Suggestions for information screen - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91700
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum Forcus SEL 303A

Points 1,131, Level 18
Points: 1,131, Level: 18 Points: 1,131, Level: 18 Points: 1,131, Level: 18
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 flingwing1969 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott7278 View Post
Not much cost to combine four separate screens into one...the car is already capable of displaying the information.

Sent from my Android using FF Mobile.
Scott, I'm not too confident that the computer in our cars is capable of determining miles per gallon of ml per second, if it could I'm pretty sure they would have it available for display somewhere, even my government low-end Impala had the instant fuel consumption display from its computer but it could also display each tire's tps air pressure and a lot of other things that are not available on our Focus - just a more sophisticated computer. But they could certainly program the machine to display four somethings on that little screen.
1974 Dodge W300 Power Wagon dump truck
2002 Kubota B-21 tractor-loader-backhoe
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
aperson9923
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90061
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Ti Hatch

Points 1,804, Level 25
Points: 1,804, Level: 25 Points: 1,804, Level: 25 Points: 1,804, Level: 25
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 aperson9923 Good Standing Member
I would love a couple things
-Instant MPG
-abilities to control music (whats playing etc.) and ability to switch (like ford edge)
-navigation top 5 (arrow to street address and then the voice command comes in, recent addresses that instantly calculate when selected, closet 5 Of each POI (maybe im asking too much
-digital speedo, tach, and other options
-AM/FM tuning?
Mods: Tint 20/5, LockPick & Backup Camera, K&N Drop In
Old 12-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91700
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum Forcus SEL 303A

Points 1,131, Level 18
Points: 1,131, Level: 18 Points: 1,131, Level: 18 Points: 1,131, Level: 18
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 flingwing1969 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson9923 View Post
I would love a couple things
-Instant MPG
-abilities to control music (whats playing etc.) and ability to switch (like ford edge)
-navigation top 5 (arrow to street address and then the voice command comes in, recent addresses that instantly calculate when selected, closet 5 Of each POI (maybe im asking too much
-digital speedo, tach, and other options
-AM/FM tuning?
I'm with you Marin. I'm sure I've tuned station on my Sony before using the arrow keys around the volume control, and I believe we do have a kind-of digital display on the center info center when the speed control is set, the current speed shows in digital form in the left top corner. I don't have nav, I use a Garmin and have used Sync directions - not bad but you have to reset it via a phone call if you go off route or miss a turn instead of simply getting a recalculation - kind of a PITA.
1974 Dodge W300 Power Wagon dump truck
2002 Kubota B-21 tractor-loader-backhoe
Old 12-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #14
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,903, Level 66
Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flingwing1969 View Post
Scott, I'm not too confident that the computer in our cars is capable of determining miles per gallon of ml per second, if it could I'm pretty sure they would have it available for display somewhere, even my government low-end Impala had the instant fuel consumption display from its computer but it could also display each tire's tps air pressure and a lot of other things that are not available on our Focus - just a more sophisticated computer. But they could certainly program the machine to display four somethings on that little screen.
It wasn't a gallon/second calculation, more of a gallon/hr calculation which is an order of magnitude easier.

The high function tft lcd MFD is the same between the European models and the U.S. ones, but they didn't want to overwhelm the average American driver apparently, so the only way to get a lot of the information is to drive around in test mode, although that does hide the trip computer functions in exchange to see hex codes, coolant temperatures, digital tachometers/ speedometers, but those are all one at a time instead of a four + data points at the same time. I want more data not less. Its not as useful to have to stare at one of the four screens when glancing at the instrument panel.

I understand why it doesn't display the gear selection in S auto, because its in automatic mode, its a distinguishing feature between this and when the car is in manual mode. The gear selection should only show up when you need to know what gear you are in, else its supposed to function as an automatic and decide for you, so unless you are in tune with the car you don't know nor care generally what gear the car is in. Besides S auto only goes to 5th gear anyway.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:34 AM   #15
jeff_nc
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106534
What I Drive: 2013 performance blue titanium

Points 701, Level 14
Points: 701, Level: 14 Points: 701, Level: 14 Points: 701, Level: 14
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 jeff_nc Good Standing Member
I have another item for the wish list. How about a one-step reset for trip odometer, trip timer and mpg? I usually want to reset all of these at the same time.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #16
JonathanGennick
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105685
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 JonathanGennick Good Standing Member
This is a fantastic topic. I'd prefer to redesign the entire interface. Flatten the hierarchy, because it's too distracting to have to navigate up, down, left, and right within a menu tree while trying to drive.

Create the following display choices. Use the up/down arrows to cycle through them:

1. Trip meter #1. Display mileage, time, and mpg. Double right-click to reset all three in one go.

2. Speedometer. Show current speed, distance to empty, mpg since startup.

3. Trip meter #2. Display mileage, time, mpg. Double right-click to reset.

4. Traction control. Press OK to toggle between "Disable Traction Control" and "Enable Traction Control".

All displays can include the outside temp and compass direction at the bottom.

I include the traction control toggle for quick access. The times I need that feature are almost always when I'm stuck at a stop sign and unable to move, and cars are piling up, and I need to disable the feature quickly.

I put the Speedometer display in between the trip meters on purpose. That way I can make the speed display my default, and I can get to either trip meter with one click.

No need for a hold-down delay on resetting, nor for any sub menus. Just let me right-click twice quickly to reset the trip meter, so that I can get my attention back on the road. Reset all all three data elements in one go.

One click on the OK button from Display #4 toggles traction control. That's fast and easy, just what you need when under pressure to get moving in a snow-covered intersection.

No need for any submenus at all. They are just a distraction and a danger. Eliminate them. Simplify. Reduce cognitive load from having to drive the interface. Make the goal always to return attention to driving as fast as possible.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #17
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,903, Level 66
Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
This is a fantastic topic. I'd prefer to redesign the entire interface. Flatten the hierarchy, because it's too distracting to have to navigate up, down, left, and right within a menu tree while trying to drive.

Create the following display choices. Use the up/down arrows to cycle through them:

1. Trip meter #1. Display mileage, time, and mpg. Double right-click to reset all three in one go.

2. Speedometer. Show current speed, distance to empty, mpg since startup.

3. Trip meter #2. Display mileage, time, mpg. Double right-click to reset.

4. Traction control. Press OK to toggle between "Disable Traction Control" and "Enable Traction Control".

All displays can include the outside temp and compass direction at the bottom.

I include the traction control toggle for quick access. The times I need that feature are almost always when I'm stuck at a stop sign and unable to move, and cars are piling up, and I need to disable the feature quickly.

I put the Speedometer display in between the trip meters on purpose. That way I can make the speed display my default, and I can get to either trip meter with one click.

No need for a hold-down delay on resetting, nor for any sub menus. Just let me right-click twice quickly to reset the trip meter, so that I can get my attention back on the road. Reset all all three data elements in one go.

One click on the OK button from Display #4 toggles traction control. That's fast and easy, just what you need when under pressure to get moving in a snow-covered intersection.

No need for any submenus at all. They are just a distraction and a danger. Eliminate them. Simplify. Reduce cognitive load from having to drive the interface. Make the goal always to return attention to driving as fast as possible.
I don't like the idea of a giant digital speedometer in the center of the screen as a glowing distraction, besides is it really that hard to read the actual analog speedometer just to the right of the 4.2" lcd?

The whole reason why it requires you to hold the button down for 5-10 seconds to disable the traction control is to make sure you actually intended to turn it off. It is there for legal liability reasons, therefore if it was disabled it was the drivers fault if they wrecked due to conditions or driving too hard and they can't say they accidentally brushed the button and turned it off. Turning it on all you need to do is press the ok button once and its re-enabled.

The same delay on the trip computer reset is a little bit long (especially when you have to reset each item), but again its to confirm the driver's intention, so an accidental press for 1 second does not reset the trip timer/ trip odometer/ average mpg calculation.

Distance to E should be on the trip 1/2 screens as it currently is (although broken up to the 4-5 screens vs the one shown in the European model in the pictures linked to in this thread.

Flattening the menu structure isn't that necessary as long as you're only going between trip one and trip two as it can be done by muscle memory only without actually looking at the screen imo. Can it be done? Yes, but should it be done? Maybe.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #18
JonathanGennick
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I don't like the idea of a giant digital speedometer in the center of the screen as a glowing distraction, besides is it really that hard to read the actual analog speedometer just to the right of the 4.2" lcd?
I'd like the option. But it's valid to argue that there should be only one way to do a thing. So we get rid of the speedo display that I suggested, and that leaves one fewer display option to cycle through. We actually get simpler.

Quote:
The whole reason why it requires you to hold the button down for 5-10 seconds to disable the traction control is to make sure you actually intended to turn it off. It is there for legal liability reasons,
I do not accept that argument. My vehicles in the past with traction control have had simple switches on the dashboard. I see no reason for not having something just as simple today. I have never not been in a hurry when needing to cycle traction control. Having to root around for the option in a menu is not an aspect of Sync's design that I appreciate.

Quote:
The same delay on the trip computer reset is a little bit long (especially when you have to reset each item), but again its to confirm the driver's intention, so an accidental press for 1 second does not reset the trip timer/ trip odometer/ average mpg calculation.
Sure. But it takes too long. Pressing right-click twice in quick succession can serve the same purpose, and it can be done faster, and no need to remove my attention from the road for three or four seconds.

It is also just plain silly to force me to reset each of the three items separately, as is currently the case. The current approach guarantees the three data elements will never be in synch with each other. Plus it takes a long time, a lot of button clicking and holding, and much attention away from the road to reset them.

Quote:
Flattening the menu structure isn't that necessary
Flattening the menu structure is a win. I do not want a Microsoft Start menu on my steering wheel. Simplicity ought to be the goal, not a nested menu structure.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #19
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

Points 124,710, Level 100
Points: 124,710, Level: 100 Points: 124,710, Level: 100 Points: 124,710, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I usually reset all three while sitting at the pump after filling up before I ever put the car back into gear... No need to hurry or worry about my driving. It doesn't take that long
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 12-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #20
JonathanGennick
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_HedgeHog View Post
I usually reset all three while sitting at the pump after filling up before I ever put the car back into gear... No need to hurry or worry about my driving. It doesn't take that long
Even at that, the elapsed time is off. It won't be perfectly in sync with the other two values.

And sometimes one wants to reset whilst driving. In the old days, one would simply push a button on the dash, and job done! Now I have to push and scroll and hold, and do that three times. It's a laughable approach.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.