toms tune what everyone should know - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #41
mikebontoft
Derpy Cheetah

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,350, Level 93
Points: 23,350, Level: 93 Points: 23,350, Level: 93 Points: 23,350, Level: 93
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
after trying to type something up earlier on my phone only to have it freeze up both times (I mean, seriously?) I'm gonna give it one more go.

I just don't think you really understand what Tom is asking you to do. Also, the fact that you got a piece of junk, defective tuner from Xcal doesn't make it Tom's fault and bad service. Take it up with Xcal, they should set you straight. Can't just sit on your butt and wait for someone to make it all right. And seriously though, I know it sucks to not have your car running correctly... especially with the crappy luck of a defective tuner, but keep on it and it will be worth it.

and to make it fair..... I'm only making this judgement based on the evidence I've seen in the thread, not because it's Tom. I'd say the same for anyone in this position.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
    Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #42
Black00ZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 104714
What I Drive: '12 Silver Focus

FF Reputation: 3 Black00ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Why not just let him fix the problem and then complain if he doesnt follow through.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #43
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 18,104, Level 85
Points: 18,104, Level: 85 Points: 18,104, Level: 85 Points: 18,104, Level: 85
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Pasta,

It is somewhat known that the SVT can be problematic to tune. If you search around you'll find others who have had issues tuning them; and others have worked flawlessly. No one, that is Tom or any of the staff at SCT, can tell you if your car will be problematic before tuning is attempted. Really wish someone was able to because it would save a lot of headache.

Now that you, and we, know your car is a problem child, it is in your best interest to contact SCT and see if they are willing to help. Tom has limited capabilities in comparison. SCT may be able to update or repair the Xcal via specific updates or remotely connecting to your PC and adjusting the Xcal (not your car).
I do know of instances where they were able to repair the device W/O sending it in and only took an hour or so.

FWIW, the reason the SVT has issues while the other Focus's don't is that the SVT uses a different style of ECU from a different manufacturer. The problems aren't limited to just the Focus either, it's the entire SVT lineup being all of them use ECU's from the same supplier.

Anyways, take the time to calm down and call for help. Odds are it'll work out and things will all fall into place and work as they should.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #44
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

Points 2,218, Level 28
Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 12 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I'll share my tune story. A few days after I got my SVT, I contacted Tom for a tune. He got back to me within days and I had the base tune installed within a week. I was pretty satisfied with the base tune, so I didn't pursue datalogging. After a few weeks however, I noticed a stumbling and lurching at cruising speeds. Didn't think it was tune related, but low and behold the stock tune seemed to make it run better. I got busy, and somewhat forgot about the tune.

After a while I got the tune itch again, and tried to reinstall Tom's base tune. It failed miserably, and almost left me with an untuned and undriveable car. I had to do some tricky workaround just to get the stock tune back on. I knew it was an SCT problem and not a Tom problem, so I sat on it for a while again.

Got ambitious again a few weeks later, and contacted SCT about the problem. An hour later I had a re-formatted tuner, and the tuning process worked flawlessly. (I expected more of a hassle from SCT at this step.) Reinstalled Tom's tune.

More time passes, car starts to stumble and buck worse than before, and stalls when stopping. I contacted Tom about datalogging it before I started throwing parts at it, and we had a nice back and forth datalog and fix session, which eventually fixed the stalling. I didn't, and still don't, think the problem was entirely tune related, but nonetheless the car runs 100% better now.

To summarize this long-winded story: Tom was excellent to work with, very prompt and thorough, and SCT was surprisingly helpful as well.

However, this entire process required a certain amount of patience, effort, automotive and computer knowledge, and motivation on my end that should be expected out of anyone seeking a tune. Every car is different, both from the factory line and over the years and miles. They all require a slightly different tune to run optimally, and it's up to the owner to work with the tuner to make this happen. And Tom is a fantastic tuner to work with.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 80k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune
Old 12-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #45
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84830
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Gray Focus SE Sedan

Points 8,365, Level 61
Points: 8,365, Level: 61 Points: 8,365, Level: 61 Points: 8,365, Level: 61
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 9 crice8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
It appears the OP wanted a tune, but did not get educated on the topic and had no idea what it would actually entail for his specific car.. This is in NO way Tom's fault.

Question to the OP, did you also purchase one of the BS $40 "ecu tunes" from all of the scam sites on the web, then when it did nothing open a dispute?

Tom is a respectable Tuner and provides great customer service and support.

This thread being created shows me that:
1. your either very young or immature or both.
2. You are lacking the common knowledge understanding of how a tune process works, which you should have researched before dropping that much money on it. and finally
3. You must not understand 50% of the words that Tom, or anyone else that has attempted to help you through this process, has said as every one of your posts is not only bad grammar and spelling, but completely and totally illogical and confusing as hell. I mean come on if we all have to read a single one of your posts 3+ times to understand what you are trying to say, then you need to at least try a little harder if you want to be taken seriously!
Galatians 6:14

Last edited by crice8; 12-11-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #46
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 10,751, Level 68
Points: 10,751, Level: 68 Points: 10,751, Level: 68 Points: 10,751, Level: 68
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 60 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Just to add the OP has a SVT which shares the architecture of the newer "Oak "family of processor's, but has the system bus of the earlier EECV. Since the size of the programming file for the SVT is 4 times as large as an EEVC file, it takes a long time to feed the programming thru the slower system bus. So it takes 'bout 15 minutes to flash a SVT processor w/ SCT's Xcal. W/ that said its alot less hassel on the later cars. From what I've read the Diablosport tune w/ the shizen for SVT's. Correct me if I'm wrong. By the way the SVT's were very tempting when I was getting my ST, back in '04.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 12-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #47
pasta
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62350
What I Drive: 2003 eap svt

Points 8,803, Level 63
Points: 8,803, Level: 63 Points: 8,803, Level: 63 Points: 8,803, Level: 63
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 5 pasta Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (40)
i see

shoot did i spell everything correctly

spelling gangstas

Last edited by sleepyboy; 12-11-2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Editied for wording
Old 12-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #48
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Points 8,365, Level 61
Level Up 72% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasta View Post
i see bareback mountain buddies

spelling gangstas
shoooooot i is capitalized lol like this "I", please go somewhere else with your useless bareback mountain buddies comments lmao

Last edited by sleepyboy; 12-11-2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: edit for wording
Old 12-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #49
Black00ZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 104714
What I Drive: '12 Silver Focus

FF Reputation: 3 Black00ZX3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasta View Post
i see

spelling gangstas

Why do you make these types of posts? Everyone here is trying to explain how the tuning process works and help you.

Last edited by sleepyboy; 12-11-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: edited for wording per the previous post above
Old 12-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #50
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Points 8,365, Level 61
Level Up 72% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by old1030 View Post
Why do you make these types of posts? Everyone here is trying to explain how the tuning process works and help you.
Thank you Old... Everyone is just trying to help this guy out by telling him to do a little research and Tom has clearly offered his assistance even here in this thread after this "pasta" has wrongly called him out on something... We can all see who is the victim here... and its not the noddle
Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.