already 2.5"
you do not want a 2.25" or 3" exhaust on a SC.
2.25" is too restrictive above 165+fwhp and 3" will do nothing for you.

Tom did 300+ on stock internals although he spent countless hours on the dyno to do so.
Stock internals with a good tune will handle 230fwhp reliably in a ZX3 no problem, 260-reliable-fwhp is possible but your tune needs to be PERFECT! the rods in the Zetec are the usual weak link with serious damage resulting however you can eat pistons with mild problems aswell.

the SVT can do 300fwhp with a good tune. however with a spotty tune, expect the pistons to be the weak link.

good things to upgrade:
clutch
flywheel
Quaife
cam gears for tuning

things to stay away from with SCs:
TBs on JRSCs... heat issues will cause the spring to weaking prematurely
UDP's KILL BOOST!
run a stock pully or a FC boost upgrade pully with propper tuning adjustments

Papo,
-a FC ORP
-any 2.5" SVT exhaust
-clutch&flywheel: ZX3tuning just got Clutchnet to make SVT clutches(2.3L units are in the works) to match their Zetec clutches. they have a huge list of differnt clutch discs and even have a Zetec SVT flywheel which has a bit more wieght than the FS units which is better for a FI application.
-a cam gear for the exhaust cam will help with tuning. Stay away from any gears with less than 4 adjuster bolts. i suggest FC, FR or the new Kents from FS.
stay away from the old kents, they have wear issues.

the biggest thing is GET IT TUNED PROPPERLY!
get a REAL MIC! propperly sized injectors, MAF and tuning will be the biggest investment in reliability.

Visual info while driving is also important... GUAGES
for FI, the more info you have while driving the safer you will be.
EGT, oil press, coolant temp, wideband o2, and boost should all be on the short list of things to have or be the next things to buy.

a J&S safegaurd is a good investment if you are pushing serious power even with propper tuning!
Old 11-19-2004, 10:51 PM   #8
PapoSwing
Regulator...mount up

Fan#: 3062
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVT

Points 5,842, Level 49
Points: 5,842, Level: 49 Points: 5,842, Level: 49 Points: 5,842, Level: 49
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 28 PapoSwing Great Standing Member
Very good response thanks. A couple more questions.

Would this sound good ( for the ones with a ? please suggest who to get it from)

1. 2.5" SVT exhaust- Borla

2. Clutch- ?

3. Flywheel- Focus Sport

4. Cam Gear for Exhaust- Focus Sport

5. Quaife ATB Differential- Focus Sport

6. Injectors- lbs?

I was also thinking of getting a FocusSport Cool-Flo Air Intake System, 65mm SVT Throttle Body, 8mm Focus Sport wires, Denso Irridium plugs, VF Engineering mounts (apart from the rear mount I don't know which one else sould be good). Would all these be good compliments for either SC?
Old 11-19-2004, 11:38 PM   #9
SceviourZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 438
What I Drive: '00 ZX3 CD Silver

FF Reputation: 1 SceviourZX3 Good Standing Member
first you want reliability, then go with the power adders.

if its an atx, it will need some beef depending on the power. Tom Lesperance swear by the lentech built atx. that's an option.

in the long haul you will get more power out of a turbo then a s/c. but a turbo will be more matenice.

i assume its the zts, so you got the zetec. its a strong motor. so as long as you blue print what you want an what your looking for power wise, an relability. then you can get better help or suggestions. take the time an the money do it the right way, or dont do it at all.

2000 Focus ZX3

T3/t03 Airsearch turbo, Custom Manifold,Downpipe,intercooler piping, Spearco Intercooler, Greddy Type-S BOV,Turbonetics Delta gate 35mm,Stainless Oil lines/fittings, FC 65mm TB, Ported 00 intake manifold, Port/Polished head, Rage Adj Camgears, Esslinger Undedrive Pulley, SVT Pedals, Short Shifter, KYB GR-2 Struts, AR 5 Spoke Chromies,Ventus Rubber, Tein Springs,Xenon bodykit, Hella Headlight conversion, kaminari Carbon Fiber Hood, Kaminari Rear Wing, Shorty Billet Antenna
Old 11-20-2004, 05:10 AM   #10
slyfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9393
FF Reputation: 1 slyfocus Good Standing Member
Papo,

1. Exhaust sounds is a matter of preference.
some like different things abotu different exhaust so looks and style should also be factored into it.
i personally like the sound of Magnaflow Mufflers and Res' on a Zetec.

2. i'm getting a Clutchnet Clutch from ZX3tuning. Fibre-Carbon Pro disc and type-1 Pressure plate should be good for most people. if you plan on pushing serious power and being hard on the clutch(racing), the EZ-Lock Pro 6-Button disc with the Type-1 or 1X(for serious power) would be a good package.

3. i'm currently running the FS Zetec flywheel but it's too light at 8.5lbs for a FI application so i will be switching to the Clutchnet flywheel which is 11lbs.
the FS SVT flywheel is 12.5lbs and the Clutchnet unit is 13lbs, not much of a difference but i think the Clutchnet flywheel is cheaper by like $25???

4. like i said, FC, FR or the new light weight kents.
pick based on the color/style you like.
i like the FC's as they have the most range of adjustment, the FRs would be next and the FS has the least amount of adjustment but are lighter than the others.

5. as far as i'm concerned, quaife is the ONLY way to go. there is no equal to a quaife LSD. plus it's hard to top a limited lifetime warrenty that even covers Racing abused!

6. what kit are you looking at? most good kits already come with injectors. but if you are planning on going wild i usually suggest people look at this thread: http://forums.clubfocus.net/viewtopic.php?t=20258 so they can figure it out on their own based on the power they want to push and why you need a certain size injector for that power.

it depends on the SC you go with but the extra mods you listed are a good idea in general.
depending on which SC you go with you may not need certain mods or they may not be usable or suggested for that application.

and yes, if anyone is planning on adding FI to an Auto, you should beef up the auto tranny BEFORE you add the FI!

hope that helps some people!!

Papo,
PM me and i can help you figure it all out if you like.

Bookmarks & Social Networks